• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Usefullness of subsonics

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
I was pondering the purpose for a subsonic .308 round when I saw a lawn wrecking armidillo in my front yard last night around 11pm. Not wanting to wake the neighbors or ricochet a bullet into someones car, I decided to try the subs. The 175 smk with 10gr of trailboss will devastate a 'dillo, DRT. Neighbors never heard a thing, I asked! Apparently the 'dillos don't learn from others mistakes, another one in the yard tonite. 10pm and this time I tried the adapter I got to let me shoot .32ACP through my .308. Works very well. Not DRT, but dead none the less. I know a .22 would probably have worked just as well, but whats the fun in that??

Re: Usefullness of subsonics

I load .308 with Horn 180gr RN with 10.5 TrailBoss, very accurate at 100yds. Loaded 1 batch of Horn 220gr RN with 13.5gr TrailBoss, 1 1/2 - 2" groups, need to tinker with charge. Also 7,62x39 with Horn 220gr RN with 9.5gr Win 296. I worked these up for hogs, but have not had the chance to pull the trigger at one. Also 2 carbines wth 9mm subs, lots of fun.

just remeber subsonic bullets bounce like rubber balls, not to be used in built up areas unless you can get very special dedicated bullets that expand at 1000fps

The .22 rimfire with subsonic is particulary dangerous , so quiet you forget how powerful it is , even at 100y a ricochet will go through a wood fence or shed
Your face goes white , your pants go brown

Good application of the tools at hand. This opens a whole new world of shooting sports... at least it did for my dad when he got his first Form 1 approved.

Now he's working on a 6th or 7th, I lost count.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Your face goes white , your pants go brown </div></div>

Can I steal this line??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insert Name Here</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Your face goes white , your pants go brown </div></div>

Can I steal this line?? </div></div>

I already did!

It cant be stressed enough about subsonic ricochets. Even after hitting a soft target they go all over the place. On low angle shots....like shooting in the yard, they will just keep on flying..At least with a .22 sub, they dont over penetrate and stay in the critter