• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes unertl spring

Texgal_338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2005
north of Las Vegas
i have an old unertl mounted on a 30-06; how much tension should the spring have? finally got the rifle back with the scope mounted, so haven't shot it yet.

Re: unertl spring

Sorry can't help, but if you run across an extra spring I have been looking for one for some time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texgal338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have an old unertl mounted on a 30-06; how much tension should the spring have? finally got the rifle back with the scope mounted, so haven't shot it yet. </div></div>
I have an old Unertl catalog with info regarding the recoil spring setup. IIRC it says that you need to compress the spring until it is about 2/3 of its uncompressed length and set the lock screw. Just be sure to have the eye relief set where you want it first before setting up the spring.

Gunman7, I too was in need of a spring at one time. I went to my local transmission shop, taking a sample spring as an example and guess what???? I came up with one that works perfect. Jim

Don't use the spring on a HP rifle unless you want to get up close and personal with the scope during recoil (remember they don't have that much eye relief). Just reach up and pull it back after your shot. After awhile it'll be second nature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can find these springs on ebay all day long.

You only need to compress it enough to fully return the scope to it's rearward position after firing the rifle. Some mounts are tighter than others and require more spring pressure to properly return the scope to the correct position.

Food for thought.... More spring pressure will transfer more of the recoil to the scope. </div></div>

I do have a question about this.. Everytime after you shoot it does the scope need to be rezeroed?

Not using the old target scope's recoil spring on a HP rifle is something that you'll learn the first couple of times you shoot in prone etc. The eye relief on the Unertl's, Target Spot's etc is under 3" and it will smack you if it comes back with the rifle during recoil via the spring. Without the recoil spring during recoil the scope theoreticaly stays in place while the rifle goes back hence keeping out of your eye.

I have no use for my spring, I sort of enjoy reaching up and pulling the scope back after each shot.

I will be more than happy to ship it to any of you who needs one for 1.25 inch unertl.

If a couple of you ask for it I will simply make my decision based on your past posts.

Chef