• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unexpected markings on rem 700 5R

sotexhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
South Texas
I just picked up a Rem 700 SS 5R. Remington says that, according to the serial number, it was produced this year.

In the notch in the action for the bolt handle, it has the serial number in very small characters. It also has a figure of something that looks like braille in a square box except that there are a whole bunch more small dots or prick marks in the box. The characters in the serial number and the marks in the box and the outline of the box are all in the form of pricks.

Is this normal now for rem 700 rifles?

Re: Unexplained markings on rem 700 5R

It's the last 4 digits of the serial number of the action, mating the bolt with the action since they are not interchangeable.

It is in braille so that blind shooters can put the correct bolt back in the rifle after taking them apart.

Or maybe they are crop circles?

does it look "digital" because some Gov Issue weapons have the digital serial number is what it is

...Blind...shooters?

Edit: Wow, I learned something new today. USPCA shooters can be legally blind and still good. Sweet.

It sort of looks digital. I'm not talking about the last four digits of the serial number on the bolt. The markings I'm describing are on the action itself. They are covered by the bolt handle when the bolt is in battery. When the bolt handle is raised, they are visible. I needed to use a magnifying glass to read the characters.

The serial number characters are made by a series of dots. In the shape of an "S", a "6", etc.

The serial number, S67xxxxx, is in the normal place on the left side of the receiver in front of the "Model 700". In the bolt handle recess, the characters are in the following orientation:

S6xxx
xxx

:.::.:
.:.:..
::.:.:

with the orientation rotated ninety degrees counterclockwise from what I have above. The numbers are to the rear of the notch (toward the butt) and the box is towards the front of the notch (towards the muzzle).

The box has a bunch more dots or pricks in it than I have depicted, it looks like a grid of 12 x 12 dots or 144 places for a dot. With each coordinate in the box having a binary value of "0" or "1", they could get some information in there like model designation, production date, shift, and/or something else.

I was just curious. Inquiring minds want to know and all that.
smile.gif

The dots are probably a 2D barcode for inventory/QC traceability in their manufacturing process. We have something simliar on some of our electric motor housings, it works better and is more permanent than a barcode label on a cast metal housing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlabamaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The dots are probably a 2D barcode for inventory/QC traceability in their manufacturing process. We have something simliar on some of our electric motor housings, it works better and is more permanent than a barcode label on a cast metal housing. </div></div>

That makes sense. I wonder when Remington started doing it. With six binary digits per "character" (64 possible combinations), they could get 2x12=24 characters in there. Or more with some other approaches.

Those are called datamatrix. We used those in pharmaceuticals.
They can contain quite a bit of information. Date made, expiration date, lot number...
We used lasers to burn them into cardboard. Would need a high powered laser to etch them that deep in to steel.

I noticed my new 700 in 22-250 had one.
Lots of products nowadays have them.

My XCR tactical has it behind the front action screw hole on the underside of the feedramp. But my 223 that came from the LE shop has it in the bolt handle notch. I also picked up a SPS from academy that I am sure was built after my XCR LR and it does not have this marking.

They have a 5R at local shop here. The reciever has it also and the serial number starts with an "S" also. My 5R has no such markings but the serial number does start with an "S". Very interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wco24u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have a 5R at local shop here. The reciever has it also and the serial number starts with an "S" also. My 5R has no such markings but the serial number does start with an "S". Very interesting. </div></div>

If you've had yours for a year or so it would suggest that Remington just started it recently.

I called Remington Consumer Service at 800-243-9700 with my full serial number to get the production year, which was 2010, as expected, since I just got it.

I have had my XCR LR for about a year now and it has it. Maybe you got an old stock 5R

My XCR has it also 1 year old....I think its something newer Remington does for tracking prod runs.

I have an older SPS Tactical and the number are actually etched in there, no coding.

Ok guys, I finally was able to have time to get on the hide since I looked botthe marks on my 700, and I do not see them. I know the rifle is a couple years old, buy it's new to me. Either way they are not there so I have no further input for now. Good luck finding out what's going on with it all.

Sean

I guess it is something that Remington has started doing recently, maybe just on certain production lines. Or maybe at different times on different production lines.

Not a big deal, I think. Just a curiosity.

Just FYI. The Box with the dots is probly a 2D barcode.

There is probly a bigger version on the box it came in.

I just decoded the matrix on my Rem 700 and came up with the number 666 is this bad?