• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes UNERTL Sniper scope 10x USMC

Re: UNERTL Sniper scope 10x USMC

Arctic,
I'll scan and send you my 1348 and the reject tag. I "legally" owned mine and I believe there are a VERY few that were "awarded" to certain key players in the USMC sniper program. While I will in all likelihood never see the one I had again, I can honestly say I once owned one, as verified by Capt. Mxxxxxx and his JAG inquiry. Was I stupid for sending it back? Most will say yes, but I bet there are more than a few with time on their DD214 that will say No.

Why did that Gunnerside dude delete all his post? Did Frank hurt his little feelings? Or did he find out he was just a puppy and had to stay on the porch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">puppy, I didn't do anything </div></div>
Shameless abuse of power!
grin.gif

Seemed like a guy who wanted affirmation not information.
He may stay away.

I just learned the USMC no longer uses the Unertl scopes.

Only one I ever saw was when Major Lang spoke to our gun club. At the time, he did not even own one. He 'borrowed' one from Quantico for the talk. He made a point of saying how important it was for the property to be returned in the morning. I was impressed both with his talk and the equipment he displayed.

Jerry

Hi ,
Just a quick note ,the first M40A1,had Redfield scopebase/mount
as of M40. And not slotted reciver. Next step up was new more solid base/rings ,and for that reciver jobb too.
And I have used mine in all kinds of weather ,and it does the jobb well done
smile.gif

And of course ,there are mutch better scope out there,as mine S&B PM2,but they dont have that "good" feel
cool.gif
And all respect to GI who has used it,and still does to...keep up the good work !!!

Trained and taught with both the USMC Unertl and the Leupold M3A and I can tell you that given an option for a mission I would take the M3A. Little stuff like quick adjust parallax, scope shade, finish, superior lens coatings, and a laser filter make a big difference.

Not sure about the shade, finish and coating, but I do know that the USO filters are about as good as you can get and the coatings that they are now using is pretty darn good as well.
Sure there are better, but I'd be hard pressed to say it is on things other than the design of the scope itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angelone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trained and taught with both the USMC Unertl and the Leupold M3A and I can tell you that given an option for a mission I would take the M3A. Little stuff like quick adjust parallax, scope shade, finish, superior lens coatings, and a laser filter make a big difference.
</div></div>

Funny, I was reading up on Unertl optics since I was unclear on the history of this scope and I see that angelone pulled his post right from a post made on Snipercounty.com back in 1999. Last post by "gooch".

I saw that and though "Didn't I just read this".

http://www.snipercountry.com/hottips/ScopeUnertl.htm

Out of everything I found on the subject, LL answered most of my questions. Thanks

Your probably not going to see a lot from me for a while since I am new to the long range game. I have mostly questions and it looks like they have all been asked and answered at some point here on the hide. I know how to use search, as bad as it is on this board. haha.

I really like the MST-100. I have owned a few of the years. They are nice scope but it hard to spend $2500 and up on a scope that is outdated to what is now out there. At this time I run a USO ST10s on my M40A1.

P1040832-1-1.jpg

Mike @ CST

Guess I'm a little late on this one, though I thought I would put in my 2 centavos with the caveat that my input speaks to no one individual's input with respect to this thread.

My research, personal conversations with John years ago, hands-on knowledge of the 'service' scopes and ownership of one, leaves no doubt in my mind that the 'T' series Unertl 10X scopes were originally put together with precisely the same Unertl manufactured parts (at least the early SN ones)that the USMC' (and other less known concerns) were, pulled from the same pile and assembled by the same individual/s. Inconsequential factors such as whether John was living at the time, company ownership etc. are all irrelevant in my opinion. The only difference was in the manner in which they were scribed, attributable to the demands and vanity of those service branch/agencies which purchased them, be it the USMC, FBI (HRT), etc. 'U.S. Gov' would have sufficed if ownership and theft were the overriding concern.

To say that a Unertl 10X that went out to the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team (HRT)and which were marked 'FBI Sniper' or whatever (I can't remember) or those marked '10X Sniper' or 'Unertl 10X' have any disparity in value other than the historical, is misguided. Sure, a 'USMC' marked scope has historical significance and increased value as does one that may say 'FBI' and there's no doubt that a 'cool-guy' and exclusivity factor may exist for those that may have them in their possession (I don't want to know), but they are ALL Unertl scopes, true and blue, and any owned 10X is of significance due to their limited production, availability and association with those entities who used them.
As for the production value, yeah, $700 would be an inflated value (but value has to do with 'wants', availability and historical significance, not construction costs)and I have NO DOUBT that those agencies and units that used them did so largely because of the guaranteed exclusivity offered by Unertl, and to set them aside from those less 'hooked'. Let's face it, the scope weighs a ton, has no 'O' rings, was sealed with bee's wax on the threads for God's sake, and fogged up due to the unsealed interior and accompanying introduction of humidity into the interior of the scope. The Leupold MK4 (Ultra), which was available to those at the time, would knock it's socks off shoulder to shoulder (easy now, just my opinion as I own both), and the Schmidts and Hensoldts are all together on another planet at this point. The marked scope requirement placed by certain entities is of the same sort of service vanity and arrogance that has the Springfield Armory 1911 custom Operator (current contract gun for several agencies), under specification and delivered under contract, with bbl bushing and trigger 'in the white', the remainder of the gun 'black-t'd'! Looks cool -vanity.

