• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultrasonic Question

QuiggyB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Houston, TX
Question about using something like Ed's Red in an ultrasonic cleaner on firearm parts. So far seems to work well and get them very clean. Question is will it act as a rust preventive lubricant as well or do I need to do something else to prevent rust?

Re: Ultrasonic Question

What is in Ed's Red? I have heard of that but don't recall the reciepe. Isn't one of the components transmission fluid? If so, I would say that might help prevent some rusting....

Here's a link to the recipe and mixing instructions

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

Basically its:

1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
1 part Aliphatic (low odor) Mineral Spirits

(I left out the acetone)

They say its good for 30 days but I was wondering what peoples experiences have been.

I use Ed's Red for ultrasonicating the bolt carrier group of my ARs. The kerosene and ATF are lower vapor pressure components that should leave a film on the parts for quite some time at ambient conditions and provide rust protection. The other two components will evaporate away pretty quickly. However I'm not sure how fast this film would cook off during shooting when the parts get hot. I only use the Ed's red as a degreaser and cleaner. When my parts are clean I wipe off the Ed's Red and put a light coating of 10W-30 synthetic motor oil on them and reassemble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuiggyB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No issues with junk accumulating on the 10w-30? </div></div>

My SOP is to do a quick field strip, clean & lube every 100 rounds at the range with my ARs. The oil looks plenty dirty when I wipe if off the parts but I think any lube would. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if other lubes work longer than 10W-30 before problems arise cycling the action. But since the motor oil is cheap and always available in my garage and it seems to do a fine job protecting the bolt and carrier and I have no problems getting out 100 rounds without problems I'm Ok with it.