• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultrasonic cleaning does not fully clean primer pocket

LostInTranslation

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2020
Tried ultrasonic cleaning for the first time today. Used 40C temp, RCBS cleaning solution, 20min cycle. Brass is clean but primer pockets still have marks in them. Any suggestions?

I never cared, it gets them clean enough. Every few firings or so I ream the pockets anyway.

The rcbs case prep stationhas a spinning wire brush made for primers, 2 actually, large and small. Also lee makes a good cleaner thats double sided.

Try a 30 minute cycle. After that you can pull them out and while wet, spin a Q-Tip in the pocket. The carbon is soft at this point and will wipe right out. Yes i know its an extra step but my cases are as clean on the inside as they are on the outside

When I went from shooting 200 rounds per year to 2000 rounds per year, I quickly stopped cleaning primer pockets. I have not cleaned a primer pocket in 5 years. Least year I shot just shy of 5000 rounds of prs style shooting and the wife shot the same. Guess who the lucky fucker was that got to load all that ammo.

Use GOOD brass and GOOD (Berger or customs) bullets. Use handlapped barrels chambered by good gunsmiths. FL size so shoulders are bumped .002-.003. Tumble in rice, walnut, or corncob. Charge case with autotrickler. Seat bullet. Anneal cases every 3 firings. Trim as needed. Shoot .5 moa or better with no bullshit. It is easy.

Clean primer pockets make zero difference unless you are trying to knock every .005" off of your groups.

Reactions: MarshallDodge