• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Upsetting Experience with SWFA SERVICE (so far)?

Just got off the phone with SWFA - all of the scopes I want are out of stock...

For the MRAD line:
3-15x42 SS = out of stock
5-20x50 SS HD = out of stock
10X SS (rear and side focus) = out of stock

Thought I'd help you guys out since they don't have a webmaster to maintain their site.

What's annoying is that I ordered the 3-15x42 SS a couple days ago and not having been notified of any shipment info, I decided to check the website - of course it's backordered.

If they're not going to unplublish items that aren't available, at least have somebody add some text that says "Backordered" so people know BEFORE they order.

According to the CS rep, they have no idea when they're getting any scopes in, so it could months before they have inventory again.

When you send someone a text message or email, do you then call them to make sure they received it AND read it?
If a company can't properly process orders placed online, then they shouldn't offer the service.
I have placed plenty of orders with Midway, Graf and Sons, Midsouth, Wal-mart etc... and NEVER had to call them to make sure they had the item in question, or if they had any other issues with my order.

If a vendor takes an order, it is the VENDORS responsibility, not the customers.

Yes, I do. When I want a response and don't get one.

I have done business with all the above named vendors and have had issues from time to time about getting something they say is in stock and it's not. In a few cases, the item won't go through checkout, as they ran out as I was ordering.

Bottom line here is it's your money, not the vendors. You may want to put responsibility on them, but that won't solve your problem. You need to get involved. If you order something and don't get any info on it, call. Straighten the issue out. If they won't do that correctly, then you've got something to complain about.

I really don't understand why you all get so hung up on making a phone call. Just because you feel "connected" doesn't mean it's a push button world.

I'm not hung up about making a call.
I'm hung up on customer service.
Retail is a a customer service business, if you take someones money, you should provide the service or item.
Simple as that.

I have purchased from SWFA, I will again.
But their CS model sucks.
I will tell you this, I used the wrong card once, it was a cancelled card, they were very quick to call me to get the money.
Why would they not do this when THEY are the ones holding the cash AND the product?

A regularly updated stock info on the web order page would be very helpful. If not real time, a day late is better than nothing. Right now SWFA's website do not show in/out of stock for any item. That being said, I e-mailed them to ask about product availability and they responded very quickly (it was not in stock and not expected to for a while). I would think making the investment to implement integration between inventory and web sales systems would reduce SWFA employee's workload as well.

Yes, I do. When I want a response and don't get one.

I have done business with all the above named vendors and have had issues from time to time about getting something they say is in stock and it's not. In a few cases, the item won't go through checkout, as they ran out as I was ordering.

Bottom line here is it's your money, not the vendors. You may want to put responsibility on them, but that won't solve your problem. You need to get involved. If you order something and don't get any info on it, call. Straighten the issue out. If they won't do that correctly, then you've got something to complain about.

I really don't understand why you all get so hung up on making a phone call. Just because you feel "connected" doesn't mean it's a push button world.

Lol... Yeah because as a customer it's my job to make sure the vendor who's advertising a product for sale on a live site actually has the product they're advertising. It's my job to make every effort possible in order to give them my money. Bottom line is as a Business it's their responsibility to be able to follow through on what they advertise. If they're advertising products in a manner that indicates in-stock when it's not, then not making any effort to inform the customer who has already paid for an item that is in fact not in-stock means the Vendor FAILED. Why is it numerous bandwagon vendor defenders here think just because you accepted sub-par service at some point that the rest of us should? I'm tired of hearing from guys like you about how the firearm industry has always been this way so we should just accept it like sheep and deal with it because you did. If you want to stay in the pot of water fine, but don't pull down the others with you.

A regularly updated stock info on the web order page would be very helpful. If not real time, a day late is better than nothing. Right now SWFA's website do not show in/out of stock for any item. That being said, I e-mailed them to ask about product availability and they responded very quickly (it was not in stock and not expected to for a while). I would think making the investment to implement integration between inventory and web sales systems would reduce SWFA employee's workload as well.

It doesn't take that long to deactivate an item from being added to a cart. SWFA needs to quit being cheap and get a real e-commerce site. Their customer service is great, but their site is the first impression for many and it doesn't help them in the long run.

It doesn't take that long to deactivate an item from being added to a cart. SWFA needs to quit being cheap and get a real e-commerce site. Their customer service is great, but their site is the first impression for many and it doesn't help them in the long run.

