• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US halts exports of most civilian firearms for 90 days

Krugermeier

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2022
Carolinas

WASHINGTON, Oct 27 (Reuters) - The U.S. has stopped issuing export licenses for most civilian firearms and ammunition for 90 days for all non-governmental users, the Commerce Department said on Friday, citing national security and foreign policy interests.

The Commerce Department did not provide further details for the pause, which also includes shotguns and optical sights, but said an urgent review will assess the "risk of firearms being diverted to entities or activities that promote regional instability, violate human rights, or fuel criminal activities."

The Commerce Department declined to comment beyond the posting on its website.

The halt covers most of the guns and ammunition that could be purchased in a U.S. gun store, said Johanna Reeves, a lawyer who specializes in export controls and firearms with the law firm Reeves & Dola in Washington.

Reeves said she had not seen the Commerce Department take such a sweeping action like this before. "For sure they have individual country policies – but nothing like this," she said.

Export licences for Ukraine and Israel, as well as some other close allies, will be exempted from the temporary halt in exports.

U.S. companies that sell firearms, including Sturm Ruger & Co. (RGR.N), Smith & Wesson Brands (SWBI.O) and Vista Outdoor (VSTO.N), could be impacted by the export ban.

Overseas customers include distributors and stores that sell firearms.

Exporters can continue to submit license requests during the pause, but they will be "held without action" until the pause is lifted.

The pause does not affect previously issued export licenses, Commerce said.

For shipments to government clients, exporters must name specific end users, while applications with unnamed government, military, and police users will be "returned without action."

Reporting by Chris Sanders and Karen Freifeld; Editing by Sandra Maler

• Angry
Reactions: Kalthoff
Shortterm: This will adversely affect retail prices and availability worldwide :(
Medium term: This might lead to copy-cat actions by other left wing governments, thereby causing problems for ordinary people :mad:
Long term: Nothing nice .......

Btw. Reuters say in their article that the story is on the US Commerce Department website, but they do not provide a deep link and I fail to find it: https://www.commerce.gov/

Flooding world warzones with 0 oversight and ATF still jerking around with a new takes on Fast and the Furious, but now they decided on ''an urgent review will assess the "risk of firearms being diverted to entities or activities that promote regional instability, violate human rights, or fuel criminal activities."

Reactions: camocorvette
Gee where do you suppose all the weapons left in Afghanistan ended up?

ALL the weapons and arms multiple countries have been giving to shithole Ukraine?

THAT would be a much bigger issue , huge in my opinion . ( I see I typed too slow,
@Maggot posted the same above.)

Am sure this all falls into the disarmament agenda and NWO. Call me cynical and concerned

Reactions: Maggot
So Americans sending rifles to their relatives in Israel is now a no-go?

Or are guns being shipped to Hamas?

So Americans sending rifles to their relatives in Israel is now a no-go?

Or are guns being shipped to Hamas?

Hey dumbass, read the fucking article. It said Israel was excluded.

I'm sure you have a brother and uncle at a Kibbutz. LOL.

Things changed when Hamas massacred the Israeli civilians. We now have huge risk here.

if you'd clean the troll cum off your chin, maybe you'd realize Hamas and Iranian proxies are here.

I much prefer to have US ammo and arms here for us to use. And reduce the growing shortage of same.

Things changed when Hamas massacred the Israeli civilians. We now have huge risk here.

if you'd clean the troll cum off your chin, maybe you'd realize Hamas and Iranian proxies are here.

I much prefer to have US ammo and arms here for us to use. And reduce the growing shortage of same.
Yeah, I strongly doubt this is an effort to address that risk though. Particularly with the 'Ukraine' exemption (who are literally the biggest arms smuggling risk of all). I think it's more likely an attempt to screw the manufacturers in the wake of Maine.

There may even be some backroom deal between say US and Australia to cut each other off. That would probably make your ammo shortage worse (checked where hogdon is made lately?) rather than better.

Because let's be real - if the current administration had the options between 'guarantee supply to help defeat insurgencies' and 'screw the firearms manufacturers/owners', which do you think they are going to chose? Just look at the mess there Ukraine sanctions caused. If there is one thing that this administration is really good at, it's screwing over Americans......

Reactions: BikePilot
Real simple. They think they are going to need that ammo and dont want it exported.

I misread that article at first and thought they were targeting imports. I was about to lose my shit.

Holy fuck dude.
You really jump from A to Z with my two questions? I sure hope you’ll be OK with some blood pressure meds,

Here's hoping the rest of world respects your isolationism.

RIP any Hodgdon powder users.
Not to mention the user's of Optics not made in the USA.

The outrage machine is hard at work: Headline says "imports"
Screenshot_20231029_063306_Chrome.jpg

Press the link and you get "exports." Probably just an innocent mistake.

Screenshot_20231029_063313_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: MarinePMI
Who knows maybe some Hamas dude's body was recovered clutching a Daniel Defense that some IDF folk dropped in true never fired only dropped once fashion they demonstrated in 7th of October

Its not Ukraine even though somewhere between 50-80% of firearms supplied by US are estimated to have left Ukraine for markets unknown

Note the exception for 42 countries includes Russia,Ukraine, Mexico, Israel, so who is actually left on the Ban Afghanistan and Iran? It seems Brazil, Thailand and Guatemala are on the naughty list

Last edited:
Q something like 80 percent of the guns recovered from IRA hands were sourced in the US with a huge number coming out of heavily-gun-controlled Massachusetts.

Not that I think the State Dept should have the authority to do this… and I think it has more sinister overtones than we are even imagining at this point…

But I bet that a lot of “advanced shit” is coming out of US enclaves of Palestinian and Muzzie residents. Bought mail order or in person… then shipped overseas with the corn flakes and Crock Pots.

The whole order is fucked, though… it’s biggest impact will be to destroy American jobs.

Sirhr

PS. Does this affect hunters taking a rifle overseas? I think no export license is needed. Just a temp import in host country. Or, just pick up a nice M4 or Stinger at the Bokharra arms market. We only left half a million or so overseas.

A lot of the world is still struggling with component and ammunition shortages, a huge amount of which comes out of the USA.

I appreciate this is only a temporary halt, which will probably still have a massive impact on the international market, and will probably end up being like the "two weeks to flatten the curve".

Anyone who thinks that the US should indeed halt the export of such items should be aware that if something like this was to happen indefinitely and the rest of the world stop exports to the US in return, this would likely be a disaster for everyone.

Remember that time when Governments thought they could shut down the entire worlds economys for just a few months to stop a pandemic, and didn't think they wouldn't see impacts on global trade for years to come?

People should be careful what they wish for.

Reactions: DIBBS
Would be cool if manufacturers cut the government off too like Barrett did to cali after they banned 50’s.

On another note, perhaps LMT’s QC will pick back up since they won’t be cranking out rifles for overseas contracts.

Would be cool if manufacturers cut the government off too like Barrett did to cali after they banned 50’s.

You mean cut them off of the weapons they sent to Ukraine and gave the Taliban that are now ending up in the hands of Hamas and other terrorists? Those weapons?

Reactions: DIBBS
How do you define an oxymoronic statement without calling it an oxymoronic statement?

"Hi. I am from the government and I am here to help."