• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report USAammo - New Ammunition Manufacturer

Shady_Jay

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2006
http://www.usaammo.com/

USAammo is a new ammunition manufacturer based out of Houston. I became familiar with them at the last team match at Tiger Valley. USAammo had graciously donated several cases of ammo to the prize table. This is a direct-market ammunition company designed to provide inexpensive ammunition. I was asked by the company to field test their new manufacture .40 S&W and .223 Rem ball ammunition. The tests were conducted with three shooters and multiple weapon platforms.

P1000242-1.jpg

The first thing you notice is the attractive packaging. There are 50 rounds per box in both calibers. The ammunition was clean and serviceable upon initial inspection. All rounds are made from brass casings and are boxer primed. The .223 is made from Lake City brass. The tested rounds were their .223 Rem 55gr FMJ and .40 S&W 180gr FMJ. The company is most concerned with functionality of the ammunition over accuracy since it is ball ammunition

Five hundred .40 S&W rounds were shot through five different GLOCK pistols over two weekends. There were zero failures. Accuracy was acceptable for the steel plate engagement done at NTRP. The ammunition ran as clean as any other quality factory ammunition. The average velocity between all pistols was 885fps.

P1000249.jpg

Five hundred .223 Rem rounds were also shot over the same two weekends. Seven different AR-15 style rifles were used of all different brands. There were zero failures. Average 100 yard groups were two to four MOA. Again, this is ball ammo and not designed for precision. The ammo also ran clean and had no problems engaging steel with rapid fire. The last 150 rounds were run out of Colt AR with a Gemtech Piranha 5.56 silencer. There were no issues with functioning while suppressed. The average velocity between all rifles with a 16” barrel was 2801fps. A Colt H-Bar with 24” barrel averaged 3052fps.

In conclusion, the other shooters and I were very impressed with the reliability of the ammunition. The prices are low enough that a case of either ammo could be kept on hand for match stages that require a high volume of close range fire. USAammo is continually updating their products and will soon offer precision rounds in .223 and .308. North Texas Rifle Precision will be assisting USA Ammo in the development of their precision ammunition, and look forward to sharing the results with you in the future.

USAammo is also in the process of becoming a vendor for Snipers Hide.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

I would like to thank Rudy Zaruba, VP USAammo. I would also like to thank Brian Smith, Chuck Stewart and Lesley Jones for assisting with the field trials.

Re: USAammo - New Ammunition Manufacturer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What brass did they use in the 223 rounds? </div></div>

Lake City, sorry. I edited the post. Thanks!

Kewl! C.K.A. Let us know when they have .308, I'll give it a try.

-Pat

Do they have any plans on manufacturing some 5.56mm with a little heavier bullets? Say something in the 62grn arena. My M4 has a 16" 1:9 twist rate.

I took a look at their website and checked-out the .308 they already offer, but it was re-manufactured stuff. When they come out with their precision rounds in .308 do you know what the bullet weight will be? (165, 168,) or (175 hint
smile.gif
hint)

You know now that I mention it, I think Vu said a lot of the guys shooting .308 out to a 1,000 yards where he was at were using 150 or 155grn scenars, I can't remember. Anyhow, just thinking out loud.

-Pat

I shot a couple of boxes of Win White Box in my G21c, shockingly I had cleaned before shooting, when I got done with my 2 peso whore Glock it was filfthy, WWB is not know as clean ammo, I then loaded up some of CKAs G22 mags with USAA and shot it from 15-20 yards, it shot great, clean, and no malfunctions, then we hammered with the ARs, there were no malfunctions, accuracy was pretty good for 55grn blasting ammo, I plan on stocking up with USAAmmo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CKA, GREAT write-up. Looks like a good sourse for ammo. Thanks to USAammo for donating to the prize table at the Tiger Valley team match. </div></div>

+ 1000

I got to pick up 500 rds from the prize table at TV and also wanted to comment that this is great ammo, but more importantly thanks for supporting our sport USA Ammo.

so...................this is team "B" approved.....for hardcore use ......right ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot_Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they have any plans on manufacturing some 5.56mm with a little heavier bullets? Say something in the 62grn arena. My M4 has a 16" 1:9 twist rate.
</div></div>

Yep, components are being shipped to me now. Their selected commercial powder is to follow. I'll be testing a variety of heavy .224 diameter bullets through different barrels to find a suitable load. My field data will be compared to their info and they will take it from there. I'll let you know the variety of the .308 rounds once I have those components in as well.

Pricing is not too bad. The 50 BMG is a bit on the higher side though.

Thanks CKA, I bookmarked them and will definitely consider for next purchases.
A more detailed description on the type of bullets used would be appreciated.

I'll be watching out for this. Thanks for the heads up Jay!

