• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Ultrasonic sinks

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
I'm thinking of getting an ultrasonic sink to clean my suppressors-- anyone have a preference? For the few times I would use it during the year, I was considering a Harbor Freight unit.

Any experiences?

Re: Ultrasonic sinks

Ultrasonics work great on SS cans, Aluminum is a no-no though, the cavitation will damage the anodizing. Jury is still out on Ti cans, not enough testing done to see if it actually damages them or not.

i use a harbor freight for cleaning brass. seems to work well. I use it with lyman turbo sonic. I've never used it on a suppressor.

FWIW: the aluminum in a Ti alloy is susceptable to erosion from ultrasound just as it is in an Al alloy. The reality is probably this: you paid for it, now you get to take the risk, or not. I recommend that my customers and friends keep anything with aluminum OUT of the ultrasonic cleaner.

As a confirmation test, use a 1" square piece of aluminum foil. Weigh it and then run it in an ultrasonic for an hour, then weigh it again. Or put your anodized tube in there and watch the black finish magically disappear.

As far as the cleaners go, I have used and sold a Hornady small cleaner, and now I have the one-gallon-ish sized Crest, which I am very happy with. I usually run water and a bit of dish soap or simple green. And no aluminum
smile.gif

So the question now is are the TI suppressors safe for US cleaning? I would think if they are safe for the dip, then they are safe for US cleaning as well. However, I could be wrong.

Anyone have any direct experience?