• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unertal M14 Mount

DocLes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
ARKANSAS
I was able to purchase one of these. I am of the understanding that not many were produced for the civillion market. Could someone give me a little history of this mount,and give me an idea of how many were built? I have a M14 SUPER MATCH I am going to put it on, along with a USO MST-100. Will post a pic when it's done.

Re: Unertal M14 Mount

The Springfield Armory, Inc. Fourth Generation M1A scope mount looks very similar to the Unertl M14 scope mount, IMHO. I think Unertl Optical only sold its M14 scope mounts for about a year. From <span style="font-style: italic">M14 Rifle History and Development</span> Fifth Edition:

"Unertl Optical Company - In the summer of 2006, Unertl developed two prototype design M14 scope mounts. Both mounts were improved versions of the basic Brookfield Precision Tool design. Both models were made from alloy steel and had forward and rear M1913 Picatinny rail pads. The shorter of the two prototypes was about 6 " long. The rail pads had four slots each with the rear rail pad extending approximately 3/4 " past the front edge of the rear sight cover. The longer scope mount had an overall length of about 7 " with six front slots and two rear slots. The front rail pad of the longer mount reaches 2 " past the receiver barrel ring. This version better accommodates dot sight optics and scopes greater than 10X magnification. The open space between the two rail pads was designed to avoid stovepiping of spent cases. Both prototype scope mounts were marked on the left side UNERTL ORDNANCE with the company logo to the right of the lettering. The longer Unertl scope mount became available for sale in February 2007."

Re: Unertal M14 Mount

Docles, these scope mounts were basically produced for the civilian market in two different versions (Ted Brown was selling them, but not a lot were ever produced). I presume the scope mount is marked Unertl Ordnance,this company really has no association with the original Unertl company of Marine Corp fame other than name. I did hear they made some fine 1911 at one point, but I do not think they are still in business.