• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Upgrading 6 AR triggers

HenryTheAce

Pushing Tin
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Michigan
I have an LPR with the KAC Match 2 stage trigger and another AR SPR type with a Geissele SSA-E trigger... and they have ruined me for all my other AR’s who are wearing mil-spec triggers. So I need to upgrade them all. Four of them are 10-11.5” barrels, one 14.5” barrel, and one 16” barrel... neither is set up for long range work. I would really not like to spend damn near $1200 on Geissele SSA. I see the LaRue MBT is currently on sale for $70/trigger if you buy 5 or more. How is the weight of the MBT Trigger? I would hate to have my SBR’s feel like the SSA-E trigger. That thing is super light and crisp. Just looking for yinz opinions on the MBT and if there’s any other comparable priced triggers?? Not looking to spend $1200+ to upgrade 6 firearms.

Last edited:
Reactions: bfoosh006
Mine all break around ~3.5lbs. Easiest $70 I could recommend to spend...you won't find a better trigger for the money.

And I should also add that is only for the 2 stage. The single stage was a huge letdown...another pound heavier with too much creep. I even tried a lighter spring and it brought the weight down but amplified the creep.

Last edited:
I have an LPR with the KAC Match 2 stage trigger and another AR SPR type with a Geissele SSA-E trigger... and they have ruined me for all my other AR’s who are wearing mil-spec triggers. So I need to upgrade them all. Four of them are 10-11.5” barrels, one 14.5” barrel, and one 16” barrel... neither is set up for long range work. I would really not like to spend damn near $1200 on Geissele SSA. I see the LaRue MBT is currently on sale for $70/trigger if you buy 5 or more. How is the weight of the MBT Trigger? I would hate to have my SBR’s feel like the SSA-E trigger. That thing is super light and crisp. Just looking for yin’s opinions on the MBT and if there’s any other comparable priced triggers?? Not looking to spend $1200+ to upgrade 6 firearms.

Excellent pull weights, and a great value.

Personally, I am not fond of the trigger faces outside edge profile...it is smooth enough, just not rounded enough for me.
I prefer a much closer to USGI smoothed around the edge profile. Not a deal breaker... but frankly, that is the only thing "bad"about them I can come up with.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
@celltech @bfoosh006 awesome that’s what I was kind of hoping to hear. Been doing some further reading and can’t seem to find any major complaints/issues with the MBT. I think I’ll “pull trigger” on them at $70/piece. Just can’t seem to justify spending $200+ per geissele ssa when maybe the benefits are marginals at best it seems

Reactions: bfoosh006
Mbt is the best value out there. I have them in a few pistol builds and don't find them to be too light. Alg ACT's are good too if you prefer single stage.

I have one in my AR pistol and it is very clean with a crisp break and a solid reset. AIM surplus also has their drop-in trigger around this price and it is solid as well.

Just put an MBT in a 7.5 inch 7.62x39 and it is light years ahead of the milspec that was in it. Trigger feels wide on the finger but it does shoot good and smooth. Mine was free but I could definitely see paying 80 ish bucks for one.

^^^^ What Andrew said. I have an SSA (not the "E") on one of my rifles, and it is too light for fast trigger work (for me). I really like the stock BCM trigger for its lack of grit and its pull weight. The reset is nice and positive, and communicates better when its ready for the next pull. With my SSA, the take up after the reset just jacks up my rythm. Single stage doesn't have that problem (for me).

Are you set on a 2 stage trigger? Or would a good single stage interest you?
I'm a big fan of the mid-grade Rise Armament trigger, model 434. I've been very impressed with that model, and like it better than most other single stage triggers I've tried. Trigger pull on mine is just under 2.5 lb, and the shape of the trigger shoe is very comfortable to shoot. They aren't the cheapest trigger, but can be had in the $125 range if you shop for deals.
The 3.5 lb CMC trigger I just bought is a let-down in comparison, although it's a nice trigger in it's own right and really nothing to scoff at.

