• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Update: 1st Rem700 .308 Build Finished - For now

Re: Noob Needs Advice - Remington 700 .308 Build

On the bipod, I found the 9-13 to be too high on the bench. I found a Blackhawk Sportster 6-9 inch at Cabellas yesterday for $50. Seems ok to me. I have the 9-13 Harris too, which cost twice at much but the legs are notched. Both pivot, which is a good option. The Blackhawk came with a locking lever, the Harris did not but you can buy one. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treymchattie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no, you dont need any special rings for a 20moa base. its exactly like a 0 moa base except that the rings will sit at a tiny incline. you cant go wrong with any of those brands of rings.

i work in fort worth by the way </div></div>

Alright, that clears up at least one thing. Where do you work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigchaza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got a remington 700 5-r
i got it over the sps varmit cause it has a better standard stock than the varmit and i got it over the police model cause it is lighter, i hunt and target shoot with the rifle and am pleased thusfar.</div></div>

I personally went with the Varmint because I knew I wanted to upgrade my stock eventually to an A3 or A5 type, so I didn't want to pay $200 more for the Police model when the only difference is the stock which I would replace eventually. This let me put aside some money for the scope. Similarly with the 5R, the only difference between the 700P and the 5R is the barrel. I can eventually get a different barrel with a faster twist rate, but essentially I was choosing the different barrel and stock over a scope at all (since my budget is around $1000, and the cheapest I've seen the 5R at is $1050).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigchaza</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i also noticed you were spending alot less money on the scope than the rifle. My theory is we have been making guns for about a 1000 years now so whatever you get is going to be pretty good especially if its a bolt action. we have been making gun optics for a far shorter period of time so ive found its a good idea to spend at least half the rifles cost on a scope i personally spent about the same and dont regret it but i have regreted skimping on scope in the past it cheaper to do it once and do it right.</div></div>

That's a good point, I suppose, but I'm spending around $620 after FFL transfer fees and taxes on the rifle, and the scopes I'm looking at are $309 and $385, so it matches your rule of thumb. My whole goal with this project is to get the best gun for the best value: the Falcon Menace and Millet TRS are scopes I won't replace until I'm seriously nearing 1k+ yards, especially with a 20MOA base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alexdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the bipod, I found the 9-13 to be too high on the bench. I found a Blackhawk Sportster 6-9 inch at Cabellas yesterday for $50. Seems ok to me. I have the 9-13 Harris too, which cost twice at much but the legs are notched. Both pivot, which is a good option. The Blackhawk came with a locking lever, the Harris did not but you can buy one. Good luck.</div></div>

I'll probably wander into my local store and ask their advice for what brand and such will be best for my intentions. I was looking at Harris, and they look nice, so I'll probably end up there.

If you go with Harris, don't buy their $29 locking lever, go to T-Nuts and look at the BPL-Z lever for I think $8. Harris takes the 10-32 threads. Works great.

That looks almost exactly like what I'm looking for, with the exception of the scopes and I'm not getting the stock yet. I wish I had known about that package before I ordered my rifle separately! Although, the base price is a little higher than my budget, so buying piecemeal not only lets me string out the purchases but also lets me learn how to mount everything myself, which is great experience whether I mess it up or do well.

Alright, so a deal is in the works for the Falcon Menace, which means I need to figure out how to mount the sucker.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Using the equation for ring height determination from elsewhere on the forum: [rail height + ring height] - [bell diameter x 0.5]
Using the Weaver Tactical 20MOA base's lowest rail height of 0.3", the scopes outer objective diameter of 52mm, with 25.4mm to the inch, and using x as the ring height and .25" as the ballpark for clearance:
[0.3" + x] - [52 mm *1"/25.4mm*0.5] &#8776; 0.25"
I get x (or ring height)= 0.9736", which is in the area of high rings. With the Leupold Dual Dovetail 30mm Highs (0.9" ring height), I get 0.176" (4.48mm) of clearance. Will that be enough, or maybe even not enough?
I could use the medium rings (0.77") which would give me .046", or 1.178mm, of clearance.</span>

I just realized I didn't know the basics of base and rings types, so obviously a picatinny rail won't work with the dual dovetail rings. I'm going to get the Leupold Standard base and rings (mainly because the Dual Dovetail bases they offer don't have any cant), but I can't really find the height of the Leupold Standard Long Range 15-MOA Base, so I'm on the phone with a Leupold rep. to find out what ring size I need.

