• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Universal bolt handle threading jig

mscott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Ohio
With a little experimenting it seems my new jig can be used for threading Rem 700, Win. Model 70, and Savage MKII rimfire bolt handles. The only problem I've found is that my lathe is only big enough to spin short action bolts.

Rem. 700
700jigandsaleitems005.jpg

win70jig006.jpg

rem700bolt002.jpg

Savage MKII
MKIIboltknobs001.jpg

MKIIboltknobs006.jpg

Win model 70
I had to add a removeable 3/16" shim
win70jig001.jpg

win70jig004.jpg

Re: Universal bolt handle threading jig

Looks good Mike. That transition is seamless on the rimfire and M70.

not bloody wrong, they came out great.

I don't s'pose you could give your secrets away and take a few more pic's of the jig
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S1erra1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not bloody wrong, they came out great.

I don't s'pose you could give your secrets away and take a few more pic's of the jig
wink.gif
</div></div>
I'll tell you whatever you want to know. I'm not in business, just doing this for fun and sharing the ideas. I'll see what I can come up with for dimensions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S1erra1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not bloody wrong, they came out great.

wink.gif
</div></div>
I'll tell you whatever you want to know. I'm not in business, just doing this for fun and sharing the ideas. I'll see what I can come up with for dimensions. </div></div>

Great job. Glad to see guys willing to share their ideas with those who chose to do their own work.

MausersBoltHandleFixtureDSCF0033.jpg

1903TurkBoltsaftercleaningmidhandleweld.jpg
MauserBoltWeldDSCF0010.jpg
MasuerVZ247mmBrazilTIGweldedbolthadle-1.jpg

I use the same V block and clamp type fixture in the lathe and in the mill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S1erra1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not bloody wrong, they came out great.

wink.gif
</div></div>
I'll tell you whatever you want to know. I'm not in business, just doing this for fun and sharing the ideas. I'll see what I can come up with for dimensions. </div></div>

Thanks mate that would be much appreciated.

Clark that first pic of yours looks more my style
grin.gif

mscott

That is a nice set up!
How do you go about getting the bolt
handle lined up to turn down the knob
and then thread?

Thanks!

Jim C

This one took me about 8 hours to make haha. It turned out 90% exactly how I wanted it, I dont know if I can justify another 8 hours for 100% yet.

The two issues I overlooked. First big one is I used the one piece of 2" bar I had left and that was as long as it was, wish it had another 2" of length (thats what she said). Second, the bigger one, I shouldve offset the bolt to the one side since the bolt handle is not on center with the centerline of the bolt body. This way I almost could have spun it in a 3jaw without having to do any indicating.

I also went a little overboard with the lug cutouts, think I may have did a little miscalculation when figuring how far to go out so they would clear. Luckily rigidity was not an issue, the live center helps with that for sure.

Aside from that it works very well, threaded two with it already last night with no issues.

IMG_20120206_002247.jpg

IMG_20120206_002426.jpg

That looks great, John! Very nice work. I wonder how it will work out on some of the older handles as I found them to not be consistent at all. I generally dial in each one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: imforguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mscott

That is a nice set up!
How do you go about getting the bolt
handle lined up to turn down the knob
and then thread?

Thanks!

Jim C </div></div>

Once I get the handle straight in the jig I just figure out where I'm going to stop and indicate it in. For the Win. 70 handle and Savages I turn the knob down to a 1/2" shank and leave a shoulder. Then I turn it to 3/8" and thread 3/8-24. Rem 700 handles are threaded 5/16-24. The knobs for the Remingtons I make seperately, but everything else gets a blank screwed onto the handle and turned as one piece. Here's my Savage jig that shows some of the steps. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...568#Post3009568

S1erra1, I tried to take some pics with a scale laying on the jig so you could see dimentions, but they all turned out fuzzy. I'll try again with less coffee in my system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S1erra1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not bloody wrong, they came out great.

wink.gif
</div></div>

Here you go. Let me know if you need more info. The round stock is 1 3/8" and the threaded holes are 1/4-20.

universaljig007.jpg

universaljig008.jpg

universaljig006.jpg

universaljig005.jpg

universaljig004.jpg