• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Use a MagPul CTR with a rear bag

shoobe01

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2005
Mission, KS
www.donttouchme.com
I think my favorite current buttstock in most every way is the MagPul CTR. I have them on a few carbines, and when switching my 700SA to a chassis, I ended up — after several other stocks I tried — with one on that also. It's easy to adjust, but locks in position to reduce wobble, is comfortable, has plenty of accessories (like cheekrests, buttpad options...) but for one thing: It's pointy on the bottom. The front one here is a stock CTR:

2018-03-30 16.30.58.jpg

So, no good way to use a rear bag. And after some poking around online, like running across the LaRue rear monopod adapter, I figured out that you can just bolt something on. So I made this (which is also in the background above):

2018-03-30 16.14.32.jpg

It's prototype two, and I sorta expect to replace it with something a friend of mine may make of aluminum sometime. He works in a place that precision cuts and welds metals, so maybe it'll happe... sometime. But as it is: It. Is. Brilliant. I could not be happier. By far the best rear bag arrangement I've ever had. Helps the recoil come straight back and return to position, beautifully.
2018-03-30 16.14.57.jpg

Needs a bit of the corners breaking. I don't think I need the shape to be different for reverse gripping or anything, but it's just a touch sharp still. Next is seeing how it holds up to actual abuse.

Anyway, half wanted to brag, half wanted to say: if you hate something then go fix it. And the CTR is a big enough deal, try it yourself if handy.

I think my favorite current buttstock in most every way is the MagPul CTR. I have them on a few carbines, and when switching my 700SA to a chassis, I ended up — after several other stocks I tried — with one on that also. It's easy to adjust, but locks in position to reduce wobble, is comfortable, has plenty of accessories (like cheekrests, buttpad options...) but for one thing: It's pointy on the bottom. The front one here is a stock CTR:

View attachment 6889384

So, no good way to use a rear bag. And after some poking around online, like running across the LaRue rear monopod adapter, I figured out that you can just bolt something on. So I made this (which is also in the background above):

View attachment 6889385

It's prototype two, and I sorta expect to replace it with something a friend of mine may make of aluminum sometime. He works in a place that precision cuts and welds metals, so maybe it'll happe... sometime. But as it is: It. Is. Brilliant. I could not be happier. By far the best rear bag arrangement I've ever had. Helps the recoil come straight back and return to position, beautifully.
View attachment 6889388

Needs a bit of the corners breaking. I don't think I need the shape to be different for reverse gripping or anything, but it's just a touch sharp still. Next is seeing how it holds up to actual abuse.

Anyway, half wanted to brag, half wanted to say: if you hate something then go fix it. And the CTR is a big enough deal, try it yourself if handy.
Nice! Hey what make is the MLKOK NV adapter on the front?

On the bolt gun? I don't even think it's MLOK, is the XLR one, attached by bolting to specific corresponding holes on the XLR Element v1 stock shown.

If you see another picture of it somewhere later where it has a side rail, that's me finagling the system, I machined stuff for that to happen.

Yes the bolt gun NV Hood. Also did you machine out the rear monopod/bag rider(?) attachment?

Attachments

• NV Hood MLOK attachment.jpg
    NV Hood MLOK attachment.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 65
Well, just bandsawed and so on, as it's kydex and phenolic, but yes made it. No, never made an aluminum one. I suspect someone should start 3D printing a better (fewer screws, click into the notches on the side of the stock) one for us all.