Just got off the phone, he recommended their medium rings, which are 0.77". If the base is 0.3", I'll get 1.148mm of clearance, and estimating 1mm for Butler Creek caps, I think I should be set.

A bipod is only a resting point for the gun. To be honest a normal person wouldn't be able to tell a difference from my $25 NcStar and my $100 Harris. Both are great. Give the Ncstar a shot for the price so you can afford your optics now and upgrade to a harris later.

I went with the Rem. 700 AAC-SD. Personally I didnt want to have a 26" barrel, and I believe there is no noticeable change in accuracy for the distances I shoot. The 20" barrel is great when thinking on a suppressor in the future thats why I ended up putting a AAC Breakout at the end of it (that added some length to it). The 1:10 rifling is also a nice bonus IMO. Paid about 660 for it. I took its factory stock off first thing, it is one of the worst I have seen...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lakeshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bipod is only a resting point for the gun. To be honest a normal person wouldn't be able to tell a difference from my $25 NcStar and my $100 Harris. Both are great. Give the Ncstar a shot for the price so you can afford your optics now and upgrade to a harris later.</div></div>

I am as accurate with my harris as my buddy is with his Atlas V8. I saved $200+, and spent that on glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oham1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lakeshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bipod is only a resting point for the gun. To be honest a normal person wouldn't be able to tell a difference from my $25 NcStar and my $100 Harris. Both are great. Give the Ncstar a shot for the price so you can afford your optics now and upgrade to a harris later.</div></div>

I am as accurate with my harris as my buddy is with his Atlas V8. I saved $200+, and spent that on glass.</div></div>

That being said, dont go out there and spend a lot of $$ on a tripod. Put that $$ towards your glass, trigger, bedding on your new stock, or good rail and rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oham1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That being said, dont go out there and spend a lot of $$ on a tripod. Put that $$ towards your glass, trigger, bedding on your new stock, or good rail and rings.</div></div>

When I get a bipod, it'll be a Harris.. It seems like it's high quality for the price.

Leupold rings and base are on the way, Falcon Menace 4-14x44 mil/mil FFP in the works, factory stock on the .308 Rem700 SPS Varmint... all for $1002. Once I get more cash, I can spend $85-90 on the Harris and ~$425 for my B&C Tactical Adjustable A5 Style (pre-bedded) stock and call it a day for a while with a completed rifle at just about $1500.

right choice on the varmit they are sweet as rifles. i just had a good deal on the r 700 5-r milspec 100th anivesary edition counldnt resist

Re: Update: 1st Rem700 .308 Build Finished - For n

Update: Pretty much everything for my rifle is here, and my ammo is on the way.

My build:

Rem 700 .308 SPS Varmint (26" barrel with 1/12" twist)
Factory Remington Synthetic Stock
Leupold STD Long-Range Base & 30mm Medium Rings
Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP mil/mil
Harris S-BRM 6"-9" Bipod

Ammo: Southwest Ammunition .308 Standard Match 175SMK (Winchester Brass)
I intend to reload in the future, once I'm a little further into the sport and have more cash to get my setup.

Next on the agenda for the build (when I get the cash):
Custom McMillan A5 (including pillar bedding, inletting for the DBM, paint job, adjustable cheek riser, etc.)
Badger M5 DBM
Timney 40x Trigger (which might replace the X-Mark Pro relatively soon. If the X-Mark begins to creep on me, it's gone!)

I might start a new thread to post pictures, range reports, and the eventual load workups and upgrades.

Re: Update: 1st Rem700 .308 Build Finished - For n

What do you guys think of my finished (for the moment) build and my plans to upgrade it more later?