• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Marine stands guard for sick child

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
Sorry if this has been posted, the Search button says otherwise.

Break out the kleenex. Semper Fi to this Marine, and shame on the media for making me go to the UK to find this story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...night-died.html

<span style="font-weight: bold">
Heartbreaking story of the terminally ill boy, 12, who became a Marine (and had an honour guard at the hospital on the night he died)
Cody Green, had leukaemia three times and died due to related infections

His battle inspired the local Marine Corps, who said Cody 'fought as hard as any marine' during his cancer battle
Cody's mum seriously injured at the fatal Sugarland concert that killed 7 when the stage collapsed at the Indiana State Fair last August

Throughout his short life, young Cody Green had admired the bravery of the U.S. Marines.
But after years spent battling leukaemia, it was the youngster's courage fighting cancer which inspired his heroes to honour his bravery.
The 12-year-old from Indiana had suffered from the disease throughout his life. First diagnosed just before his second birthday, he had beaten leukaemia three times - but the chemotherapy had reduced his immune system and, last weekend, he died from a fungus which attacked his brain.

And standing guard outside his hospital room that night was a local Marine named Mark Dolfini who was so moved by Cody's continued cancer battle that he decreed the 12-year-old to be a honorary member of the elite military unit.

'He was very aware of his illness he knew exactly what medications he was on and what time he should have them,' Ms Ford said.
'He knew that by him knowing when he had to take his medications and what they were, his mom had to worry less. He was very worried about anyone leaving sleep over him

His mother Tracy Green certainly had a lot on her mind over the past few months, as Cody had two younger brothers and two older stepbrothers.
On top of that, Ms Green was seriously injured at the Indiana State Fair as the country band Sugarland's stage fell. Seven people were killed, and Ms Green was one of the 58 injured. She had to have 30 staples in her skull and had steel rods and pins placed in her leg.
As she recovered, Cody was characteristically caring, helping his mother wash her hair when she had trouble moving in the months following the August 2011 stage collapse.

'He had a passion for our country and our military and it was more the marines got sparked in Cody and they heard of his battle,' Ms Ford told MailOnline.
The youngster's father David Snowberger told local station WLFI: 'They decided Cody, with the strength and honour and courage he showed through the whole thing, he should be a Marine.'
When Cody's condition took a turn for the worse on Friday night, his family got in touch with a local Marine who said that he would rush to the hospital to be with the boy during his final hours.

Former Marine Mark Dolfini, 39, who was introduced to Cody through Mr Snowberger, presented the boy with a flag and Marine navigator wings.
'Unfortunately, Cody was not awake, he was on a ventilator, but we believe he knew,' Ms Ford said, having been at the hospital at the time of the ceremony.
In keeping with the Corps motto of Semper Fidelis, latin for always faithful, the Marine stood post outside of Cody's door all night, saluting Mrs Green as she went in and out of the room, right up until Cody passed on Saturday.

'The night before Cody passed, he stood guard at Cody's door at the hospital all night long for eight hours straight,' Mr Snowberger said.
Mr Dolfini, who was initially hesitant to go public for fear it would take away from Cody's story, spoke with MailIOnline, telling how he knew he had to spend the night guarding Cody's door because it was what he deserved.

'There was no question that was my calling that night,' he said.

'I didn’t give myself a time constraint and I knew I was going to be there as long as I could be.'

The Marine Corp's website states that the title of 'Honorary Marine' reinforces the special bond between the American people and the Corps by 'recognising individuals in the civilian community who have made extraordinary contributions to the Marine Corps.

article-2138308-12E4426D000005DC-232_306x423.jpg

article-2138308-12E4C930000005DC-686_634x730.jpg

</span>

Re: US Marine stands guard for sick child

Semper Fi
Little guy.

'Scuse me while I go get another box ok tissues.

Damn allergies are making my eyes water again.

No US coverage is BS!!

^^^^ Yeah. Me too. Ragweed this time.

And no coverage... well, we know. So what if some reporter doesn't use it to polish their career apple. Things like this get noticed by the people whose respect the Marines probably cherish the most...

IMHO, people who put on their service branch uniforms every day are heroes. My heroes, anyway. But this... this goes above and beyond.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Another Marine doing the right thing. Much respect for him showing up and standing at attention that long. Not an easy thing to do!

ever since i had my own kids, i find it hard to read things like this..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ever since i had my own kids, i find it hard to read things like this.. </div></div>

That's the truth!

GOD BLESS and this is what made America great, its people.

semper fi

Just goes to show you not everything is wrong with this country.Thank you marines for continuing your history of great service

It really is too bad that you won't see this in our news, yet you will surely see what the latest reality celebrity did the night before. On of our greatest downfalls...

Wow....what a touching story....it's stories like this that should be making the rounds in the media....Not the Hollyweird stuff

I've been thinking about this story since you posted it a few days ago but haven't had anything to say that would fully encompass both the little guy's struggle and the ever vigilant Marine so I'll just say: BRAVO!

God bless you and keep you, little guy, and thank you sarge!! Damn media are too busy with the latest BS from our political candidates.....

cant believe i didnt see this before.thank you sir for your duty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ever since i had my own kids, i find it hard to read things like this.. </div></div>

Yep , me too !

Semper Fi