I have an idea. Why don't YOU put your money where your mouth is and start your own e-commerce sites? YOU and EVERYONE ELSE here who just has a hankering to bash a hide vendor because they think they ought to spend more money on their website. Lets see how that goes for ya?

I'll reiterate one last time. They don't have to do what YOU say. It's THEIR business. If YOU don't like it, take YOUR business elsewhere. If YOU have a problem, pick up the phone. If they don't satisfy YOU, get your money back. If they won't do that, then you have a valid complaint.

Interesting thread, the OP stated that SWFA was awaiting a shipment from Japan, I didn't know the SWFA scopes were Mfg. in Japan, I have always thought they were made in the PRC, learn something everyday.

Quit whining and buy a scope somewhere else. Or, quit whining and get it when you get it. The quit whining part mainly. Boiled down to its essence for you. Capitalism. Your wallet is in charge.

Last edited:
I have an idea. Why don't YOU put your money where your mouth is and start your own e-commerce sites? YOU and EVERYONE ELSE here who just has a hankering to bash a hide vendor because they think they ought to spend more money on their website. Lets see how that goes for ya?

I'll reiterate one last time. They don't have to do what YOU say. It's THEIR business. If YOU don't like it, take YOUR business elsewhere. If YOU have a problem, pick up the phone. If they don't satisfy YOU, get your money back. If they won't do that, then you have a valid complaint.

I'm not the one trying to make money selling products online against other retailers with LIVE inventories. No one ever said they had to do anything. Furthermore you hypocrite... where do you get off telling anybody when they do and don't have a valid complaint and how they should go about purchasing a product? Just because you do something one way doesn't mean everyone else must follow suit and definately doesn't make your way the right way.

Last edited:
I'm presently waiting on SWFA to make right on an agreed upon transaction. Without going into details, the root of the issue stemmed directly from a lack of inventory controls on their end. Trying to be patient, but its wearing thin...

ETA: should add that I've had positive high dollar transactions in the past with SWFA.

Last edited:
Really? Not notifying the customer that his item was back ordered until he called 2 weeks after his order was placed to inquire as to the status is the customer's fault?

This is where I see the problem. The OP probably would not even have an issue with SWFA if they had simply sent an e-mail confirmation, or a phone call within 24 hours to let him know that the item he ordered was on back order. For all the OP knew, he ordered a scope, and thought it was being sent within a reasonable time frame.

In my experiences, SWFA has had good customer service once you're talking to a rep. But the website not being update is a little annoying. I realize a real time inventory system for a company of that size with that many products is probably expensive, and very time consuming to set up. But it'd probably be worth it to the customers. I adjust my expectations when buying from SWFA. I know going into the deal that they might not have the item I want in stock, and that I may or may not be notified immediately. But I do know that they will let me know at least after a few days. Not my favorite, but it is what it is. You would think it would be worth SWFA's time and capital outlay to upgrade their system to keep up with the real time internet sales, but who knows, maybe they have all of their capital tied up in a completely different project.

Bottom line, they have yet to do anything that would keep me from buying from them again. But I have cussed their name once or twice!

Hopefully this thread can be looked at more as constructive criticism & customer feedback, rather than have some pass it off as unhappy customers whining & complaining. If anything, SWFA seems to have their hand on the pulse of shooters in general, and the Hide in particular. So possibly some of this feedback will trickle down and gets some wheels turning for the better. Or at least help spread the word to potential customers to be more proactive with communication when placing an order.

BTW, got shipping confirmation from SWFA today, so having some patience to allow a company the opportunity to rectify a situation is usually a sound bet. Mistakes are gonna happen, but how a company handles them is what really matters. In my case, no harm, no foul=a happy customer and great CS...

I completely agree that I hope this ends up helping provide criticsm in the end that will make positive changes and SWFA gets even better in the future. I get why people have been calling me out, but it is something that still needs to be brought up. I am also sorry for being a whiner. Yes, I am although I didn't realize it. When I wrote my first post I had had an awful day and this SWFA experience was really upsetting mr since I didnt know about any of this.

Havig said that, my patience too is unfortunately thin lately as well about it though i understand this process much better now. I will be totally fine after it ships, but I still havent heard anything back and while I now know this is common, the last time I called (when I started the thread) I was under the impression that it was being physically shipped from Japan. Oh well. I will keep waiting. If any of you who ordered the SS 10x42 MQ heard anything about their shipment yet, please chime in. I will make sure to keep you guys updated and will let all of you know how it keeps going from here so you can know what to expect too.