People say the Larue trigger is good, I don't know, it's one of the few I haven't tried out. However, it's $70? and I for sure have heard more about it than the RRA 2 stage and that fucker was $100 twenty years ago.

So quality for cost...

Still gonna be Geissele man. But not the ones you're used to. Look on Brownells, Brownells contracts their own Geissele triggers. The rapid fire trigger feels a lot like the SSP to me, a crisp one state. Others with the 2 stage version say it's as good as the SSA. ONLY differences are: hammer is retained by a coiled spring that slides over the pin and into the hammer. It works and it saves a machining step and spring installation in the hammer. Then the system isn't individually inspected and SN'd, they're batch inspected (like most shit is actually). NOW, they're still costly so wait until the Brownells' sales. They sell 'em 20-30% off several times through the year, just be patient.

I took my rack grade M4's and put these in 'em and I forgot about a third on I'd put in another rifle. So I needed a single stage trigger for another rifle pretty quickly so I just swapped lowers without thinking. I dry fired it, felt like an SSP, moved on. Later I was cleaning it and realized it was one of those damn Brownell's versions and I didn't even realize it there was so much going on. They are FAST and one hell of an improvement for a rack grade rifle.

No reason you can have precision and speed in these things. And I totally get you wanting to have good triggers in all your shit and not wanting to break the bank. But if you have good rifles, might I suggest just getting a trigger here and there when they're on sale? Get the Brownell's or Larues for everything else, those non-FF M4's in the back of the safe. I totally get it, being a trigger snob myself. Not one of my weapons has a trigger in it that hasn't been fucked with on some level to make it better/more reliable.

PS, wanna get ruined? I'll trade you a Geissele Hi-Speed, NIB, for a KAC SS MATCH trigger in new or like new or hardly used condition. Just PM me.

Thanks for the info fellas. Lot of good info here. I decided a smart move will be to just get one MBT before I make the plunge for 6 and see how I like it.

Are you set on a 2 stage trigger? Or would a good single stage interest you?

I thought about maybe getting a SS trigger they’re nice but I don’t know. I love them for my bolt guns on the bench but I’ve never shot an AR with them. Still getting use to the elftmann in my black collar arms pork sword pistol... that thing is light and break like glass.

@Strykervet good info, thank you. Took your advice and just ordered one MBT to test out. Couple of my SBR’s I don’t want to skimp on. I don’t have much experience with an single stage trigger. They seem intriguing. I don’t know though, have an elftmann on one of my rifles and it is the lightest thing I’ve ever felt. Definitely different then a heavy gritty mil-spec and the 2 stage geissele and KAC match I’m use to. I don’t know how it would be in a high stress or non-bench rest scenario.

I don't think you'll find anything to dislike about the MBT two stage triggers, they are an exceptional value and I've replaced most of my AR triggers with them. Yes there are nicer triggers for more money, but there are far worse for the same price.

I have a couple larue lbt triggers and I love them. Also have a ssa and like it a lot, but it isn't twice the price (or more) good. I am amazed the larue triggers are at the price they are at. I think mark larue got pissed off at geissele over some sort of internet dispute lol.

AIM surplus single stage drop in or Rise 140 Single stage drop in- both under $100 ( Rise were $84 on Dvor )- Not Geiselle, but still very good.

I just bought 2 of the LaRue triggers recently &, as lots of people have said, it's hard to beat for the money....................but, it's not a Geiselle SSA-E by any means. Reasonably crisp, noticeably heavier, if that works for you. But since LaRue says it's a 4.5# trigger & mine break at 4.2-4.5 on an electronic gauge, it is what it claims to be.

I may put a lighter trigger spring in & see if that changes my opinion.

For a little more money, generally around $140 or so on sale, you can get the Geiselle G2s, which is a non-certified version of the SSA trigger..........change the trigger spring & you'll have a trigger than is an SSA-E.

For all but a precision rifle, the LaRue is plenty serviceable, & I'm not a big LaRue fan.

