• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Update on Applied Ballistics Kestrel model and Horus Kestrel

Christopher Rance

CR2 Shooting Solutions
Minuteman
The Applied Ballistics release date has been pushed back. It’s now looking like we will start full production in the middle of May. The reason for this is that we are working on a TON of small improvements to the Horus which will also be applied to the AB units. I know it’s frustrating for everyone that they won’t be getting their units in April, but they will absolutely be getting a better product because of it, so hopefully that will be worth the wait!

Can you explain how the standard Horus and the Applied Ballistics models differ?

I'm assuming both reference an Horus reticle, but what are the software differences between standard Horus and the accuracy 1st/applied ballistics models?

Do some research bro. You are far off in left field with your assumptions...

I dont appear to be, I did some research and I see the AB model is pretty amazing, being able to take into account multiple sensors.

However, they do both seem to use the same ballistics models (as per improvements for the AB can also apply to the Horus).

I'm be interested as per above if existing Horus model owners can upgrade without a fee?

I dont appear to be, I did some research and I see the AB model is pretty amazing, being able to take into account multiple sensors.

However, they do both seem to use the same ballistics models (as per improvements for the AB can also apply to the Horus).

I'm be interested as per above if existing Horus model owners can upgrade without a fee?

May I suggest a book that's a must read for all hide members. It will answer all your questions... "Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting" by Brian Litz.

May I suggest a book that's a must read for all hide members. It will answer all your questions... "Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting" by Brian Litz.

Are you reading something I didn't write?

I asked why specifically, the Kestrel Horus edition and Kestrel Applied ballistics versions differ?

The correct answer would be "The AB version can/does incorporate multiple sensors into its calculations and uses Litz's calclations. The Horus version uses it's own proprietary ballistics calculator".

Which is why I had my question, as Horus vision says they have proprietary ballistics tables, which we can now assume are heavily based on Litz's as the same improvements apply to each Kestrel.

Your response to both of my questions is somewhat confusing or you're reading the wrong thing.

Last edited:
Is there a good synopsis of the new model and its features?

sniper24INF: I just pre-ordered a BT model, are these still going to start shipping on June 10th like it says on the website or ?

Should we be expecting our pre-orders next week? I see the website says they ship June 30th.

Last edited:
Hey guess what? Yep. Pushed back AGAIN!!!! I wish companies would just be honest and quit bullshitting us with this 2 more weeks crap. Better yet.... Don't fu$king advertise it til its ready!!!! All you do is piss us off.

Edit: I just got out of my time machine and went ahead in the future 2 weeks. Guess what??? It's going to be pushed back again! Lol

Hey guess what? Yep. Pushed back AGAIN!!!! I wish companies would just be honest and quit bullshitting us with this 2 more weeks crap. Better yet.... Don't fu$king advertise it til its ready!!!! All you do is piss us off.

Edit: I just got out of my time machine and went ahead in the future 2 weeks. Guess what??? It's going to be pushed back again! Lol

Instead of bitching about it, why don't you get back in that time machine and go to the period of time when they are ready and bring them back for everyone? If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. ;)

I haven't quite worked out all the bugs. I can only go ahead 6 months and guess what.... They are still not available! lol

Doesn't something like this fall under luxury and not necessity ? Which means owning it or not, delayed or on time won't change our life either way.

I pre-ordered the first week, when it gets here it gets here. I still shoot every week without it. Doesn't stop me a single round.

Its like waiting on a suppressor to clear, it cleats when it clears. Waiting is all part of it.

Better to wait and it be right then get it early and suffer the glitches.

Look at the bright side, at least you are not an MRAD owner and waiting for the .308 barrel conversion that was promised over a year ago. Just place the order and it will show up ...eventually. Heck, I am still waiting for a surefire brake that I ordered in the first week of Jan.

Yea I can't argue with you there. I feel bad for the MRADers out there that invested in a non-existent switch barrel setup. If I was an MRADer, I would have switched to DTA a long time ago.