Are all the SWFA scopes mfg in Japan? If not, which ones are? Which ones are not? Does anyone know?

After 6 months of waiting and calling they finally have my scopes in stock, so I immediately order 3 with sunshades and BC's. Everything arrives and no sunshades due to back order. FML I didn't ask :( Hopefully they'll update their stone age site with instant updates.

I've bought several scopes from SWFA in the past few years but there is no denying:

Their website ordering process/inventory control SUCKS

Not receiving an order confirmation email SUCKS

Doing online business these days requires commensurate websites using the 21st Century technology. This is an integral part of customer service.

My 10x42 shipped yesterday and I ordered on 5/24.

I'll throwing in my two cents here.
The lack of real time inventory is a little frustrating. I work in specialty retail and I have a bit of inventory management experience. If you out source your website inventory system, it typically runs hundreds of dollars a month. While this might be a huge expense for a small mom and pop shop, I have a feeling SWFA does plenty of business to be able to afford that expense.

The guys there are pretty helpful, but they seem to skirt the issue of incoming inventory. They could just say its been ordered, we are waiting for them to ship, it's in transit, it's in customs, etc. rather than we don't know but we anticipate filling orders as soon as we can.

My 10x42 shipped yesterday and I ordered on 5/24.

I'll throwing in my two cents here.
The lack of real time inventory is a little frustrating. I work in specialty retail and I have a bit of inventory management experience. If you out source your website inventory system, it typically runs hundreds of dollars a month. While this might be a huge expense for a small mom and pop shop, I have a feeling SWFA does plenty of business to be able to afford that expense.

The guys there are pretty helpful, but they seem to skirt the issue of incoming inventory. They could just say its been ordered, we are waiting for them to ship, it's in transit, it's in customs, etc. rather than we don't know but we anticipate filling orders as soon as we can.

I agree totally. A small company, such as Triad Tactical, can show real-time inventory... why not a company as big as SWFA? It would easily cut down on complaints and make more customers happy. Seems like a no-brainer to me. They could also do without the restocking fee. I realize it might be a pain in the ass, but in the optic industry I feel it's important to be able to make a return without a penalty. Where I live there isn't too many places to get a good look at scopes, the internet is my only good source. Say what you will about opticsplanet.com but I've returned 4 or 5 scopes looking for the right one. IMO, the only good thing SWFA has going for them is their SS line. Other then that I will stick with the smaller and more personal Hide vendors.

Unlike you, I and many others have had great experiences with SWFA. On the most recent group buy they did with the 5-20 and 1-6 I purchased some but made changes and opted for the illuminated version of the 5-20. Due to the delays they encountered and miss-communication or an error, I received the non-illuminated 5-20's about a month ago. I contacted them and let them know the problem. I was over the return period that is stated but they waived the fee, gave me the return label and provided the replacement scopes in two weeks which was ahead of the expected time.
If you are unhappy with something from them ask to speak to a manager or another position. They have always offered very good services and gone above and beyond for many of us. I believe it is all the manor in which you handle the problems and address them. If you come across with a bad attitude to them they have no urge to assist you. Not saying that's how you were talking to them but it may have been.

I don't think I was impolite, but I just sent them an apology email and am trying to get any issues cleared up just in case. Will keep you guys updated.

Hopefully I will get this all resolved soon. Will keep you guys posted.

I had an experience with them that was less than great. I ordered a scope from them and then found out it was backordered. They just kept beating around the bush when I asked them when they expected it in. " we don't know when we will get any " was the answer I got.

If you are selling a product you better be in communication with your suppliers. I think they try to string you along so you don't cancel the order, but that's just a guess on my part.

I am in the manufacturing business and import stuff from different parts of the world. I know when stuff is coming and going within a week or so..

As I type this there is a banner add right above this box that shows the new SWFA 3-15 X 42 that says "Now available" Is it available ? No. I also don't buy the " we don't know when we will be getting any" line. I would like to get one of these scopes but am skeptical to accept the indefinite delivery date.

All that being said. The one SWFA SS scope I have from them is a great product at a great price. I will most likey slog it out for a 3-15 from them, but will look elswhere for that ready available brands.

If a company can't face honest criticism they will not improve. If you don't improve, your competition will pass you up. Improvement is not mandatory for a company, but neither is survival.