We just purchased 50,000 77gr 223 , 25,000 168 hpbt and 25,000 175 hpbt Hornady bullets for developing the first loadings,
Thanks Josh for the help
Rudy

Sweet.

Of course all data gathered in Texas alone would be insufficient for proper load development. So, being the gracious and caring man that I am I would be willing to test a 100 rounds of your 175grn .308 ammo to assure your ability to develop a round capable of high performance in all conditions. Ahhahahahaha!

That is all,

-Pat

I'd be interested in a 69gr or 77gr ammo, if price were adequate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rudy Zaruba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We just purchased 50,000 77gr 223 , 25,000 168 hpbt and 25,000 175 hpbt Hornady bullets for developing the first loadings,
Thanks Josh for the help
Rudy </div></div>

Rudy,

I am interested in your 77 grain loads for high power work. I parked my 30 caliber gas guns last month to concentrate on the little black gun, but I am as well interested in your .308 loads. In my business I travel quite a bit for the company, sometimes I do not have all the time to load.

You mentioned 77 grains, I am assuming SMKs. What do you plan to use for powder, ball or extruded?

I don't know if you are a member of Bayou Rifles in Houston or not, this is a perfect timing for you to introduce yourself to the high power community. This weekend is the State Long Range championship on their range. Besides all the 308 shooters, there will be some people shooting their service rifle ARs across the Palma course. I know these guys all reload, but if they can find some reasonably priced 77 grain loaded ammo you may get their attention, they are just as busy as I am.

You will have another opportunity to showcase your stuff on the third weekend of this month at Camp Swift near Bastrop. It is the State Service Rifle Championships. You will make a lot of points if you have small sample to give to the Junior shooters to try. There is a hot shot Junior lady shooter from your town, she may be at Swift. These Texas Junior shooters pretty much all go to Camp Perry every year, wouldn't be cool if they make it to the stage with USA ammo? I know how it is to start a business, the espenses and all. I am just looking ahead Texas Juniors shooting Texas made commercial ammo.

If you have not made the connection with the high power community, and you make it to Camp Swift I will make sure the match director will introduce you to the crowd.

I am hopefull you have the events I mentioned covered already, my statement above is not to undermine what you may have established, just some thoughts in case you have not.

Sergeant,

I will be gone the 3d week of this month at our loading facility for a week. I will have time to get everything put together for you guys to play with a loading. We also have a retired testing engineer from CCI who will be working on premium loads for pistol caliber and riffle calibers, we are working in a million directions right now.

Glad to see any new ammo on line, love competition.

But, saying any ammo runs well through Glocks hardly surprises me.

Looks like good stuff.

Well this is awesome in my books. I will be making the big bucks this coming month and have been looking to buy in bulk and I just priced out my first purchase at 1912.00. I will be making that hopefully as my xmas present..

Rudy will I get discount if I just buy the whole facility? Can I buy it and pick it up on my drive home. 6k rounds shipped is ...wow

This is an old thread, but I just bought 120 rounds from their website and was wondering if anyone has the BC for the 175 gr bthp in .308.

Also, what is the expected muzzle velocity from their test rifles?

Thanks.

PM me and I'll send it to you in the morning. It's late and I'm about to hit the rack.

I use their .308 and it holds 1.5moa out of my gun. it works great for practice ammo. and relatively cheap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robert Ritz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is an old thread, but I just bought 120 rounds from their website and was wondering if anyone has the BC for the 175 gr bthp in .308.

Also, what is the expected muzzle velocity from their test rifles?

Thanks. </div></div>

I emailed the company and was pleasantly surprised that Mr. Rudy Zaruba himself answered me. He said the 168 gr and 175 gr .308 rounds are loaded with Nosler HPBT projectiles, which have BCs of .462 and .505, respectively.

Ordered 250 rds of 40 S&W this morning. I shot the 308 168 and 175 when they were doing the load development. It shot well out of my LTR.

yup, Nosler rounds on LC brass.

Is this stuff actually match ammo? How does it stack up to the likes of FGMM?

Looks like a great price if it is LC match brass or even regular LC brass that has been prepped well. And the 175gr Noslers are great bullets.

Since I just got my HK USP .45 I have been looking at my options for bulk .45 ball ammo. Do these guys have any plans on a .45 ACP round?

Kelly

Edit: Disregard this as I am an idiot and typed this up before checking out their website. My bad. Has anybody ran any of the .45 ammo they make?

Someone did a really good job on their website too!

Any plans to add .338 Lapua Mag to your inventory?

I would love to see a 175gr M-72 equivalent loading, perhaps something like the 175SMK and 48.0gr of IMR-4064, or such. Garand shooters would love it, and it could have some utility in bolt guns as well.

My M1A/M14 load is 175SMK and 42.2gr of IMR-4064.

Greg