• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Update older .308 or start new.

huntswithweim

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2011
I have my Dad's Remington 700 .308. He has been gone for coming up on ten years now and it has only had a couple of box's of ammo though it since then. It was mainly used for deer and other like game. I use a Browning BLR .243 for deer hunting so the 700 spends a lot of time in the gun cabinet at home. I have got idea in my head I would like to get back in a .308 for longer ranges. Mostly for range and coyote gun, ranges would most likely be 100 - 350 yards. The 700 is from 1971 and currently has a weaver 2x7 most likely form the same time frame. It is in good shape for being 40 years old, and still groups nicely at 100 yards with the the Weaver on it. I wouldn't even have guess on the round count through the gun. The action is still tight, and trigger is still smooth and crisp.

The main question is do you guys think I would be better off just leaving it alone and just start a build with new equipment. Or just replace the scope and mounts and see where it gets me.

I plan this to be a winter project, give me something to mess with when its cold as hell. If I end up going with new I plan o going with a Remington or Savage action and barrel.

Sorry for the typical FNG question, but looking forward to the responses

Re: Update older .308 or start new.

It depends on the sentimental value of the rifle.

If you like taking that fine rifle out and admiring it plus a few rounds down range, leave as is.
A 2-7 scope is an excellent all around hunitng choice and you won't find the same level of bluing and attention on a new rifle.

If, on the other hand, there is really no sentimental value, then it would be an excellent base for a build. It has a very good factory trigger and can be made into a vey fine shooter.

The real question is, three or four years from now, will you regret changing it?

It would be nice to pass it down. I still have my Grandpa's Winchester model 100. So it would be cool to have both in the condition they left them in. I was just think of using the 700 because I already had it. I am kinda of a unintentional gun collector.

The budget just got alittle tighter for this project,

speaking as someone who also lost his Dad almost 10 years ago, "what would Dad say?" I like to think mine would have approved trading one of his for an M1 Garand, which i did. Dad knew my love for those rifles and I'm sure he would have approved. I did keep the Marlin 30-30 that he used most of the Deer camps we had since I was 14 years old. that Rem 30-06 I traded off to a good friend was something he got a few years before he died but that Marlin is what I remember him with the most. Maybe not much of an answer but something to think about.

If you decide to get a new .308 I have a nice one I'd sell. R700, Krieger Barrel, etc.

I say keep your dads in the safe!!!

I have a few of my Grandad's rifles in the safe. He's no longer with us, but we still have a connection through the love of hunting and shooting.

My 10yr old was absolutely beside himself to get to shoot his deer this year with his great-grandad's old winchester .243 with a weaver on top. That rifle has fed a lot of people over time, and you can still make washers out of quarters at 100yds.

Money comes and goes, new things that go boom do as well, some things are priceless and should be enjoyed as they are...

HotSunTX

what I would do it get it blueprinted, and do a one thread set back on the chamber(then have a smith re-chamber it), and bed it, then shoot it(you can do all of this for quite cheap). It will look the same but shoot like a house on fire. I just did this to my 308 and LOVE the outcome was very handy hunting rifle(for yoter dogs) and it is a hammer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcwarrior87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what I would do it get it blueprinted, and do a one thread set back on the chamber(then have a smith re-chamber it), and bed it, then shoot it(you can do all of this for quite cheap). It will look the same but shoot like a house on fire. I just did this to my 308 and LOVE the outcome was very handy hunting rifle(for yoter dogs) and it is a hammer. </div></div>

Great input. This is an awesome idea for something that someone wanted to keep pretty much "as is".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kneecapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remy 700 with a Kreiger? I'm game PM me a number$$$. </div></div>

I had a friend that sent his rifle to PacNor. Rebarrel, true the action and lap the lugs for about $550. Came back a solid one holer.