• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ultrasonic Cleaner Opinions Wanted

Hiwayman92

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2018
I’m looking at buying a non-reloading specific ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning dies, bolts, maybe some brass (but maybe not) and maybe some small engine carburetors etc.

Do these work well, and is a 3L model large enough, or should I jump to a 6L for twice the price?

I’m more interested in what size you guys are recommending. I don’t want to go too big or too small, and I’m curious if there are certain features that are important such as drain valves or plastic vs metal baskets.

I have the 6 liter plastic construction one. I use it clean my handguns and ar parts. It good enough for me. If I where to buy a new one I would go with the stainless steel one in 6 liter. Better construction from the looks of things. Plus it should cover everything your looking to do.

Reactions: Hiwayman92
I grabbed the smaller harbor freight one just to get going but I think I overworked it and it "ocillates" pitch so I think the ultrasonic motor is shot. Within 90 day period so I may give it another try with a little kinder operation. Seemed to work OK when I got it but need to try some better cleaning solution recipes.

I have a large Crest unit. I “cleaned” the bluing completely off a Les Baer 1911 in about 20 minutes. Use care with “delicate “ items in the larger units.

It does work well for bulk brass and ar15 bolts.

Drain valves are nice, and look for a frequency sweep and degass mode if you can get it. If you are going to do brass in it you need to make sure the holes of the basket are small enough that your brass will not fall through. I use a 10L model that I got off of Amazon from one of those fly-by-night Chinese sellers. Besides the basket holes being too big its been good to me.

Reactions: Hiwayman92
If you’re not wanting to clean brass then they are great for cleaning gun parts and other stuff thy would have carbon built up. I recently picked up a Hornady one with the intention of using it for brass cleaning and after trying many different solutions and recipes from others I just wasn’t happy with how the brass turned out but it is great on my gun parts. I put a bolt carrier group from my SBR that I run suppressed that was very caked up and it cleaned it perfectly in 30 minutes.

I can’t say I’m displeased with my vibratory tumbler, so part of me thinks I’d be better off trying a 3L model for half the price. Dies and gun parts, carbs, etc.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
If you’re not wanting to clean brass then they are great for cleaning gun parts and other stuff thy would have carbon built up. I recently picked up a Hornady one with the intention of using it for brass cleaning and after trying many different solutions and recipes from others I just wasn’t happy with how the brass turned out but it is great on my gun parts. I put a bolt carrier group from my SBR that I run suppressed that was very caked up and it cleaned it perfectly in 30 minutes.

What solution do you use to clean BCG and other gun parts?

I use the 8L from Hornady that has a heater built in. I use Dawn dish liquid soap on: brass, BCG, and barrels. I’ll use the Dawn on anything else as well. It works for me.

Reactions: spoe
Reactions: Badfinger
^^^^^ I have the same one and it works great on BCG and suppressors, all small parts.