• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 Garand brought home from Iwo Jima, March 1945

cplnorton

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
Van Wert, Ohio
I was sort of bored today so I thought while not a sniper rifle, I would share one of my favorite Vintage rifles.

This M1 Garand was picked up in March 1945 on the island of Iwo Jima by Major "Todd" Moore. Major Moore was a P51 Mustang Ace and was the 45th Fighter Squadron CO who was stationed on Iwo.

Major Moore became the leading Ace of the Seventh Air Force with 12 confirmed kills, 1 probable and 3 damaged. Maj Moore served overseas for 37 months and flew over 150 combat missions. His awards include the Silver Star, the Distinguished Flying Cross with four Oak Leaf Clusters, and the Air Medal with nine Oak Leaf Clusters. At the end of WWII he was only 23 years old.

I have written statements, photographs, and even videos of Major Moore talking about picking up this rifle off Iwo Jima. This rifle also has been featured in books, the Garand Collector's journal several times, and even the Marine Corps Museum was heavily involved in the research of it.

Major Moore stated that he picked up this rifle right after a skirmish between the US Marines and the Japanese in an area off of his 2nd airfield among Marine Casualties.

The serial is 2020049 with a 10/43 barrel. The rifle is pretty beat up. The barrel is heavily pitted and very worn. The handguard looks like it got so hot it about caught on fire. I can only imagine some young Marine putting rounds down range as fast as he could.

When I first published this rifle, I did not know it at the time, but the sling on the rifle is a Marine Corps Depot made sling. This is evidenced by the distinct 4 hole pattern at the bottom, which the Major does state in the video that the sling was on the rifle on Iwo Jima. The serial also falls in a range with other documented Marine Garands from the National Archives.

I have only took it apart once for photographs. Which was only the removal of the stock and trigger guard. The inside still has what looks like the black volcanic sand in the protected areas.

Years after I had it, a friend joked with me that I have never really looked in the buttstock of it. Which I realized I never really did, so when I opened it, I found a small wadded up paper that was a Dope tag for the rifle. At the bottom of the tag it says "Keep your rifle sighted in for shooting Japs." As far as we know it's the only WWII dope tag like this ever found.

This rifle has been one of my favorites and I would give anything to know the name of the Marine who carried it and what his fate was. I can only hope he made it off the island and lived a long life. This is one that I truly wish could "talk."

Major Moore with the rifle in 1999.

em8fVooh.jpg

4rflcBlh.jpg

Major Moore in 1945 on Iwo Jima

lu3pOiSh.jpg

MhxE0NXh.jpg

vJHWvTch.jpg

9hkRCNLh.jpg

eQAJfWHh.jpg

8q7LGE7h.jpg

p9l7lFDh.jpg

4zmlYJNh.jpg

PioiEYlh.jpg

GOIOhhxh.jpg

9RAV0tmh.jpg

dFJeVtVh.jpg

WXY9Ds9h.jpg

vacukFFh.jpg

The Dope tag found wadded up in the buttstock. It states at the bottom "Keep your rifle sighted in for shooting Japs."

web85yMh.jpg

Last edited:
Not to derail the thread but every vintage USGI Surplus rifle has a similar story. Except they are reworked parts guns with import marks and no documentation. 😂

Not in any way to criticize your great rifle which is obviously documented and correct. Thank you for sharing the photos.

I see he was from somewhere else and died on the island. So I wouldn't think this would be his.
Not sure where I got he was from there. Seems none of them are listed as from Idaho, maybe lived there after the war?

I remember first reading that GCA issue and made sure to save that one! Thanks for all the effort you put in to document this outstanding piece to ensure it's history didn't get lost with time

Reactions: cplnorton
Not to derail the thread but every vintage USGI Surplus rifle has a similar story. Except they are reworked parts guns with import marks and no documentation. 😂

"Buy the gun, not the story."

Without unlikely circumstances, it's got issues. :(