• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Unissued Garand Eye Candy

Orlando

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2011
Ohio
Picked up this Unissued 5.8 mil SA Garand not long ago. Just as the day she left Springfield, dry as a bone. It will never be fired as long as I am her caretaker as I have plenty of other garands and other rifles to shoot
414314234.jpg

414314237.jpg

414314239.jpg

414314230.jpg

414314245.jpg

Last edited:
That’s very nice. I just picked up a 6,09xxxx million serial number almost all correct springfield.
C17D4970-BAE2-4DE4-B064-EAEC8C2124CA.jpeg

First time I've ever seen an unissued/unfired M1 Garand.
That's a real jewel of a find.
Are you going to at least oil and grease it and oil the stock to preserve it ?
I'd be worried about cracking of the stock if you leave it dry .

I've never had something like that, what would a museum curator do to insure preservation ?
Leave it as is or strip it down and clean and lube it ?

Reactions: Foul Mike
I am not going to touch it, its stored in a humidity controlled environment . Metal hasn't rusted and stock hasn't cracked in 65 years , as long as stored properly it will be fine

Last edited:
Youres is a 1955 isn't it ? I had A SA from 1955. but let it go in a trade. It wasn't even close to yours, mine was a mixmaster of parts, shot our barrel etc.
The partial trade was my introduction to M1As.

If you guys have any way to source the vapor paper that bearings are shipped in it really helps preserve things in the safe. Many parts, Cat Cummins, bearings, etc are shipped in the stuff. I put it on the floor and shelves, also in ammo cans. Maybe it will help. Really nice rifle.

They have been stored like this for years , it will be fine in a humidity controlled safe
414309114.jpg

I'd still be wary of that unless your safe is inside a temperature controlled environment too. I'm surprised that thing wasn't packed in six inches of cosmoline and wax paper...

Oiling it down ain't gonna hurt it, it'll only help, and it'll look a lot nicer too.

Oughta put it in a fortified sealed case and hang it on the wall.

Nice find for sure. Where'd you get it?

CMP auctions them occasionally. very cool piece.

I would at the very least pull it down and oil and grease where needed were it mine, however,

Someone above mentioned what would a museum curator do with that.?

I think I would seek out the very best curator around and let them do what needs done, and I mean the best that is known to do the right things. I do not know who that is.

They have the knowledge and the right chemicals and sprays to preserve anything and keep it as is.

They would probably be pissed at what I had done to it.

It damn sure is nice but I do think it needs some help to keep it that way. Just my thoughts. FM