Have at it sandwarrior.

There appears to be two different SWFA's! The first has great customer service, delivers on time, even gives "discounts" to those on SH. The second has a web site that is pitiful, advertises goods they don't have, and they don't have any real idea how long it will take to get it in stock. It's well known that the SWFA line of scopes gives the consumer a very good value for dollar spent. I hope they read this string, make every correction necessary to bring their web ordering up to the standards they have set for themselves in other areas. It's always good to have a hard-nosed competitor in any field, it keeps the rest of the herd honest (price wise). I for one am glad the original OP posted this situation, rather than jumping up and down and defending what is wrong, I'd rather defend what is right about SWFA, and admit they, like all of us, have a short coming or two. Hope they fix it, they are good people to do business with, and they can only get better. My bet is, in a couple of months or less they will have this problem fixed, hopefully they set the standard for on line service, as they have in other areas!

Last edited:
SWFA you do need "in stock" and "out of stock" "backorder" on the website... it does suck when you order something... dont receive shipping info... and call about it and told "we are outta stock and we dont know when they will be in".... thats crap.... very happy with my swfa ss scopes though.

There are plenty of vendors out there. SWFA is not so unique and/or high quality that they can afford to let their product sell itself. If you believe in your product, take the time to invest in the company and the process that sells it. Convince me to buy it. I will hold up my end of the deal and pay you for it if you do so. A company needs to earn my business. Remember, they need your money to pay their bills more than you need their product for your leisure activities.

If you don't like SWFA's business model, don't buy from them. It really is this simple.

Oh wait, they have a good product at a good price that you really can't find elsewhere? Now what? There are two options. Buy from them and put up with their bullshit, or find a different product other than the SWFA scope. If it's a scope other than a SWFA scope, there are many places to buy them. Again, simple. This is not rocket surgery.

Your experiences with Swfa were just like my previous two experiences. I won't deal with them anymore, too many good companies out there to put up with that.

They have been awesome with me, every email answered with in a few hours, offered alternate products, and just emailed me letting me know that mine was on its way after 2 months. Just have to be patient.

All,

Is there any way I can get in touch with Chris Farris from SWFA? I am going to try this one last thing and give them one more opportunity to make it right before I completely give up and genuinely start bashing them. I have learned of some very unprofessional and mean dealings on their side concerning my order, but since many people have suggested I don't bash a good company without doing everything in my power first, I will try to contact Chris before I actually start calling them out to everyone I can reach for very good reasons.

Thank you.

UPDATE: Since my last post here I have actually gotten everything resolved and I have completely changed my mind about SWFA since when I posted this. I am sorry if this post caused them any problems as they did not deserve them, but I hope they still implement live inventory.

It would seem that almost all of my problems stemmed from my ignorance of the way SWFA's site operates and a complete misunderstanding I had after talking to the representative. I contacted them again this Monday about the issues I have been having and explained the whole situation in great detail to them. The CS rep was very nice, very patient, and very understanding this time and explained what happened. I managed to resolve my situation very much to my liking and received an alternate optic in the same SS lineup within TWO days. I am very happy with how it ended up despite the wait.

Since I posted this, I have learned a lot about dealing with SWFA and would like to share my advice to those new to shopping with them like I was:
1. Expect to call them in advance about what is in stock. I personally think their system should be updated to have live inventory, but it's okay.
2. Try to call instead of emailing them and make sure to check on your order status in the end - my order got canceled the first time I called because I wasn't clear and they deal with a lot of cancellations due to back orders.
3. Don't order online and expect to get your products fast if you didn't check the back-order status first

Thank you all for your input and thank you SWFA for dealing with me down my bumpy road.

If I need the item asap I will buy from someone with an inventory status on their site. If I don't need it right away I don't mind ordering from SWFA. Currently waiting on a base and rings from them for a tikka build I just started. Time is not critical since I have some work to do any way. I was kind of expecting the out of stock email when I placed the order. Not something to lose sleep over.

I think it sounds reasonable to be honest with you. I saw you mentioned getting things quickly from Midway, I once ordered some brass that was backordered (and I knew that when I bought it) . I placed the order in september and kept seeing the expected arrival time keep getting pushed back further every time. I finally recieved the brass the next february after I had given up on it altogether.

Just ordered a SS 12x scope this week. Check order status today and the scope is out f stock till 8/22. Wish their site was accurate...