A friend and I just got back from a 5 day prairie dog hunt in SD where we used a single Bluetooth Kestrel (4500NV) on a tripod with the Kestrel weather vane mount to propagate the fields of the Shooter program in each of our Droid Razr Maxx phones. The Kestrel would not propagate the fields simultaneously but after one of us got our data we could turn off the phone momentarily while the other received the data. Both the Shooter and AB programs have a field for wind direction and the Kestrel collects that information but does not transmit it to either program. We shot almost exclusively at 1000 yard dogs and the set up worked great for both of us. One of us got a 1089 yard dog.
We were wondering if the new Kestrel with the AB program and BT will transmit and propagate the wind direction field? We have called Kestrel twice and we left our phone number but haven't had a response from engineering. Maybe sniper24INF can help?

My Understanding is Bryan Litz is working on a downrange wind solution that will be part of the system.

It's supposed to interconnect multiple sensor feeding wind data back from along the bullet's path.

All Wirelessly

mikeltee, we both use BR Pivot benches for their stability. My friend has a Mark King smithed no-turn 6.5-284 built with a Nesika action. He uses a Berger 140 VLD or a Sierra 142 VLD. I'm not sure what the MV is out of his Krieger barrel. He has a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 with ZS with the NP-R2 reticle.
My rig is a Jim Borden smithed no-turn 6BR built with a BAT action and a Krieger 1:8 twist barrel. I'm using the Berger 105 VLD hunting bullets that have a MV from my gun of 2965 fps. I have a NF NXS 8-32x56mm with HS and ZS with the MOAR. The ZS was very helpful when shooting at those ranges because there were times when if the turret indicated 5 it was most likely 25. But to be sure you could always click down to zero and get back to where you wanted to be very quickly. The MOAR worked well. I clicked for elevation and could use the reticle to hold for windage. The thickness of the reticle wasn't a problem that I thought it might be at those yardages with that small a target.

Lowlight,
First, as I understand it, you started this forum. It's one of the best. Thanks.
My friend and I talked to Bryan Litz at the SHOT Show a few years ago and are reading his book at present.
We are always interested in what new and innovative things he is doing that will help us kill more prairie dogs at longer ranges.

I'm interested in knowing how they are going to transmit a signal from one of the wind detection modules to the handheld unit 1000yd away. It's a pretty pointless system with only a couple of hundred yards to work with. I really don't see much of a demand for info like this either. I totally understand Brian wanting to extend the capabilities of his formula with multiple wind readings though.

OK so no one having these listed on their websites yet my question is. Where do I get in line for one of these? I must of missed out on the early ordering that apparently took place.

Thanks!

I paid in February and it was $739, not sure if it was cheaper at some point previous to February.

Roger. Either way, I'd give them back that $70 just to use it sometime this season!

I hear ya bro. I should have gone with my instincts and got a cheap model to play with this season. In this industry you got to multiply the projected date by 4. I'm sure it's for the best though, and this winter when they are in our hands, it will all be worth the wait.

I think I got a tracking number today. It was from CT and it was a SURESOURCE delivery.

Last edited:
Kestrel Weather & Environmental Meters, manufactured by Nielsen-Kellerman (NK), is now shipping orders for the Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics! If you purchased a unit through NKhome.com, the Kestrel manufacturer, your credit card will now be charged or you may be contacted by a Kestrel representative for updated payment information. Please feel free to contact NK at any time for information regarding your order and its estimated ship date at 610-447-1555. Orders will be shipped in the order they were received. If you purchased your unit from an authorized Kestrel dealer, please contact the dealer for all shipping information.

I think SURESOURCE was a water bottle i ordered. Unless you guys also use them.

Edit, never mind it was a water bottle! I tried using it to get dope, it does not work.

Last edited:
I did too lowlight. No love came my way. I have been talking shit about the 2 weeks 2 weeks ohh... Just 2 more weeks bullshit, so I probably got bumped to the back of the line. I didn't really expect it til winter anyways so I'm not as upset as you. It's just a toy for me anyways. I can bang steel just fine without it.