• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Using a DSLR Camera as a spotting scope?

I do not think it would work at all. With a Nikon d800 and a 70-210mm I do not think I could see bullet holes past 100 yards. A longer lens? That's a lot of money, might as well get a spotting scope. In yellowstone I saw photographers set up with two tripods one with a spotting scope and one with a telephoto slr. They must have felt the spotter was better for finding game.

If a 50mm lens is considered a "normal lens" for a 35mm camera, a 500mm would be 10x magnification from normal. Want a 60x spotting scope, and you'll need a 3000mm lens, which they don't make. Canon's 600mm lens, which you see on the sidelines at football and other sporting events, is available for about $12k.

thats what i figured, but i wanted to see if i was thinking about that right. I have expensive taste and too many hobbies, trying to combine them, ha..

You do have options, You can buy a Lense2scope, Here's a quick review I did awhile ago to give you an idea of what it looks like.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-rifle-scopes/92619-quick-review-lens2scope-adapter-camera-lens.html

Have also used it at 3.5 miles with the 2x converter on the lens and its surprising how much detail you can actually see.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Lens2scope-10mm-Eyepiece-Canon-Angle/dp/B004GGBQAC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1372120180&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=lens2scope]Amazon.com: Lens2scope 10mm 1:4 Eyepiece for Canon EF/EF-S Lens, Angle View, White Color: Camera & Photo
[/URL]

They make them for other brand camera's also. I have one I use from time to time with a Canon 70-200L lens and a 1.4x converter. I can see 5.56 bullet holes at 200 yards with it. Helps when your using a 10x scope on the rifle. Is it perfect, no...but it does give you an option other than buying a dedicated spotting scope.

If you have the extra cash a dedicated quality spotting scope is the way to go. But quality is the key word. Same thing can be said about camera lenses.

Last edited:
nice! thats not a bad set up. Its easier to justify a nice lens with that adapter instead of a dedicated spotting scope. two birds with one stone

I have a 1.4x teleconverter I use with my 70-200mm as well and it's great, but it still doesn't bring you near spotting scope or even good binoculars magnification. On the other hand, you can buy adapters for most spotting scopes to use them as super-long telephoto lenses.

Actually there are several ways to do it.

For the Pentax spotters, you can get this to attach your DSLR's:
Pentax PF-CA35 K-Mount SLR Camera Adapter 70510 FREE S&H 70510. Pentax Spotting Scope Accessories.

I personally have used the Televue Powermates with my astronomical refractors to hook my DSLR up and get high magnification prime focus photography and video:
Tele Vue Optics: Powermates

The powermates can have a T adapter screwed on for prime focus video and photography.

My regular DLSR telephoto lenses do not have as much magnification as my astro scope in prime focus.

Last edited: