• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ultrasonic cleaner

Oneshotkill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2010
North Georgia
What brand/model ultrasonic cleaner do you hide reloaders use? Looking for a dependable one and don't mind spending for quality.

Re: Ultrasonic cleaner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneshotkill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nevermind, saw a video on SS media for cleaning. I am going to try that out. </div></div>

LoL!!!! I was just going to say forget about Ultrasonic. I went from vibratory too ultrasonic and then too SS MEDIA TUMBLING.

There is no comparison. SS tumbling for me evermore & forever. And if you have to get them wet then it might as well be from SS media tumbling.

Have fun, it's awesome!!!

Stainless seems like an awful lot of work though. I have considered switching over but I found a good media-polish combo that cleans inside and out and makes the brass literally look better than new for my vibratory tumbler.

Hey, SVT, can I get your combo? My solution right now cleans the brass inside and out like its no ones business, but it doesn't quite polish the brass like I would like it to.

My cleaning solution mixes 2 tablespoons of anhydrous (powdered) citric acid in 1 gallon of tap water, with a splash of dishwashing detergent (such as Dawn).

1. Fill the ultrasonic cleaner tank with tap water, to 1" below the maximum fill line.
2. Fill a 600ml Pyrex or Kimax laboratory beaker about half-way with cleaning solution.
3. Place the beaker in the tank and allow the cleaning solution to go through 3 or 4 8-minute cycles. This will remove the bubbles from the solution and enhance its cleaning ability.
4. Place 25-30 de-primed cases in the beaker and run for 3 8-minute cycles.
5. 1 8-minute bath using hot tap water.
6. 1 8-minute bath using distilled water.
7. Place cases (mouth up) in a loading block and permit to dry (air dry or hair blow dryer).

Works great for me.

Hornady Ultrasonic Solution work fine for me.

100 .308 cases in Thumler's Tumbler model B, 9mm case full of Lemishine, two tablespoons Dawn or Ivory. Tumble 2 hours and then rinse, dry with whatever effective method you come up with.

I could never match this performance with ultrasonic. I do lots more quantity in less time with better results with SS. Ultrasonic was good enough but not as fast for larger quantity or as thorough. Of course I didn't use a large capacity ultrasonic cleaner.

I just have a jeweler's ultra sonic. I get about 30 rifle casings in it. I only use it for deep tarnished cases, all my tumbling is vibratory dry.

I use Hornady Ultrasonic Solution as well.

Is there a concern that stainless tumbling media will works the brass and cause it to harden?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Hornady Ultrasonic Solution as well.

Is there a concern that stainless tumbling media will works the brass and cause it to harden? </div></div>

That's a proven myth.
Check out the SS media thread, it's 51 page's long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, SVT, can I get your combo? My solution right now cleans the brass inside and out like its no ones business, but it doesn't quite polish the brass like I would like it to.</div></div>

When I get home and I make it out to the garage, Ill take a photo of the polish I use. I add around a teaspoon worth to dry, untreated corncob/walnut mix (50/50 mix) and then just let it run for 2-3 hours. It comes out sparkling, and looking better than new. The only thing I need to occasionally do is clean out the primer pockets with a primer pocket brush, but it usually cleans them up to the point where its a non-issue.

Finally made some time to get some photos.. Sorry for the delay. Its called Xtreme Shine. I was assured it was ammonia free.

Looks like their website is down, but their number is 1-866-367-4583. The stuff was cheap and has lasted me around a year and a half and Ive only used around a third of the bottle. (16 oz)

8343918006_43ce298f2f_b.jpg