• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ultrasonic cleaner for brass

marine1833

Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Tuttle,oklahoma
i was just wanting some feed back on the ultrasonic cleaner. is it better to have the ones with heat or not? i have a tumbler but its not cleaning the brass on the inside good enough. any feed back would be appreciated.

Re: ultrasonic cleaner for brass

Reloader grade - cheap - ulrasonics are slow, messy and labor intensive; not worth bothering with, IMHO. All a heater does is speed up the chemical effect of any mild acid you may add to the bath.

Vib tumblers get the insides plenty clean, surgically clean adds nothing. But IF that's what floats your boat, get a rotary tumbler and use the stainless media in a soapy water bath.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner.

I think ultimately a stainless rotary tumbler system is the cream of the crop and cannot be beaten for volume and clean factor.

Ultrasonic is second to the stainless method. I tend to clean between 100-200 cases at a time. That will take me 4 hours with the ultrasonic cleaner.

I would much rather just start a rotary tumbler once and come back later.

I say, if you have the $ for the stainless setup go with that

I run about a half an hour a batch, 200 5.56 or 100 7.62. I'm happy with ultrasonic for my second cleaning. Removing case lube and cleaning primer pockets. First cleaning is to remove dust and dirt for sizing, tumble in corn cob for about an hour. Granted I might do 400 cases in a night because I prep brass in big batches and load as I need it.

I have three ultrasonics and the only reason I still have them is that I clean stuff other than brass with them. I use stainless media for my brass as its THE best way to clean brass, bar none.

Dont waste your time and money on an ultrasonic unless you will use it for something else.

I was thinking about getting an ultrasonic, but after hearing these comments I think I go a different rout.

I was going to fork out the $$$ for the stainless method but at that time stainlesstumblingmedia.com didnt exist... and their prices are much lower than what I was originally going to pay.

Shame, because I will eventually end up with an ultrasonic that I wont use.

I use a Crest ultrasonic machine and use Citranox cleaner (an acidic detergent meant for cleaning brass). The combination works extremely well for cleaning the inside and outside of the cases.

That said, I've been keeping my eye on the stainless method. Haven't taken the plunge but am waiting for the feedback on long term effects to brass hardening.

I just took the plunge... hopefully i have a stainless system within a month from now.

Im over having to run small batches of brass, change solutions, etc etc... and sometimes the necks on my cases dont get a thorough clean and I have to whipe them down or go over them with steel wool.

That said its still a good system and has served me well for some time now.

I just got stainless steel... I will never go back to anything else. Everything is clean and it is pretty painless. but the results are great...

Here's SS media result's.
I obtained the media from a member of this forum.

DSCF1256.jpg

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1258.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

DSCF1265.jpg

Unbelievable how clean the SS gets the brass. Looks like new brass.When i get the cash thats where im going to!!

+1 for Citranox. A gallon will go a long way and does an excellent job in a short time. I have an USC that is NOT the typical type in that it is more industrial and no timer to have to keep resetting.

Noise is a factor IF I don't use a secondary container to hold the brass. I use a 1000ml Pyrex beaker to hold the brass and immerse it in the CN. I also has the benefit of a better cleaning result.

Stainless is the way. My ultrasonic cleaner is used for other things now