• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unconventional reloading technique?

Krob95

Black Multicam Master Race
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    Howdy folks, I have an interesting idea to save some money of sizing dies and was wondering if it's possible. Can you take the barrel off your rifle, I.e. an AI or terminus, and put a fired case into the chamber, take a ball peen hammer, and smack it medium hard to get your shoulder set back? Then for the neck sizing take said case and smack the neck with the hammer and expand it with the bullet?

IMG_0328.jpg

3-Fired brass or above I prefer a 2 pound sledge. YMMV

Howdy folks, I have an interesting idea to save some money of sizing dies and was wondering if it's possible. Can you take the barrel off your rifle, I.e. an AI or terminus, and put a fired case into the chamber, take a ball peen hammer, and smack it medium hard to get your shoulder set back? Then for the neck sizing take said case and smack the neck with the hammer and expand it with the bullet?
    Initially that's exactly how reloading was done. And for powder measurements we would simply cut a case down to make powder scoops. And remember for Loose primer pockets you peen those primers in, kind like when you would a loose pin, screw, bearing etc

Hell ya it works

I use a 2 lbs for normal sizing

Hit er with the 8 lbs for cartridges requiring a “small base die”

• Haha
    Reactions: Doc68 and JimTN
    I'm assuming it's best to de-prime/prime the fired case(s) BEFORE inserting the case into the chamber to perform the "sizing" function", correct ???

Asking for a friend. Honest

I'm assuming it's best to de-prime/prime the fired case(s) BEFORE inserting the case into the chamber to perform the "sizing" function", correct ???

Asking for a friend. Honest
    I always deprime then prime, then size with a medium hard tap. Only got three piece of fragmented primer in my eyes so I'd say it practically fool proof

That's the exact power needed to get .002 bump. A "hard" hit will get you closer to .004
    Exactly. Don't want to over work the brass. Ive been annealing with a campfire, seems to be working so far but want to be careful

Good thinking, wheres a good place to find one? I'll try that out this evening

tenor (1).gif

This is the dumbest thread on this forum. I've just ruined four barrels trying this. Two of the barrels won't thread back on, the other two have cases stuck in the chamber. I tried knocking them out with a cleaning rod, but the case head separated leaving the rest of the case in the chamber. 😡

This is the dumbest thread on this forum. I've just ruined four barrels trying this. Two of the barrels won't thread back on, the other two have cases stuck in the chamber. I tried knocking them out with a cleaning rod, but the case head separated leaving the rest of the case in the chamber. 😡
    Did you lube the cases?

• Haha
    Reactions: armorpl8chikn

Have you tried Hornady One Shot?
    Its the best, awesome, bestest ever.
    You were probably using ISDW. Only amateurs use that shit.

• Wow
    Reactions: Krob95 and KZP
    Beam scale? Easy there Rockefeller...

006-90100.jpg
    Yep a good old RCBS beam scale, powder dipped out of a bowl with a spoon stolen from the kitchen on to the scale pan. Talk about slow, but as I said, it worked. Besides, no retailer in our area carried that fancy snuff dippin set.

I told ya, maky your own dipping cup...just need an empty case and a hacksaw or file.

Have you tried Hornady One Shot?
    Funny you say that I use that on some stuff, never had a single issue.

I don’t think people are applying it or mixing it well. I use wax only on some dies also.

I told ya, maky your own dipping cup...just need an empty case and a hacksaw or file.
    In those days, brass was hard to come by and cutting it up just to make a dipping cup was a serious step. Powder, bullets and primers were cheap, but not if you consider that I was earning .$75.00 a week and proud to be getting that much. Cutting up good brass was not to be done.

Reactions: 6.5SH
    That can't be it, I run my chambers extra wet, re-checked every ten shots or so.
    There's the problem. Gotta make sure it's bone dry. A light surface coat of rust may help

Hopefully it was an A.I. barrel and nothing of importance was lost.

Similiar to how I dump powder….fill up the case and scrape the top with a butter knife.

59ACBDA3-BBFF-4B71-B15F-6405C5B4AFA5.gif

Reactions: Krob95
    Oh heck, just grab a rifle, unscrew the barrel and hacksaw off the area just past the throat. Grab your cases and drive them in with your hammer. When you get it sized, use that hammer to seat the primer. Then drive out the case, pour in some powder, chunk a bullet on top and hammer it home. When you have finished reloading, just weld the sawed off portion back on, screw the barrel back on and go shooting. Think of all the money you will save on buying all those reloading dies, presses, and all that other assorted junk.

Why saw off the barrel? Makes it easier to kick out the case. (The steel punch would be a lot shorter and you wouldn’t damage the rifling).

That bridge in London, England is still for sale….Good price on the bridge. Call me.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: NoDopes and Krob95
    Similiar to how I dump powder….fill up the case and scrape the top with a butter knife.

No shit a guy was reloading like that with a Model 70 in 30-06. Sheared the lugs off the bolt and the only thing keeping it from flying was the bolt handle. He took it to a gunsmith I know claiming it was a manufacturing defect and wanted Winchester to pay for it.

Reactions: Krob95