• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes **Update**Vortex PST Issue - Debris in Reticle

Re: Vortex PST Issue - Debris in Reticle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What "record of issues"? </div></div>
...numerous reports of the glass in the 4-16 models bring somewhat inferior to the glass in other models.
</div></div>

Which numerous reports are those ? I'm really curious as the only thing I've read is the <span style="color: #FF0000">one</span> thread that did a comparison using the Vortex 4-16 <span style="color: #FF0000">SFP</span> compared to the Razor and Weaver. Not the FFP PST. Thread can be seen here http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2511913
Did I miss a bunch of high end comparisons between all the other models that showed how inferior the glass was in the 4-16 ?
I know from comparing the 4-16 FFP to the 6-24 FFP that I own there is no difference that I can see in clarity or glass quality the only thing my 4-16 is inferior at is getting to the 17-24 zoom range but I knew that when I bought it.

Guess you haven't read the thread. It already was a pissing match.
My point is that too many here are too ready to begin topics that bash manufacturers product even after getting satisfactory CS.
I would have been happier to see the OP do a complete review that objectively pointed out weaknesses and strengths than "I had a problem, the maker is fixing it without hassle but I just want everyone to know I had a problem."

I think this is one if the most fair things I have ever heard someone say about a product. It performed below his expectations and broke, he didn't mention his gripes and lauded thier positive points. I just had to point that out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 6-24X PST and now that I think about it, this happened to mine too. I did the phone book thing, but the spec (a rather large spec) wasn't budging. I didn't worry too much about it and wasn't hot to send it in, since I had just gotten it back from Vortex.

I just shot it as it was. I was (and still am) running it on top of my .22 bench rifle. I ran it until the reticle rattled loose and canted. Then I sent it in and had the spec taken care of. Actually, when I sent it in, I called complaining that it was the second time that I had to send that scope in. They sent me a new scope. I know it was a new scope because they said it was and a ding that I had on mine wasn't there when I got the replacement in.

I'm not going to make any representations about how tough the PST is. In fact, I haven't kept the fact that I don't like it much a secret, but I have to hand it to their customer service. They made good on the warranty. </div></div>

Hey ladies, take your cat fight to PMs, we could care less about your ego issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm. I got my first NF in 2002. After mounting it I noticed a speck in the lens. I took it out to the range any way. After shooting a few rounds the speck went away and has never returned. I have a new PST FFP that has not been mounted yet. I've looked thru it all the way thru the power range and see no specks, the turrets are well marked and the clicks are very positive. I purchased it after using my Vortex Razor spotting scope and seeing its quality. And the fact that the Vortex folks are top notch in CS.
I guess, if I tried, I could nit pick anything I've ever bought. I could really nitpick this thread.
The OP had an issue, called Vortex, got a positive response and that really should have been it. I don't think it was time to then go on line here and post about his issue. Were you trying to cut down the PST or trying to say that they provided good CS or that you hate the scope and Vortex?
For all you guys who have whacked your NF, USO, Ziess, etc on the phone book and want to come on here and talk the PST down ........ well I guess that is just the internet these days. </div></div>

I wasn't trying to cut down anything. Nor, did I ever say I hated the scope and Vortex. I was merely pointing out that I had an issue with my brand new scope. If you read my thread starting post, you will see that I stated that the scope still did it's job even after noticing the loose material that cluttered the reticle. I could go on & on about the things I like about the scope, but this thread was not meant to be another praise Vortex thread. Besides, I didn't have it long enough to really give an in depth praising/contravening review. I started this thread to inform others of my experience thus far with this scope. I was wanting to see if others had experienced this issue with the PST line. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Turns out, this can be a common issue with any brand of scope.</span></span> This information alone is very beneficial.

I'll be sure to get with you next time I decide to post and have you proofread it and make sure it's up to your standards...
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Follow up to this thread:</span></span>

As far as customer service; Vortex called me back today and sent me a return shipping label. I boxed it up and dropped it off today. Their customer service is BY FAR the best I have ever dealt with. I hope to receive my new scope soon. I have been extremely happy with the quality of the scope (minus the obvious debris) thus far and look to get many years of use out of it. Only time will tell.

I take it the phonebook method didn't prove itself this time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I take it the phonebook method didn't prove itself this time?</div></div>

I had the scope in hand... I was focused. The scope was my bat and the phone book was a ball that needed to be sent back way over the left field fence. Right when I was getting ready to swing the scope, the phone rang and it was a nice lady from Vortex telling me to stop what I was doing. Said it would be better to put it in a box and send it back to them then to beat it like a red headed step child.

To be honest, I was reluctant to try it. That, and the fact I don't have a phone book... Maybe next time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had the scope in hand... I was focused. The scope was my bat and the phone book was a ball that needed to be sent back way over the left field fence. Right when I was getting ready to swing the scope, the phone rang and it was a nice lady from Vortex telling me to stop what I was doing. Said it would be better to put it in a box and send it back to them then to beat it like a red headed step child. </div></div>

LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I take it the phonebook method didn't prove itself this time? </div></div> Guess he is going to leave it up to them to get rid of the debris or send him a different scope. If I had talked to them and needed to send it back I wouldn't beat it on a phonebook either.

You never know but I wouldn't be shocked if things didn't turn out so good when you called them up and said "my scope exploded will you replace it?" How did that happen sir? "I was beating it on a phonebook"...

I don't know though, as good as their CS is said to be maybe that would fly but not worth the risk IMO.

