• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Under $2,000 scope for PRS Production Class

RCB49

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2020
I am new to the long range game and just ordered a production class rifle from MPA in 6mm cr. I now need a scope for it and want to stay under the $2,000 mark to stay in production class but more importantly that is my budget limit. I am just starting my scope search but the Burris XTR III and the Vortex Razor gen II have me interest right now. I am look for a scope in the 5-25 power range but may consider another range. I am not sure if the newer less renown scopes are better now then the older razor gen iI. I appreciate any advice.

Go with the Burris XTR3. It's an excellent optic, amazing field of view., super easy eyebox, bright glass..

Brand new for a great price..

I don’t think he can get a razor.

doesn’t production class mean it has to be under $2k MSRP??

I maybe wrong here but if Vortex comes out this summer with a Gen III Razor I would expect the MSRP on the Gen II would fall below $2,000 like the current Razor Gen I. I know that is a big assumption on my part.

I do not want to over think the scope purchase I just want to get the best scope possible under $2,000 and I think this mid range category has a lot of quality variances.

Thanks for the responses they are helpful.

I just watched a YouTube video on Bushnell’s XRS II and it sounds like that is another nice scope in this range.

Still looking for new info on the Tract Toric as suggested.

I should get my rifle in about a month so I have a little time to make up my mind and look for a good deal. Between the Vortex Gen II, Burris XTR III and Bushnell XRS II the best deal will probably be a big influence on what direction I go. Probably cannot go wrong with either one.

Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 qualifies for production class too.
the Razor gen2 does not. it's not about street price, but rather MSRP.

I should get my rifle in about a month so I have a little time to make up my mind and look for a good deal.

GAP is selling the XRS II for 10% off, and including a Kestrel in the price. Whether or not this is a good deal likely depends on whether you have a Kestrel already, and whether you want one.

Have you looked at the Athlon Cronus BTR? It’s below the MSRP threshold and gets good reviews.

You cannot use the gen 2 razor for production. I have a Cronus btr on my production rifle and it’s a great scope for the money!

I just looked at the Cronus and it looks like a very nice scope in my price range. Man, there are more quality options than I thought and I need to put together my top 2 and make a decision. Thanks for all the help.

I would take a look at the new Tract Toric 4.5-30x56. MSRP is well under $2k and it is a really solid optic.
I got a really good buy on a Vortex Razor AMG, if I had not, the Tract would have been my next choice. I already have one Toric 30mm and it’s great. I’m not 100% sure why they don’t get a lot of attention. My best guess is they don’t have dealers that push their stuff so they depend on word of mouth and what little time they have for social networking.

I got a really good buy on a Vortex Razor AMG, if I had not, the Tract would have been my next choice. I already have one Toric 30mm and it’s great. I’m not 100% sure why they don’t get a lot of attention. My best guess is they don’t have dealers that push their stuff so they depend on word of mouth and what little time they have for social networking.

They really are fantastic optics. I have two of their 4-20x50 optics and have been beating the hell out of them for the last 2 years. You would not believe how many scopes those two on my rifles have sold. People get behind them, use the scope for awhile and are always amazed when I tell them the price. In the 1-2k price range I don’t think the new Toric really has any competition. I know I’m getting one as soon as they arrive later this month.

One of my shooting buddies has the toric. I can vouch for the value in them too. The new one coming out looks great.

Youre best bet will be to just pick one and go shoot. We all get nailed down by analysis paralysis, but its a hell of a lot more fun to be at the range. Any of the options here are great choices, just confirm the msrp is below 2k before you pull the trigger.

Reactions: stilesg57
They really are fantastic optics. I have two of their 4-20x50 optics and have been beating the hell out of them for the last 2 years. You would not believe how many scopes those two on my rifles have sold. People get behind them, use the scope for awhile and are always amazed when I tell them the price. In the 1-2k price range I don’t think the new Toric really has any competition. I know I’m getting one as soon as they arrive later this month.
The only thing I don’t like about the AMG is there is no way to tell where you are in the adjustment. It’s nice the tract at least moves vertically, I don’t need some fancy button to pop out in the rotation but it is cool. The clarity of the Toric is unreal.

They don't have any dealers. That's their whole sales structure.

Reactions: dieseltech82
They don't have any dealers. That's their whole sales structure.
I understand that. On side it’s been good for buyers as the prices are very good. On the other, brand recognition and increased sales will improve the company financially and ensure your $1500 optic is serviceable and sellable for years to come. On the other, increase on demand would increase prices.

I have owned a couple of Cronus and they are very comparable in my eyes to the Razer II. Lot of scope for the money.

I have a Bushnell XRS2 on my production class. I’ve also used the DMR2 and find that both are great optics for the money. All of the above suggestions will suit you fine. My advice is buy the best quality you can afford that has a reticle that you like.

After some thought I just order a Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27 ebr7c mil reticle from Liberty Optics. I concluded for $1,600 it was the best proven scope in that price range. I will just shoot the non production class if this scope does not get a retail down grade when the Gen 3 comes out.

I felt a little uneasy ordering the scope from a webpage that was so outdated. It actually looks sketchy in this day and age but so many snipershide members have used it with no issues. Looking forward to the scope’s arrival.

After some thought I just order a Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27 ebr7c mil reticle from Liberty Optics. I concluded for $1,600 it was the best proven scope in that price range. I will just shoot the non production class if this scope does not get a retail down grade when the Gen 3 comes out.

I did the same thing for basically the same thought process last year. The G3 is still not out ha.

At the very least I’m getting great practice and will have a nice bench rest rifle scope if the G3 doesn’t bump the G2 below $2k MSRP and I just decide to get the Tract anyway so I can actually compete.

If I knew I was going to go straight to PRS Production class shooting and was going to seriously try to move up the finish ladder, I’d go with the new Tract to start.

I felt a little uneasy ordering the scope from a webpage that was so outdated. It actually looks sketchy in this day and age but so many snipershide members have used it with no issues. Looking forward to the scope’s arrival.
Don't worry about the web page. You made a good choice with Liberty. You will be looking thru that Razor a lot more than you looked at the site.

• Haha
Reactions: stilesg57
Find a used Vortex Gen II Razor 4.5-27 here in the PX section. Generally they sell for 1600-1800 depending on reticle. To me its the best bang for your buck sub $2k optic.

That scope would not allow him qualify for the production class, the MSRP is over 2k

I’m looking to get set up for production next year and I am looking at the vortex razor hd 5-20 or the bushnell xrs-II 4.5-30. They are super close on street price and I’m wondering which one has the better glass, I probably don’t need the 30x magnification but if the glass is better that’s more of what I’m interested in.

I’m looking to get set up for production next year and I am looking at the vortex razor hd 5-20 or the bushnell xrs-II 4.5-30. They are super close on street price and I’m wondering which one has the better glass, I probably don’t need the 30x magnification but if the glass is better that’s more of what I’m interested in.

In my experience, the Bushnell has the better glass. Also consider the DMR2 Pro if you don't want/need the 30x top end. The Pro has the same glass as the XRS2 but in a 3.5-21x magnification range.

Reactions: Akkid17