• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

used Rem 700 SPS Tactical? for sale in local shop

blue_ridge

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Eastern NC
I just spotted a Rem700, 223, 24" or 26" factory varmint barrel - matte blue, not fluted, in a solid black Bell&Carlson medalist stock that has the rear bag hook on the bottom. It was used, some scuffs here and there, for $500. The tag said rifle was bedded but I don't know if they mean the Bell &Carlson bedding block or someone bedded it themselves.

I've looked around the Remington sight but most of the models I see either have a B&C stock with colors or webbing in them or they have fluted barrels. Anyone know what this model is exactly? If the bedding job is not suspect and the rifling and chamber look decent, what is it worth?

Re: used Rem 700 SPS Tactical? for sale in local shop

it sounds like a sps tactical that used to wear a hogue stock, someone put a $200 stock on it. I would suggest trying to haggle the price down some, but it is definitely worth $500

It looked similar to the Model 700 XCR Tactical Long Range except it had a plain black stock instead of the green/black webbed version. If Remington never made a model like this, then I probably need to ask the shop to remove the action from stock to inspect the bedding job. Is it reasonable to ask a shop to check for throat erosion? Or should I just shine a light down the bore to inspect rifling and take my chances?

If the barrel is that long chances are that it's a sps varmint in a B&C light tactical stock. This would mean it's a 12 twist which wont shoot heavies. Know what your paying for. Other than that, 500 is a good buy if it;s what you want.

The SPS Tactical is a 20 inch barrel. 9 twist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SPS Tactical is a 20 inch barrel. 9 twist</div></div>

True, but he said this is a 24 or 26" factory heavy barrel which means it's not a tactical and therefor not a 9 twist.

And FWIW, I've never seen a factory rem barrel 24 inches long.

Okay, yeah it figured it was probably 26" I just knew it was definitely longer than 20". I may go back and ask them about round count and see if they'll take the action out of stock for a peek.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SPS Tactical is a 20 inch barrel. 9 twist</div></div>

True, but he said this is a 24 or 26" factory heavy barrel which means it's not a tactical and therefor not a 9 twist.

And FWIW, I've never seen a factory rem barrel 24 inches long.</div></div>

Hmm...I guess my mind is slipping. I thought the SPS-V had a 24" barrel?

I would pass if it were my decision.

For not much more money, you could get a new SPS Tactical (which, as has been stated, is a 1-9 twist) and a new or slightly used B&C stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SPS Tactical is a 20 inch barrel. 9 twist</div></div>

And FWIW, I've never seen a factory rem barrel 24 inches long.</div></div>

Hmm...I guess my mind is slipping. I thought the SPS-V had a 24" barrel?</div></div>

All of the sps-v rifles have 26" barrels.

Though now that I think about it, you can't entirly rule out the possibilty of the twist not being 9. It could be a 700p barreled action which has a 9 twist 26" barrel.

And also I have to correct myself, the new 5R 223 has a 24" barrel so a 24" factory hevy barrel does indeed exist.

Just bought an SPS tactical in 308 for $500 if that helps any. 0 rounds, it was bought previously but never used. Thats prolly the low end of things but it gives you an idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SPS Tactical is a 20 inch barrel. 9 twist</div></div>

And FWIW, I've never seen a factory rem barrel 24 inches long. </div></div>
While it is LE/Mil sales, the M24 is a 24" factory barrel.
ETA: And I believe the early PSS rifles had 24" barrels.