• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Used vehicle prices

I have not seen a massive head exploding flip

I have seen dealers sell at MSRP now instead of $1000's above MSRP

I do not consider MSRP a buy price (unless I just have to have a car today for reasons)

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
This is what it's like in Western Kansas today. 1993 Clapped out Dodge with flatbed.......$20k. I couldn't help but post this to his marketplace add.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 3.24.55 PM.png

People are actually buying these. Not sure what they are paying, but guessing $17,500 for this one. It's a $7500 pickup 3 years ago. Not the case today.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 3.29.19 PM.png

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Have 2 sisters still waiting on vehicles they ordered. I is waiting on a Ford transit 250 to replace her current transit 250 (nephew is a little person with a powered wheel chair). The other sister is waiting on a Toyota highlander i think. Possibly the hybrid. Don't remember how long they've been waiting though.
Highlander delivered previously.
Sister just got news of her transit vans build date and Vin number. Going into production week of 9/11. She ordered it November of 2021. They did upgrade her to the newer year model.
Sister finally got her van! Ordered 11/16/2021. Recently there was a recall on the backup camera and they wouldn't deliver it til it was fixed.
IMG-20231219-WA0000.jpg

People are actually buying these. Not sure what they are paying, but guessing $17,500 for this one. It's a $7500 pickup 3 years ago. Not the case today.

View attachment 8211261
I'm pretty sure that truck has one of those disposable Dodge 3 speed auto transmissions in it- brand new those auto trans were good for about 30-40,000 miles before failure.

I'm pretty sure that truck has one of those disposable Dodge 3 speed auto transmissions in it- brand new those auto trans were good for about 30-40,000 miles before failure.

The '94 has a 47RH - not the world's greatest transmission, but the likelihood that you're dealing with a stock piece after 30 years and 120,000 miles is pretty low.

The older 3sp you call "disposable" was the Chrysler 727, which is anything but when built correctly. In fact, there's very little about a HD truck of that era that is "disposable" other than the interior components. There are a few reasons that trucks from this era are going for both bucks - some of it is nostalgia, but much has to do with the fact that they're serviceable and maintainable. Granted, they also require frequent service and maintenance, but some of us find pleasure in having that sort of relationship with a machine. Should be pretty easy to understand for any true gun guy.

Might want to take your shitty takes to some other topic where it's more difficult to be objectively wrong.

I find myself in need of a 3/4 ton pickup now. New prices are still stupid AF. Throughout the PNW, the branded dealers are sticking to their guns on used pricing, though it seems, the vehicles aren’t moving. I’m sure they’re stuck with whatever unit price they paid. The smaller satellite dealers are starting to drop their prices a bit, some “deals“ to be had if one shops around. Since I started looking, the algorithms are sending me interest offers of 8.9%. 😂 fuck you! Private sales seem to be slowly dropping to somewhat more reasonable levels, depending.

I find myself in need of a 3/4 ton pickup now. New prices are still stupid AF. Throughout the PNW, the branded dealers are sticking to their guns on used pricing, though it seems, the vehicles aren’t moving. I’m sure they’re stuck with whatever unit price they paid. The smaller satellite dealers are starting to drop their prices a bit, some “deals“ to be had if one shops around. Since I started looking, the algorithms are sending me interest offers of 8.9%. 😂 fuck you! Private sales seem to be slowly dropping to somewhat more reasonable levels, depending.
It might be better for you to buy a new one.

Reactions: BJames
I really need to get my 90 F150 running again.....but when I do not sure I would sell it. What would I replace it with?

And, that is the "game" in this environment. What they are selling is "finance". Over the length of the financing, they make more off of that financing than off of the sale of the vehicle. They also sell all of your financial info as time goes on. That cash sale reaps no personal finance info.
American's are "betting against the house"...... over and over again, hoping for a different outcome.

Buy cash, suck up your pride and get by....

The '94 has a 47RH - not the world's greatest transmission, but the likelihood that you're dealing with a stock piece after 30 years and 120,000 miles is pretty low.

The older 3sp you call "disposable" was the Chrysler 727, which is anything but when built correctly. In fact, there's very little about a HD truck of that era that is "disposable" other than the interior components. There are a few reasons that trucks from this era are going for both bucks - some of it is nostalgia, but much has to do with the fact that they're serviceable and maintainable. Granted, they also require frequent service and maintenance, but some of us find pleasure in having that sort of relationship with a machine. Should be pretty easy to understand for any true gun guy.

Might want to take your shitty takes to some other topic where it's more difficult to be objectively wrong.
The 727 Torqueflite was a bombproof transmission.
They put it in a ton of motorhomes.
They put it behind the hemi and the 440.
They put it in the AMC Javelin and AMX with the 390 and the 401.

I have seen them worn out, I have never seen a broken one.
Ever.

Reactions: Ison

It takes about $55k to get into a crew-cab 4WD with a gas engine and cloth interior. Once you strip away the features of the higher trim levels, a modern HD truck works much like a truck from 15-20 years ago, so I wouldn't be too excited to give up the search for a quality used truck just quite yet.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
It takes about $55k to get into a crew-cab 4WD with a gas engine and cloth interior. Once you strip away the features of the higher trim levels, a modern HD truck works much like a truck from 15-20 years ago, so I wouldn't be too excited to give up the search for a quality used truck just quite yet.
If a used truck with over 30,000 miles is within $10,000 of a new truck, then I am buying the new truck. I don’t finance, so that comes into play, but I’m not buying someone else’s problems if it’s within spitting distance of a new vehicle.

Now if that used truck with 30,000 or less miles was 50% less than a new truck then I would likely buy the used truck.

That’s just how I approach it.

Last edited: