• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US made boonie hat?

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
Looking for recommendations. I’ve got a Tilley and its nice... just looking for something I can stuff in the pocket and not worry about it. Would be nice if it dried quick and offered some sun protection.

Other than Crye, I haven't found one. The local mil surplus stores are full of "proper" brand stuff that is made overseas. I have 2 US made boonies, one in woodland and one in desert. Both are marked R&B Inc. They are probably 15 to 20 years old at this point, and I haven't been able to find a source for them...

Other than Crye, I haven't found one. The local mil surplus stores are full of "proper" brand stuff that is made overseas. I have 2 US made boonies, one in woodland and one in desert. Both are marked R&B Inc. They are probably 15 to 20 years old at this point, and I haven't been able to find a source for them...
I’ve seen the R&B’s, think they’re who made the military boonies when I was in. Haven’t seen a cyre in person and I’m more vanilla (solid colors, green) than a multicam. If its a solid hat I’d take a look at it though.

Thanks @hlee I’m going to keep an eye out. Hate having gear that stays wet for a long time. Surprised there hasn’t been any more competition for a US made boonie that dries quick and is durable.

I have a bunch of Slangvel hats...best I have ever seen.

If you have a FB account, he is on there. I didn't know he had an eBay site.

He is also a Veteran if that matters to you

Last edited:
Outdoor research makes good hats but I don’t think they are us made.

Made in USA, Grumpy old Veteran made, short brim,

lol he got pissed at me once.

He was making M40 type caps (with the bill, not the garrison hat) that were a mix of a current baseball cap and the original M40. He mentioned he was doing some customer orders. So I emailed him and asked if he would do the silver officers lining on the M40.

Oh man. Apparently he doesn't like Germans, let alone German officers very much. After his rant, I could never get him to answer an email ever again. lol