On the other hand, if they said sorry sir we cannot take it back and or fix it. This is a common problem with all scopes, just hit it on a phonebook... Then I'd go for the Yellow Pages

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll have my PST in hand in a week I'll report back on whether or not there's any debris in it. I checked my friends and he had none.</div></div>

The debris didn't show up for me until I was sighting it in on a 308. Each consecutive shot after the debris showed up, started to eliminate some of it... but then it would create more. At 4x the specs weren't that bad, at 16x with FFP, the specs were a couple mils big. To be honest, it was distracting more than anything. The scope still did everything it was supposed to do. I feel I received way more than what I paid for. This scope really shines. Good luck with your's and enjoy your purchase! I know I will.

I can see the tech guys at Vortex once they get your scope back for Warranty repair. "Smack" on a phonebook and back in the box it goes. LOL

Just joking!!

Re: Vortex PST Issue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hit it on a phone book.. Had the same problem with a Zeiss and it will knock the debris off and will stick to inside of scope. You gotta hit it too, don't just tap it!</div></div>

Really? And you did it with a Zeiss!? I'm not scared to try it, as it is going back to Vortex anyway. I'm just skeptical... </div></div>

USO recommends the same when it happens, or they actually say to put the rifle in a 4X4 and go romping.

Smack it like you mean it.

Thought I would do a follow up to this thread. Vortex gave me a brand new scope in the box and had it shipped to my door within 2 weeks. Great customer service, and great communication throughout the whole thing. I didn't feel like a number when I dealt with them. I would buy from them again in a heart beat.

Thanks everyone,

Jake

I'm gonna have to call Vortex tomorrow. The sight picture on mine was bloody awful. Just a pinch one way or the other and the shadows took over. I put the scope to a light and looked through the objective and there's actually a crescent shaped piece of debris protruding from one side of the tube. Presumably, it's just a piece of material that didn't get totally smoothed out during assembly.

Good news for me, though. I thought it just had a really bad eyebox and was ready to give up on it. I've never used Vortex CS but after everything I've heard, I'm actually excited to talk to em tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never used Vortex CS but after everything I've heard, I'm actually excited to talk to em tomorrow.</div></div>

I've had my eye on one of these scopes, but the dozens and dozens of posts I see all over the internet by people talking about how great their experience with Vortex CS was makes me very nervous, because, while good CS is great and all, the fact that so many people just on the various online forums have already dealt with them, says that they are putting a LOT of scopes with problems out onto the market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never used Vortex CS but after everything I've heard, I'm actually excited to talk to em tomorrow.</div></div>

I've had my eye on one of these scopes, but the dozens and dozens of posts I see all over the internet by people talking about how great their experience with Vortex CS was makes me very nervous, because, while good CS is great and all, the fact that so many people just on the various online forums have already dealt with them, says that they are putting a LOT of scopes with problems out onto the market.</div></div>

The problem I was having, has been experienced by other people with much higher end scopes (read through the thread if you like). The scope seems very durable, and even though it had debris in the reticle, it still preformed and held zero like it should. I would recommend one of these scopes to anyone. Bang for the buck, they are VERY hard to beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keyser Söze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never used Vortex CS but after everything I've heard, I'm actually excited to talk to em tomorrow.</div></div>

I've had my eye on one of these scopes, but the dozens and dozens of posts I see all over the internet by people talking about how great their experience with Vortex CS was makes me very nervous, because, while good CS is great and all, the fact that so many people just on the various online forums have already dealt with them, says that they are putting a LOT of scopes with problems out onto the market. </div></div>

I think the demand for this scope was much higher than initially anticipated, orders fell behind, and in the rush to catch up, some may have slipped through QC that shouldn't have. Who knows.

What we do know is that Vortex is capable of turning out a high quality scope Re: Razor. This isn't DarkOps trying to build a countersniper to fill a gap in the market between S&B and the Hubble Telescope so I trust their design and assembly teams.

It's something new and totally different, and the thing is jam packed with features. It may take some time to get it right. If I have to go through the hassle of swapping this out 3 or 4 times before I get a good one, I will still feel like I got a heck of a scope for my money in the end.

I have little specs in my glass that look like little hairs. There are three in my 4-16 PST that I have noticed, two marked, and one that I just found locating these...but its at the top and not seen in pic #1.

Ret-1.jpg

But looking through it into something with a heavy detailed background, you can barely notice them.

Ret-2.jpg

^^^ the particles in mine were small like that too until I zoomed in, and then they were HUGE. With each shot, some of the particles would shift around. There were probably 14 separate specs. None of this had an effect on the performance of the scope. It still held zero and tracked very well. It was more of an annoyance than anything. I spec measured .6 mils to give you an idea. Anyhow, vortex fixed it and took care of me very fast. I still have it new in the box. I ordered a SS in the group buy and am waiting for that to come in to see which one i want to keep, and which one i want to sell.

Just an update on my scope from the pics above, last night I called and left a message due to them being closed, but they called me first thing this morning,(sounded like a cute little thing) and emailed me a shipping label to return it to them for repairs/replacement. Needless to say, Vortex's customer service and warranty is above many other companies out there!!

Re: **Update**Vortex PST Issue - Debris in Reticle

I just got an email from Vortex saying my scope, whether new or not they didn't say, but it should come in Saturday... So everyone who is interested in a 4-16 with MOA, look for a new one in the exchange!!!