• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultrasonic cleaner

hdfireman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Texas
Going to buy an ultrasonic cleaner and looking for some advise. I have looked at the Lyman, Horady and some industrial units on eBay. Would like input on the Lyman and Hornady. Also if I go with a different brand does the watts or Hz(40,50,60) make a difference? Any info will help and thanks in advance.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaner

I bought the small Hornady model a while back. I like it for small batches of .308. The only frustrating thing is the operation timer; the longest you can run that machine is 480 seconds. I find that I need at least 4 cycles to get the cases cleaned. It's a pain to keep going back to the shop to run another cycle every 10 minutes or so.

As a side note, the Hornady solution is less than desirable when it comes to efficient cleaning. I've found that using a tablespoon of citric acid, a tablespoon of Dawn dish detergent and distilled water works much better, and is a whole lot cheaper.

Cheers

I think the best way to go is Harbor Freight. It's cheaper and just as good in my opinion.

I know that's not exactly what you asked, I definitely think you should consider it as well.

I have no problem getting one from there but don't know if you need a certain watt or Hz rating for cleaning brass good

Yes that one does look just like the Lyman but $20-30 cheaper

I bought an isonic package from amazon. It was pretty cheap, and it comes with brass solution and a metal basket, I hear the brass solution it comes with is actually pretty good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hdfireman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going to buy an ultrasonic cleaner and looking for some advise. I have looked at the Lyman, Horady and some industrial units on eBay. Would like input on the Lyman and Hornady. Also if I go with a different brand does the watts or Hz(40,50,60) make a difference? Any info will help and thanks in advance.</div></div>

Skip it. I went the same route. First, the lyman and hornady are just repacking of other units. Second, the stainless media method is infinitely better.

I went and got the harbor freight one, which is what lyman has put their name on now. Harbor freight usually has a ton of deals and coupons, so I got it super cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texasleftychef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

This is the one that I have and it has worked well for me. I just looked at it and it said it's 50/60hz.

I don't know if they are the same but the Lyman machine looks exactly the same as well. </div></div>

put INSURE20 in the coupon code for 20% i think ill buy one right now

Another vote for the Harbor Freight cleaner. Again, the 480sec max timer is a inconvenience but I'm happy with the money saved vs. a larger/more expensive commercial unit.

I have the hornady as well with the same problem with the timer being so short. kinda sucks but oh well it works.

Save your money and go stainless. No comparison. I sent a Hornady unit back.

I'm with you. It just takes too much time to fiddle with an ultrasonic cleaner. I went back to a vibratory tumbler with walnut media, but stainless media looks like the ultimate solution.

--Rootshot

I use stainless media in a Thumler's Tumbler for bulk cleaning of brass. In my mind, it can't be beat for ease and results. I purchased the Harbor Freight ultrasonic unit, but only use it to get the sizing die lube off. For that purpose, the 480 second cycle seems to work fine. As Caylen said, citric acid works well (at least for my purposes).

Regarding watts & Hz simplified:

Watts is the power consumption of the unit.

Hz (40, 50, 60) is the frequency of the alternating current from the wall socket. The standard in the U.S. is 60Hz. Europe and South America is 50Hz, unless it's changed in the last 15 years.

Don't know where 40 Hz is used - that would sure make fluorescent lamps appear to flicker.
smile.gif

There may be another frequency spec referencing the ultra-sonic itself.

Kevin

I picked up a harbor freight one a few months back. It works. I just prefer the set and forget of vibratory cleaning.

Hornaday unit does not impress me.... On to SS as I've seen first hand how much better it works.

thumlers model high speed model b
5lb ss pins lemi shine dawn done deal

bass looks like gold

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thumlers model high speed model b
5lb ss pins lemi shine dawn done deal

bass looks like gold </div></div>

Or fine jewelry. Nothing better