As for the USO, it's involvement in government production was due to the failure of the Unertl company in keeping up with USMC maintenance and production needs, essentially a clone of the original Unertl scopes. Some improvements were attempted but it is still intended as a copy of the original Unertl, both easily outclassed by other available optics at the time. The USO has monetary and historical value due to it's service history as a Unertl replacement with the USMC, along with it's limited production and availability, just like the Unertl scopes. The historical component value of either scope can never be refuted and will always be reflected in the market.
As for the Unertls......well, they're Unertls and you can never take the ownership significance of any one of the 'original parts' scopes away from anyone or shed negative light on either simply because of the one YOU happen to own. If one does, one had better lump in the USO 'non-original' clones as well and come to grips with the fact that that's what they were - clones. Let's be fair and unbiased here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marauder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess I'm a little late on this one, though I thought I would put in my 2 centavos with the caveat that my input speaks to no one individual's input with respect to this thread.

My research, personal conversations with John years ago, hands-on knowledge of the 'service' scopes and ownership of one, leaves no doubt in my mind that the 'T' series Unertl 10X scopes were originally put together with precisely the same Unertl manufactured parts (at least the early SN ones)that the USMC' (and other less known concerns) were, pulled from the same pile and assembled by the same individual/s. Inconsequential factors such as whether John was living at the time, company ownership etc. are all irrelevant in my opinion. The only difference was in the manner in which they were scribed, attributable to the demands and vanity of those service branch/agencies which purchased them, be it the USMC, FBI (HRT), etc. 'U.S. Gov' would have sufficed if ownership and theft were the overriding concern.

To say that a Unertl 10X that went out to the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team (HRT)and which were marked 'FBI Sniper' or whatever (I can't remember) or those marked '10X Sniper' or 'Unertl 10X' have any disparity in value other than the historical, is misguided. Sure, a 'USMC' marked scope has historical significance and increased value as does one that may say 'FBI' and there's no doubt that a 'cool-guy' and exclusivity factor may exist for those that may have them in their possession (I don't want to know), but they are ALL Unertl scopes, true and blue, and any owned 10X is of significance due to their limited production, availability and association with those entities who used them.
As for the production value, yeah, $700 would be an inflated value (but value has to do with 'wants', availability and historical significance, not construction costs)and I have NO DOUBT that those agencies and units that used them did so largely because of the guaranteed exclusivity offered by Unertl, and to set them aside from those less 'hooked'. Let's face it, the scope weighs a ton, has no 'O' rings, was sealed with bee's wax on the threads for God's sake, and fogged up due to the unsealed interior and accompanying introduction of humidity into the interior of the scope. The Leupold MK4 (Ultra), which was available to those at the time, would knock it's socks off shoulder to shoulder (easy now, just my opinion as I own both), and the Schmidts and Hensoldts are all together on another planet at this point. The marked scope requirement placed by certain entities is of the same sort of service vanity and arrogance that has the Springfield Armory 1911 custom Operator (current contract gun for several agencies), under specification and delivered under contract, with bbl bushing and trigger 'in the white', the remainder of the gun 'black-t'd'! Looks cool -vanity.

As for the USO, it's involvement in government production was due to the failure of the Unertl company in keeping up with USMC maintenance and production needs, essentially a clone of the original Unertl scopes. Some improvements were attempted but it is still intended as a copy of the original Unertl, both easily outclassed by other available optics at the time. The USO has monetary and historical value due to it's service history as a Unertl replacement with the USMC, along with it's limited production and availability, just like the Unertl scopes. The historical component value of either scope can never be refuted and will always be reflected in the market.
As for the Unertls......well, they're Unertls and you can never take the ownership significance of any one of the 'original parts' scopes away from anyone or shed negative light on either simply because of the one YOU happen to own. If one does, one had better lump in the USO 'non-original' clones as well and come to grips with the fact that that's what they were - clones. Let's be fair and unbiased here.

</div></div>
Ye of little posts: I will say thank you cause every thread needs criticism and both opinions. As to the quality of Unertl 10x scopes, I have one and can attest that no matter the bashing it is a performer and it is 20 plus years old.

We're continuing to take deposits on a new run of MST-100's! A forum member, Lazy21, has the skinny on this program. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Sounds perfectly plausible to me we had a guy from drmo in the Air Force try and sell a couple f-16 engines to some tractor pullers...it is not an isolated incident...that a scope could make it out of drmo without the right processing during the 80's when the majority of the devices were using wang computers with no passwords is not hard for me to believe at all