• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrading 22lr bolt guns

bigpingel88

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2020
Tulsa oklahoma
Im about to choose a path. I will either get a stock for my savage fv-sr

like dip/boyds kit

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1292132&CAT=9584

the oryx chassis

And see how far i can stretch this gun. Not sure if its worth my time to try to make this gun that honestly shoots decent do this or if i should sell it and get the bergara b14r barreled action kit for 649.99 and throw it in a krg bravo chases. The thought of a full size trainer like my remington 700 sounds fun/cool. Obviously a price difference but im curious if anyone has experience with any of the 3 set ups ive mentioned for the mini prs shoot? What kind of groups did you manage before and after the stock ugrades and how long did the groups hold together? Could you push the restocked fv-sr or bergera out pased 200 yards for the longer 300 yard matches and do ok? Currently the savage does really well with Sk long range match ammo. Havent pushed it out to 200 or 300 yet. The current stock cannot be used with a bipod, it throws shots. Sand bags under the action screws are much better groups but the barrel is never free floated even then so i know it would do even better in a chasis or bedded stock. But good enough im not sure?

Thanks for the advice and input

Ah yes, doing the cost analysis of working with what you have vs. getting something new. I’m pretty sure I have an endless loop of these going through my head. What I do is an Excel spreadsheet with cost breakdowns. I actually have one built up similar to your needs. There are columns for both bone-stock and tricked out Tikka T1x and Bergara B14r, Area 419’s decked out CZ, value parts Vudoo and tricked out Vudoo, and RimX for good measure. It helps me cut through the cool factor and opinions and puts a financial value to the project.

In your case, it comes down to the value of putting more money into your current Savage. No parts will help it ‘push out farther’. What a new stock may do is aid accuracy by helping the rifle fit you better and not be impacted by a bipod. Good value? Maybe. If you are happy with that, great! That’s good value. But if whenever you shoot it you are reminded how cool that Bergara, Tikka, CZ, RimX, Vudoo, etc you played with at the local gun store felt, and still feel wanting, Bad value.

The base price on Bergara, CZ, and Tikka make them very appealing. You can go right out of the box and modify nothing, or gradually put money where and when appropriate until you have your dream rifle.

In my case, I went with a Bergara barreled action and bought some pretty high-end parts for it. My logic is if I continued to like the Bergara, great value! But if I wanted to upgrade to a Vudoo or RimX, my parts were compatible and I could just sell the Bergara action.

Now with all that said, don’t buy anything just yet. Just go to a couple of matches, shoot what you have, ask questions and get behind others’ rifles. You’ll get more solid info that way than you will from the intergooglewebs and spreadsheets.

Last edited:
Can't recall but just a couple of Savage rifles at rimfire matches (and those were new shooters). I had one years ago and that dog wouldn't hunt, no matter what I did.
But, not here to bash Savage. Like one fellow said try to run what you got in maybe a NRL22 match and see if you even want to pursue it further. Honestly it's going to be a hard go with a rifle that can't use a bipod and not free floated. Even if you're not interested in competing and just want to long range plink, still a hard road ahead.
So I'm just gonna say it and you probably don't want to hear it (I didn't 8 years ago), just go with the Bergara or CZ , rifles that are common on the competition line and just short-cut all the money your about to spend on the Savage because you'll probably wind up there anyways. Best of luck in your journey down the rimfire rabbit hole.

As others have pointed out, as soon as you replace the stock on the Savage with that chassis, you will be in Open class...where you will get your ass handed to you by shooters with Bergara and Vudoo rifles.

I've owned an FV-SR, and put it into the Boyd's stock. While the Boyd's is a vast improvement over the OEM cheap plastic stock, it doesn't really add accuracy....just makes it more comfortable to shoot. I doubt adding a chassis will make add accuracy, either.

I'd go with the Bergara action. That is exactly what I did, right down to the KRG Bravo. It's shoots circles around my Savage.

Get the B14R action with the steel barrel in the KRG...you will not be disappointed.

Have you considered bedding it and opening up the stock channel to free-float it? Both are very doable with common hand tools; a drill press or mill are great to have but a hand drill and Dremel will get you there too.

Im about to choose a path. I will either get a stock for my savage fv-sr

like dip/boyds kit

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1292132&CAT=9584

the oryx chassis

And see how far i can stretch this gun. Not sure if its worth my time to try to make this gun that honestly shoots decent do this or if i should sell it and get the bergara b14r barreled action kit for 649.99 and throw it in a krg bravo chases. The thought of a full size trainer like my remington 700 sounds fun/cool. Obviously a price difference but im curious if anyone has experience with any of the 3 set ups ive mentioned for the mini prs shoot? What kind of groups did you manage before and after the stock ugrades and how long did the groups hold together? Could you push the restocked fv-sr or bergera out pased 200 yards for the longer 300 yard matches and do ok? Currently the savage does really well with Sk long range match ammo. Havent pushed it out to 200 or 300 yet. The current stock cannot be used with a bipod, it throws shots. Sand bags under the action screws are much better groups but the barrel is never free floated even then so i know it would do even better in a chasis or bedded stock. But good enough im not sure?

Thanks for the advice and input
I have a B14R so I lean that way. I like the factory stock. But I have a Tikka T1X in a Bravo, like it also. I shoot both guns pass 200yds regularly they both do very well. Take you Savage out to 200 or 300yds. and see how it does.
Mark