• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns USA made 1911 for around 1k

DeltaDan

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2010
USA
I'm looking for a quality 1911 that's made in the USA for around $1000. I would prefer it to be reliable, well made and probably with a rail. I'm thinking about the Colt rail gun but maybe I'm overlooking something else. This is going to be a gift for my dad. Any other ideas?

Re: USA made 1911 for around 1k

Check out the Smith & Wesson line. They have a model or two with rails that should be in your price range.

HRF

If you can leave without the rail, an early Kimber will give you everything you need and nothing you dont. Forget the newer guns..not even in the same class.

Check out gunbroker.local web sites, shooting clubs, etc. SAve your money and wait for it. When it comes..jump on it.

I am not the seller, have no dog in this fight, just a little over 30 years shooting 1911's. Everything from a stock Colt to a full blown custom made by nationally known smith. Good luck..spend another grand on a reloading setup from Dillon and some quality custom leather. Go forth and shoot!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=311645248

Sig has several that fit your needs. I have a Tacops model that is pretty slick, and I know they make a few more with a rail. One sold here last week for $800! From what I read the Sig 1911s are all built in NH from all american made parts. I cannot, however, vouch for the veracity of that, as it was not a factor in my decision.

The SR1911 mentioned above is nice too. I bought one for my dad's b-day last week, and it shoots lights out. No checkering on the front strap, and the sights leave something to be desired, but overall a great value 1911 at $625.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patsim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig has several that fit your needs. I have a Tacops model that is pretty slick, and I know they make a few more with a rail. One sold here last week for $800! From what I read the Sig 1911s are all built in NH from all american made parts. I cannot, however, vouch for the veracity of that, as it was not a factor in my decision. </div></div>

+1

The S&Ws look nice but they ruined them by engraving "caution - capable of firing with magazine removed" on the side, deal breaker there.

STI Trojan is made in Texas and is the most accurate pistol I've ever shot. They are very nice, but Colt is the original, and nice also.

+1 on the STI Trojan. Buy one, you won't regret it!

Mike

Thanks for your help guys, going with the Colt for the originality.

STI Trojan is the unquestionable answer to this question. Colts are not even comparable.

Springfield loaded stainless, or any springer with a NM s/n prefix is made in USA. I don't think those frames come from Brazil, but I could be wrong. No import markings, so unlikely the blanks could be from Brazil, but when they cut the frame, they do it in the good ol USA. The NM springers are fit VERY tight bushing to barrel, probably tackdrivers from what I've seen.

Other than that, I'd probably lean STI at $1000, most bang for your buck. For a nice new Kimber, I'd rather spend more, seen bad quality control at their $800-1000 range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Colts are not even comparable. </div></div>

Sad but true.