• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Warship Fired On A Small Boat In Gulf. Fatality

shankster..

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2004
North Idaho
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/world/meast/persian-gulf-shooting/

Washington (CNN) -- A U.S. military supply ship fired Monday at a small boat in the Persian Gulf after it came too close, apparently killing one person on board, two U.S. officials said.

The USNS Rappahannock, a fuel resupply ship, fired on what the officials called a "small, white pleasure craft" 10 miles from the Dubai port of Jebel Ali.

The small boat appeared to be headed for that port, the officials said, adding that their information was preliminary. The U.S. ship verbally warned the smaller boat when it was 1,200 yards away and fired at least one warning shot before the decision was made to fire shots to disable the boat, the officials said.

"In accordance with Navy force protection procedures, the sailors on the USNS Rappahannock ... used a series of non-lethal, preplanned responses to warn the vessel before resorting to lethal force," the Navy said in a statement.

"The U.S. crew repeatedly attempted to warn the vessel's operators to turn away from their deliberate approach. When those efforts failed to deter the approaching vessel, the security team on the Rappahannock fired rounds from a .50-caliber machine gun."

Officials described the course of events as standard procedures when a small boat gets too close to a U.S. Navy ship.

The officials, who would not be identified because of the sensitivity of the situation, also described the small boat as having made a series of maneuvers, but emphasized they were waiting for more details about what exactly happened.

The incident is under investigation.

Re: US Warship Fired On A Small Boat In Gulf. Fatality

Let's hope another Gulf of Tonkin type false flag doesn't take place that brings us into a new war.

Really zmann? Let me think, May 17 1987, 37 crew members of the USS Stark, 3 of them friends of mine. (We should have smoked Saddam then.) 17 more and 39 wounded on the USS Cole! Yeah, I'd say smoke'm if ya got'em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's hope another Gulf of Tonkin type false flag doesn't take place that brings us into a new war.</div></div>

And I was thinking why were there survivors make the learning curve steep enough and we will have fewer problems

I'd never even heard about USS Stark, had to look it up. Just a few years before that took place, Ol' Rumsfeld was shaking hands with Saddam.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd never even heard about USS Stark, had to look it up. Just a few years before that took place, Ol' Rumsfeld was shaking hands with Saddam. </div></div>
But where had his hand been, just prior?
Yes,... it is done.

If after 13 years people still decide to come close to our warfighters knowing the consequences, fire away...but do the job right and destroy the craft. Sink the fucker to the bottom and make an example of each and every one of them. Can water be scortched?

I would think a warning burst from a 50 cal machine gun would be plenty of warning for anybody with at least one brain cell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yeticowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think a warning burst from a 50 cal machine gun would be plenty of warning for anybody with at least one brain cell. </div></div>

The survivors are claiming they were never warned and instead were just opened up on. The State department has already apologized and it seems like they're going to give them something. To me that's a bunch of bullshit, I highly doubt the captain of that ship would have ordered anyone to fire without multiple warnings, if for no other reason than to cover his own ass in a case just like this one. This is really sad, it's like having someone trying to rob you threaten you with a gun and after shooting them get blamed for it because it turns out it was an airsoft gun and you clearly should have known it wasn't an actual threat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I highly doubt the captain of that ship would have ordered anyone to fire without multiple warnings, if for no other reason than to cover his own ass in a case just like this one.</div></div>

+1

I'd guess that naval officers in command of ships are VERY well versed on ROE...

I thought in most of these instance the Navy took video? We have seen video in other instances and hopefully there is in this case and it will show the warning shots.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of recording to verify that they fired warning shots. It probably won't come out unless it needs to though. If there isn't a recording and verification becomes an issue, it is really simple to have recording devices installed that will verify all the warnings given before the offending craft is smoked.

1) CINC apologizes
2) Survivors/family of dead tango get lots of US dollars
3) Captain is relieved of command
4) Charges filed against crew members

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) CINC apologizes
2) Survivors/family of dead tango get lots of US dollars
3) Captain is relieved of command
4) Charges filed against crew members </div></div>
Same as our case,but Captain (civvy) was not relieved,nothwithstanding that managed to deliver to Indian law his vessel,and two ours military members were and are now jailed in India_ITALIANS DO IT BETTER ! _ (don't laugh,please..)

Would not suprise me. I live in a Navy town.

Someone on my FB posted about sailors with PTSD and I think to msyelf "Yeah I'd have PTSD if I had to put up with women sailors day in and day out.".