Ultrasonic cleaner

hdfireman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Texas
Going to buy an ultrasonic cleaner and looking for some advise. I have looked at the Lyman, Horady and some industrial units on eBay. Would like input on the Lyman and Hornady. Also if I go with a different brand does the watts or Hz(40,50,60) make a difference? Any info will help and thanks in advance.

Woj8541

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2010
Yakima, Washington
Re: Ultrasonic cleaner

I bought the small Hornady model a while back. I like it for small batches of .308. The only frustrating thing is the operation timer; the longest you can run that machine is 480 seconds. I find that I need at least 4 cycles to get the cases cleaned. It's a pain to keep going back to the shop to run another cycle every 10 minutes or so.

As a side note, the Hornady solution is less than desirable when it comes to efficient cleaning. I've found that using a tablespoon of citric acid, a tablespoon of Dawn dish detergent and distilled water works much better, and is a whole lot cheaper.

Cheers

texasleftychef

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Fort Worth, Texas

I think the best way to go is Harbor Freight. It's cheaper and just as good in my opinion.

I know that's not exactly what you asked, I definitely think you should consider it as well.

hdfireman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Texas

I have no problem getting one from there but don't know if you need a certain watt or Hz rating for cleaning brass good

hdfireman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Texas

Yes that one does look just like the Lyman but $20-30 cheaper

rusty815

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I bought an isonic package from amazon. It was pretty cheap, and it comes with brass solution and a metal basket, I hear the brass solution it comes with is actually pretty good.

pdice

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2010

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdfireman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to buy an ultrasonic cleaner and looking for some advise. I have looked at the Lyman, Horady and some industrial units on eBay. Would like input on the Lyman and Hornady. Also if I go with a different brand does the watts or Hz(40,50,60) make a difference? Any info will help and thanks in advance.</div></div>

Skip it. I went the same route. First, the lyman and hornady are just repacking of other units. Second, the stainless media method is infinitely better.

I went and got the harbor freight one, which is what lyman has put their name on now. Harbor freight usually has a ton of deals and coupons, so I got it super cheap.

oosickness

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2011
California

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texasleftychef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

This is the one that I have and it has worked well for me. I just looked at it and it said it's 50/60hz.

I don't know if they are the same but the Lyman machine looks exactly the same as well. </div></div>

put INSURE20 in the coupon code for 20% i think ill buy one right now

srt-4_uk

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
Nebraska

Another vote for the Harbor Freight cleaner. Again, the 480sec max timer is a inconvenience but I'm happy with the money saved vs. a larger/more expensive commercial unit.

DeadNoise

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2008
Elko, NV

I have the hornady as well with the same problem with the timer being so short. kinda sucks but oh well it works.

Leaddog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2009
Delaware

Save your money and go stainless. No comparison. I sent a Hornady unit back.

Rootshot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2006
SF Bay Area

I'm with you. It just takes too much time to fiddle with an ultrasonic cleaner. I went back to a vibratory tumbler with walnut media, but stainless media looks like the ultimate solution.

--Rootshot

mkollman74

Quo Vadis?
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Nov 5, 2009
    WA, USA

I use stainless media in a Thumler's Tumbler for bulk cleaning of brass. In my mind, it can't be beat for ease and results. I purchased the Harbor Freight ultrasonic unit, but only use it to get the sizing die lube off. For that purpose, the 480 second cycle seems to work fine. As Caylen said, citric acid works well (at least for my purposes).

KTDLS7

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Apr 11, 2010
    D-FW, TX

Regarding watts & Hz simplified:

Watts is the power consumption of the unit.

Hz (40, 50, 60) is the frequency of the alternating current from the wall socket. The standard in the U.S. is 60Hz. Europe and South America is 50Hz, unless it's changed in the last 15 years.

Don't know where 40 Hz is used - that would sure make fluorescent lamps appear to flicker.
    smile.gif

There may be another frequency spec referencing the ultra-sonic itself.

Kevin

DCR

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Apr 15, 2010
    CT

I picked up a harbor freight one a few months back. It works. I just prefer the set and forget of vibratory cleaning.

K_4c

running & gunning
    Minuteman
    Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska

Hornaday unit does not impress me.... On to SS as I've seen first hand how much better it works.

Skum

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Dec 30, 2011
    Dunmore, PA

thumlers model high speed model b
    5lb ss pins lemi shine dawn done deal

bass looks like gold

Leaddog

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Oct 15, 2009
    Delaware

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thumlers model high speed model b
    5lb ss pins lemi shine dawn done deal

bass looks like gold </div></div>

Or fine jewelry. Nothing better