• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using a padded sling as an improvized cheek riser

Boltyboi

dirty little vortex whore
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2019
I have an AR set up with a 1-6 variable and a CTR stock. This works great for me shooting offhandand from the bench, but the high scope hight is a nightmare in the prone. I have a larue RISR in the mail to deal with this but stumbled onto something futzing around with it today.

By wrapping the padded portion of my sling around the stock, I get just enough cheek height to be able to shoot comfortably from the prone. It stays in place surprisingly well if you tighten it down across the left side of the rifle, and gets pushed out of the way of the charging handle without impeding function.

It isn't perfect, but its better than giving myself scoliosis trying to shoot prone without it and doesnt occlude the charging handle like a traditional built up stock would.