• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek Riser for Wooden Stock

penguinofsleep

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
Somewhere USA
Looks like I'll need a cheek riser for 2 hunting rifles with traditional shaped wooden stocks. Don't want anything that requires drilling or that will leave adhesive / glue all over the stock, something relatively light, and something that won't stain / damage the finish of the wood.

First option was to just to use some high density + firm foam or neoprene of varying thickness and use some ace bandage or similar material to hold it on.

However, I want to see if there's anything else out there that people really like. A pouch would be nice but not necessary. So far, of the ones I've seen browsing around online, I like the way the PIG rifle stock pack (sold at SKD) and the Triad risers look. It looks like I'm going to have to tweak the height with both via foam / neoprene anyways. Other more inexpensive option would be this Beartooth option: https://www.beartooth-products.com/collections/comb-raising-kit-gun-cover-cheek-pad-weld-piece-riser

Reactions: acudaowner
there were a bunch of videos where people taped up and cut there wood stocks adding in a cheek riser and adjustable but pad of there very own the parts can be found online and if you don't think your up to doing the work you could always talk to a smith that might either know someone who could or do the work themselves best of luck what ever you decide to do
just idea's
1672304388198.png

1672304427203.png

cz at one but about the same idea
1672304499122.png

if you wanna go really cheap you could just wrap a towel around the spot where you cheek sits raising it up .

I just add a Triad stock pack to my new wood stocked rifle that needed some cheek elevation.

Here is what one looks like on a Model 70.....

IMG_0640.JPG

If you order from Triad include buying extra riser material. It's just strips of hook/loop Velcro used to build the comb.

These stay surprisingly tight on the stock if you put them on well.

Last edited:
Should clarify that not wanting to drill or cut up these particular stocks is only because I want to preserve and keep these stocks and rifles as they are as much as possible.

Should clarify that not wanting to drill or cut up these particular stocks is only because I want to preserve and keep these stocks and rifles as they are as much as possible.

See post 3.

Watch for my weekend post when I take my newest nice wood rifle to the range with its new Triad stock pack.

The new rifle adds the problem of being a Monte Carlo style stock yet still the Triad fits tight.

Last edited:
Kitchen sponges (new) work as foam material too. I like to compress them with the ACE bandage on temporary installations where I want more cheekrest but it's not adjustable.

Yep. Triad pack. If you are going to go the pineoak route of wrapped sponges, use ‘vet wrap’ instead of an ace bandage. The wrap is self adhesive, but doesn’t leave a residue. Also, foam from something like a yoga mat works better as it is a bit stiffer. I have used strips of the following with acceptable results.

(Tool box shelf liner)

Stack the strips until you have a good cheek weld. Subtract 1 or 2 strips (to account for the wrap thickness) and wrap with vet wrap.

Stock packs are great till you need to make a left handed shot. For me, the pouch on the right side gets in the way. Since most of my rifles are in chassis where that’s not an issue, I went to foam and vet tape for stocks where I didn’t want a permanent riser.

Foam from old, thick mouse pads work really good too. As does the dense black pipe insulation.

I used a Victor company titan cheek rest then put a stock pack over it. I like it a lot better than the velcro strips under the stock pack.

Reactions: Big5
there were a bunch of videos where people taped up and cut there wood stocks adding in a cheek riser and adjustable but pad of there very own the parts can be found online and if you don't think your up to doing the work you could always talk to a smith that might either know someone who could or do the work themselves best of luck what ever you decide to do
just idea's
View attachment 8032793
View attachment 8032794
View attachment 8032795
if you wanna go really cheap you could just wrap a towel around the spot where you cheek sits raising it up .
Where can you get the hardware? Found the but plate but not the cheek riser.

I know you said you didn't want to cut up the stock but here is one I did on my CZ 457. It was relatively easy after some thought and planning and 3 cans of liquid courage. I purchased the riser hardware on eBay for $40. The way I figured, $40 was cheaper than a new stock, and if I completely butchered it, I'd have to order a new stock anyways 🤷🏻‍♂️. I guess my point is, you can do it!!! Good luck.
20210718_090939.jpg
20210718_091538.jpg
20210718_092729.jpg
20210805_184614.jpg
IMG_20210815_121933_333.jpg

I've got one of those bear tooth neoprene pads. It comes with adjustable foam thingies. It's a giant piece of dog shit... and usually slides around.

I fixed my problem by ordering a $1500 manners stock, LOL

That looks good...and good on you for giving it a go!

Wants to save money..... installs NF later :ROFLMAO:
Thank you!...

I had that Atacr for a future build that hadn't happened yet so I threw it on there. The CZ will wear an Arken EP5 when it's all said and done.

just idea's
View attachment 8032793
View attachment 8032794
View attachment 8032795
I do not recommend our cheek hardware for a field gun, Reason being it has a snap ring retention system that allows cheek piece removal and replacement without loosing your height adjustment.
Knocking around in the field will surely result in a lost cheek piece. It was designed for range use for target shooters.

I know you said you didn't want to cut up the stock but here is one I did on my CZ 457. It was relatively easy after some thought and planning and 3 cans of liquid courage. I purchased the riser hardware on eBay for $40. The way I figured, $40 was cheaper than a new stock, and if I completely butchered it, I'd have to order a new stock anyways 🤷🏻‍♂️. I guess my point is, you can do it!!! Good luck.
View attachment 8037113View attachment 8037114View attachment 8037116View attachment 8037119View attachment 8037120
If you angle the back and front cut then by flattening the two faces that are horizontal the more you remove from those faces the lower it sits so you can eliminate the thickness of the cuts just for your own info, I think it's great that you have it a go and if what I mentioned bothers you on the next time you can try . here is the stock I just finished as the weather was poor so I got bored and I have a lot of this maple from a tree I killed

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_031809426.jpg
    PXL_20240204_031809426.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20240204_031809426.jpg
    PXL_20240204_031809426.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20240204_031714942.jpg
    PXL_20240204_031714942.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: JohnGP
This can be done on a wooden stock….XLR cheek riser and stand-offs from Grainger supply. Threads on mine are 1/4-20, but i think he changed the thread pitch in the last couple years.

IMG_0938.jpeg

Very economical and effective in my opinion if can cut and install the stand-offs yourself.