• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Use of FrogLube question

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
For those who use it, do you treat the bolt & lugs with it in the usual manner or, do you stick with Tetra Grease etc. for the locking lugs and any camming type surfaces? Thanks!

No worries! Use it on the bolt and lugs. After cleaning go ahead and slather them again with the paste and leave for 24hrs. It freakin waterproofs them...fn amazing stuff.

For those who use it, do you treat the bolt & lugs with it in the usual manner or, do you stick with Tetra Grease etc. for the locking lugs and any camming type surfaces? Thanks!

Never have believed in a lube that had to placed on hot gun parts to work let alone made from vegetables. Had a problem with it "gumming" up my AR during the winter, in Arizona like we have one, and Frog Lube wouldn't refund the purchase price and said I didn't apply it per their directions which I had to go to their website to get the "FULL" instructions on heating the gun parts, applying the lube and so forth and so on and the only way I could get my money back is if it was spoiled. (Spoiled!!? WTF, a gun lube spoil) Now those instructions were not included with the product. But I understand if you don't like it as a lube you can use it for a lip balm or maybe a salve if you happen to have a chapped ass. Disappointing see how they wave the banner of being a veteran owned business but won't support veterans that have issues with their products and want a refund. They got my money, but only once. Got a bottle and jar of lip balm when the SHTF for bartering.

I have had no problems with my Frog Lube in AZ. From 115° summer days, to riding in the truck and sitting at 140° in the cab, to -10° varmint hunting mornings in January up north. No instructions with mine either, and never baked it in. Maybe the 140° truck cab times baked the lube into the gun....

I've used Froglube on several ARs and two bolt-actions. It works pretty well. Yes, it does gum up when it's cold or after several months of sitting there. That's a drawback, but most oils I've tried evaporate within less time, and gummed up Froglube seems to still work somewhat OK, just not as slick as when new.

The marketing tactics have been distasteful and I think it's overpriced, but it's a decent product. I don't plan to buy any more though - at the moment Fireclean is the latest and greatest thing on the AR boards. When I use up my FL, I'll probably buy Fireclean if it's still getting good reviews by then. Which I give at most a 1 in 3 chance of, given how fickle lube tastes are. Every year there is some new miracle wonderlube that tightens groups, doubles velocity, cures cancer and makes you irresistible to women. I'll probably end up buying whatever "that" is in 1-2 years.

I used FL on my rifles until it gummed up an AR that had been sitting in the safe for a few months. It was so bad that I had constant malfunctions that didn't go away until I cleaned it. I switched to FireClean on rifles and still use FL on handguns.

I abuse the rifles with FC worse than I have with FL and it keeps functioning. I don't even remember the last time I cleaned my AR.

I've been using Froglube for almost 2 years. Use it on all my firearms. I've used it in my AR'S from over 100 degrees to down around 20 below for coyote hunts. I have never had an issue with it gumming up. I apply it with heat, wipe everything off after its cooled. Put a little of the oil at the friction points and put a little paste on the bolt lugs. You can use this stuff so your weapon is virtually "dry".
I still use Hoppes to clean the barrels though.

I've been playing with frog lube for the past year or two and I really like it, including the paste form. I've been running limited trials of FireClean for the past year and don't find it to be any better than the FrogLube. Both are good.

I've never used heat to apply it, just use a thin coat and I use the paste for the high wear areas. I've used it exclusively for my duty weapons for the past year and have not experienced any issues with extended courses of fire, exposure to rain and dust storms, or the cold. Seems to work well.

Been using it for about 2 years and love it. Bolt, AR and 1911. Never had any "gumming up".
I shoot all three often enough that the lube never sits on them without being fired for more than a month. Maye if it sat on there longer, but not yet?

I've used Frog Lube for a year or so, and while like it a lot, my AR "gummed" up on me this weekend in the rain resulting in several malfunctions. When I cleaned the gun yesterday the Frog Lube had the consistency of paste. My guns don't sit for any length of time and I had just stripped and reapplied the lube Thursday. I plan to switch back to KG4, gun butter, or try something new. At this point I can't recommend Frog Lube.