• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrade to Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85mm?

hk dave

Optics Fiend
Minuteman
  • Jun 7, 2011
    So CA
    Hey folks.

I currently own a Bushnell Elite ED 20-60x80mm straight eyepiece.

For what I paid for it, the glass is impressive. However given the picky eye-relief, I find myself using it mostly at 40x and under.

Been contemplating a Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85mm with angled eyepiece.

Anyone have experience with both? Anyone know if it's a significant jump in image quality?

Is your Razor sharp all the way to 60x or does it just look like its simply magnifying the 40x image at 60x without actually resolving more info?

Primary use would be for range use while prone and the idea of an angled viewfinder is enticing.

Thanks!

Hi , I have a Vortex eyepiece which I purchased recently to go on my HD65 Swarovski body and I was very impressed in that it gave nothing that my eyes could see away to my fixed Swarovski 30x or 20x so I'm guessing it would be a good size step up from the Bushnell . I do however think that any scope going much past 35 - 40x will struggle even in great conditions .

Thanks for the response. My assumption was that all scopes past 40x would struggle... which makes me think, perhaps the 16-48 is better for me.

Sometimes you can't see anymore with higher power , For competition I use the Swarovski 20x fixed because of how clear and sharp it is and for its massive FOV when looking at other target boards and now I use the Vortex 30x with the MOA reticle when shooting in the field . Zoom eyepieces are now getting as good as fixed but they always loose out on FOV . I'm guessing that for the cost of a new Vortex razor HD you would get a second hand swarovski HD which would be pretty unbeatable for that money , IMHO .

I looked through a Razor spotter about a month ago at a shoot in OK. The glass was impressive but man the thing was big. I would save a tad longer for a mark 4 if it was my money. A more compact unit that will pack better is always a plus. You also have your reticule in FFP and not just with a fixed eyepiece a la the Razor.

Sometimes you can't see anymore with higher power , For competition I use the Swarovski 20x fixed because of how clear and sharp it is and for its massive FOV when looking at other target boards and now I use the Vortex 30x with the MOA reticle when shooting in the field . Zoom eyepieces are now getting as good as fixed but they always loose out on FOV . I'm guessing that for the cost of a new Vortex razor HD you would get a second hand swarovski HD which would be pretty unbeatable for that money , IMHO .

Which one? :)

I have a 20-60X85 Razor and also have the 30X ranging eyepiece. I have used MK4's, Swaro's, and some lower priced units. I am VERY happy with the Razor and have told several friends to get one. I too highly recommend the angled model as it is much easier to use in different positions. Mine is very clear and has a great eye box compared to a lot of other spotters out there.

GO FOR IT!!

I have been lucky to have spent quite a bit of time behind a Vortex Razor spotter over the past several years while RO'ing at various matches around the southeast. For the money, in my opinion its one of the best spotters on the market. The glass is good and when you add the 30X ranging eyepiece it makes calling corrections a breeze.

I love the angled eyepiece due to the fact i am 6'1" so sometimes setting up a spotter on a tripod (especially if its a straight eyepiece scope) can be tricky. The angled eyepiece lets me use just about any tripod out there and I can use it comfortably all day long. And having to wear corrective lenses, the eye relief is comfortable and does not feel like I'm trying to shove the eyepiece thru my glasses. The Vortex also rotates inside its mount so you can set it up lower to the ground and gives you the ability to use it if you're prone behind your rifle.

The only drawback to the spotter is that it is quite beefy, it does not lend itself to tossing it into a pack, a spotter like the Leupold Mk4 is better suited for that. That being said I don't think you can go wrong with the Vortex

Hope this helps and good luck with your search,

AS

I had the HD80 and sold it to get the smaller HD65 angled , I couldn't see anymore with the bigger 80mm than with the 65mm and it fitted into my pack . Both the Vortex and the Swarovski are head and shoulders above the Leupold IMHO but you need to work out how you will use the scope as I feel the the straight bodies are more limiting than an angled scope and I only use SFP MOA so FFP Leupolds with mil corrections are useless to me . I like the option of using a spotter as a top grade optic and not just as a one trick pony for calling corrections that are so big that you would never miss anything by that much anyway .

A couple months ago I picked up a 16-48x65mm angled Razor, and an MRAD eyepiece which is 23X on the 65mm scope. I think the glass is awesome.

One thing though, the MRAD reticle is calibrated at 30X, originally designed for the 85mm Razor.

When put on the 65mm Razor, the MRAD eyepiece power is 23X and the values on the reticle need to be multiplied by 1.25 to equal true mils. Still, I'm really happy with everything about the Razor spotter.

A couple months ago I picked up a 16-48x65mm angled Razor, and an MRAD eyepiece which is 23X on the 65mm scope. I think the glass is awesome.

One thing though, the MRAD reticle is calibrated at 30X, originally designed for the 85mm Razor.

When put on the 65mm Razor, the MRAD eyepiece power is 23X and the values on the reticle need to be multiplied by 1.25 to equal true mils. Still, I'm really happy with everything about the Razor spotter.

How were you able to come up with that number. I did the same thing last year and tried to get an answer from vortex and they couldn't give me one so I sent it back. Sorry for the hi-jack

How were you able to come up with that number. I did the same thing last year and tried to get an answer from vortex and they couldn't give me one so I sent it back. Sorry for the hi-jack

I measured 10 mils on an object with the reticle in my 12X SWFA, then cross checked with the MRAD eyepiece. It was only 8 mils on the MRAD eyepiece.

On the Vortex website, they do indicate the MRAD eyepiece is designed for the 85mm scope.

I wanted a reticle anyway, as long as I know the value is off It's still useful, if not perfect.

Guys , I was worried about Vortex's claim on the ' only for 85mm ' as I was putting it on my HD65 but a quick test at 443 yards put my mind at ease . I ranged a fence rail at a fraction over 30.5 MOA with the scope , the rail was 3.615m ( 142.3 inches )
    1 MOA at 443 yards is 4.638 inches so 142.3 divided by 4.638 is 30.68 MOA . Peace of mind .

I recently returned a Vortex razor HD eyepiece that I purchased with a Swarovski body: eye relief not so good. You can't beat a Kowa scope at the same prices Vortex charges. They are the hands down champ. I decided to give Vortex a try after receiving a salesman's recommendation....ended up being a mistake in my book. Fortunately, they gladly exchanged it for me.

for the same price as the Vortex, this is my pick:
    Kowa TSN-663 2.6"/66mm Spotting Scope with Flourite TSN-663
    with
    Kowa TSE-Z9B 20-60x Zoom Spotting Scope Eyepiece TE-9Z B&H Photo

Last edited:
    The only I don't like about my straight Razor was how long it took me to get it, I pretty much only use the 30x MRAD eye piece, and FFP maybe a nice feature I haven't found a need for it yet, get it!