• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Underground Skunkworks 308 Perseus - Left Handed

JSTARSZ

Lefty's Rule
Minuteman
  • Feb 6, 2008
    Wolftown
    I got my left handed Perseus from Underground Skunkworks - Mike Bush on Friday, 1 July 2011. I had family in this weekend so I didn't get to wring out a lot other than zeroing but I did have some fun with it. I will start off by saying that working this project with Mike Bush was a pleasure. I changed the whole build on him from an Infidel to a Perseus and he didn't blink an eye.

The rifle: it is the one and only left handed Perseus and will be the only one under the Underground Skunkworks name, That in of its self is kind of cool. The barrel is 20 inches Bartlein 1:11 twist with a Manner's T4A stock. The fit and finish of this rifle is phenomenal. Scope is a USO Optics 3.2 x 17 that I got from Scott Berish at Liberty Optics. That is my first USO and all I have to say is WOW.

PerseusII.jpg

I brought some of my normal reloads to the range:
    Winchester Brass - 168 AMAX - 43.5 GR's Winchester 748 at 2.810 COAL. After zeroing it I settled in to do one five round group: I could see through the optic that it was making one ragged hole: The group was in the prone, Atlas Bi-Pod front and Tab Bag rear - it was not locked into a vice.
    Perseus.jpg

The one in the upper left is the group I shot but the one in the center is from my daughter who rarely shoots - four round group.

The rifle is a pleasure to shoot. My daughter, who is all of 105 pounds, said it was really nice and didn't hurt my shoulder. That is very telling coming from her.

Perseus_Down.jpg

I have had two lefty builds this year from Hide sponsored Smiths, Mark Gordon at Short Action Custom's and now Mike Bush at Underground Skunkworks. Both the rifles are top quality and both of them are great people to deal with - pure gentlemen with great talent. I would not hesitate to recommend either of them to friends for a build.

Now I wait for my Thunderbeast 30-P1 for the Perseus - that will be some time before I get that.

Re: Underground Skunkworks 308 Perseus - Left Handed

Now thats one hell of a 4TH July firework. looks great

Thats 1 nice rifle and Mike builds one hell of a stick. What a way to top off the 4th. Not to sure from the picture, was your metal done in green or gray?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats 1 nice rifle and Mike builds one hell of a stick. What a way to top off the 4th. Not to sure from the picture, was your metal done in green or gray?</div></div> It is actually green. I just need to learn how to use my camera.

Nice rifle. I'm happy that you posted some targets. That is what I've been waiting to see from those who own one of Mike's builds.

What surprised me was that was with zero load work up. I just grabbed my go to load that I use for my GAP SASS. I can only imagine that it will get even better with working up loads or I got lucky on my first try. The 5 rounds went into .55 MOA which for me is awesome. I love the fit of the Manners T4A. I now have two Manners stocks, a T2 and a T4A and can't be happier.

New rifles are like a new car, the more you drive them the better you get for the feel of it. I bet with some fine tuning and some time behind it they wil be bug holes. Look what you daughter did, if it was'nt for the flier she would be doing just as well as dad maybe better. Whatch out, she may just stand you up and make you look bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What surprised me was that was with zero load work up. I just grabbed my go to load that I use for my GAP SASS. I can only imagine that it will get even better with working up loads or I got lucky on my first try. The 5 rounds went into .55 MOA which for me is awesome. I love the fit of the Manners T4A. I now have two Manners stocks, a T2 and a T4A and can't be happier. </div></div>

I'm wishing I would've ordered a T4A instead of the McM A5 that's inbound. Get some close ups of that beauty some time if you can. BTW, your daughter shoots better than half the guys I shoot with.
    smile.gif

I will take it outside and get some better pics. It was really dark at the range yesterday as it was about to rain.

Most of the women I take to range all do well. Give them instruction and they actually listen and shoot lights out.

awesome rifle, can't wait to go out to shoot my UGSW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chillindrdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome rifle, can't wait to go out to shoot my UGSW</div></div> What, you have not taken yours out yet? Maybe we need to set-up a time to take the two out for a ride.

Very nice rifle and excellent first groups. I don't know how you held out so long. I would have ditched the family quick to get some range time with this one.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chillindrdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome rifle, can't wait to go out to shoot my UGSW</div></div> What, you have not taken yours out yet? Maybe we need to set-up a time to take the two out for a ride.

Sweet rifle... I'm hoping I will have mine in hand soon. Nice shooting too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hamr56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice rifle and excellent first groups. I don't know how you held out so long. I would have ditched the family quick to get some range time with this one.
    smile.gif
    </div></div> ditching the family gets me in trouble with the wife which in turn makes it harder for weapon purchases later so make one happy to get things later.
    smirk.gif