MM

I really like my LaRue 2-stage. I've heard the 1-stage's are meh, but the 2-stage is pretty solid. It does feel like it has a different break than any other trigger I've ever felt, like most triggers are described as 'breaking a carrot or glass', the LaRue feels more like taking a sledgehammer to a windshield. It's a CLICKy trigger that wakes up your grandmother to tell her it reset. Good trigger and easy to be precise with. Did I mention you'll never wonder if it reset?

I just played with a BCM trigger and I really liked it for $60. It is not a Geissele, but I think it is a solid 1-stage that I'll be putting in a new 11.5 rifle. If I didn't try the BCM I'd be using another LaRue.

Haven’t tried the LaRue personally but only heard good things. For a single stage under $100 my go-to has been the ALG ACT; I’ve got several guns with that trigger in them and they’re all excellent. Really kill any excuse for having a mil spec in the collection, ha.

Next up in the price/feel scale is the Rise stuff (240 @ $105 on dvor), then the Geissele stuff, then the TriggerTechs at the top IMO. I’ve probably tried about a dozen different models.

There are so many good aftermarket triggers these days; I consider myself a trigger snob who’s tried a pretty large bunch and I still haven’t even tried half of them. Take a look on the Enos forums for input from 3 Gun guys while you’re researching.

LaRue MBT 2 stage is the best bang for buck, runs almost as smooth as my SSA-E but a little heavier. I just ran an average on my MBT and got 4lbs 2oz. Go with it, you won't be disappointed.

Another possibility I have not tried under $100 is the new centurion trigger. It has been getting great reviews, and everything centurion puts put seems to be high quality.

Reactions: FishinGuns
Wow!! Really impressed with the MBT 2 stage for the price. I like the feel of the heavier spring vs the lighter spring. Feels like there’s less take up and creep (very very minimal creep). The trigger has a larger area then normal but I don’t mind it. Heck for $80/trigger or $70/trigger when you order 5+, you just can’t beat that! Just ordered 5 more to upgrade the 6 ar’s with milspec triggers in them. Absolutely light years ahead of the trash triggers that were in them before. Thanks everybody

People say the Larue trigger is good, I don't know, it's one of the few I haven't tried out. However, it's $70? and I for sure have heard more about it than the RRA 2 stage and that fucker was $100 twenty years ago.

So quality for cost...

Still gonna be Geissele man. But not the ones you're used to. Look on Brownells, Brownells contracts their own Geissele triggers. The rapid fire trigger feels a lot like the SSP to me, a crisp one state. Others with the 2 stage version say it's as good as the SSA. ONLY differences are: hammer is retained by a coiled spring that slides over the pin and into the hammer. It works and it saves a machining step and spring installation in the hammer. Then the system isn't individually inspected and SN'd, they're batch inspected (like most shit is actually). NOW, they're still costly so wait until the Brownells' sales. They sell 'em 20-30% off several times through the year, just be patient.

I took my rack grade M4's and put these in 'em and I forgot about a third on I'd put in another rifle. So I needed a single stage trigger for another rifle pretty quickly so I just swapped lowers without thinking. I dry fired it, felt like an SSP, moved on. Later I was cleaning it and realized it was one of those damn Brownell's versions and I didn't even realize it there was so much going on. They are FAST and one hell of an improvement for a rack grade rifle.

No reason you can have precision and speed in these things. And I totally get you wanting to have good triggers in all your shit and not wanting to break the bank. But if you have good rifles, might I suggest just getting a trigger here and there when they're on sale? Get the Brownell's or Larues for everything else, those non-FF M4's in the back of the safe. I totally get it, being a trigger snob myself. Not one of my weapons has a trigger in it that hasn't been fucked with on some level to make it better/more reliable.

PS, wanna get ruined? I'll trade you a Geissele Hi-Speed, NIB, for a KAC SS MATCH trigger in new or like new or hardly used condition. Just PM me.
i have 2 of the hi speed match triggers
..sweeeett!😍