• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

using cheap 308 brass

fast freddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
P.C. Florida
ok i have 200 primed 308 cases i bought when nothing else seemed to be available. they are made by hornady i was told, but they say frontier. question is, how important is the brass? i have varget and 178 amax bullets. are thes worth trying to make accurate loads out of? or should i forget about it and get more fgmm or lapua cases? any tips or tricks in prepping brass would be appreciated.

Mike

Re: using cheap 308 brass

You should be able to reload them 4 or 5 times before they loose their neck tension. Hornady brass is pretty good. That's what I'm using right now for my 300 WinMag.

My experience with Hornady/Frontier .223 brass has been generally quite good.

What you have is some decent brass just check for wide variations in case weights. I have seen as much as 5 grains difference from the lower to upper limits. The weights generally run around the same as Winchester which is good since the majority of loads you see are worked up in winchester Brass. Depending on what brass you have been using you may have to add a little powder. I've seen as much as 25 grains difference in the weights of 308 brass. Here is a list I have put together on 308 case weights with the number of rounds that were actually weighed in (X). While I don't have any Norma in 308's case weights in the 708 were close to Nosler.

308 Weights:
Black Hills Match: 157.3 (100 X) 
Winchester: 158.9gr (500x)
Frontier Brass: 159.9gr (25x)
Winchester Nickel: 165.5gr (20x)
Remington: 166.3gr (50x)
"NNY" Brass: 167.5gr (10 X.)
Lapua: 172gr (100X)
Federal: 176.5gr (60x)
Nosler Brass 177.8 (200X)
"PMP" Brass: 178.0gr (30x)
WCC Brass: 178.0gr(20x)
FNM Brass: 187.5gr (10x)

Dam Bolt your slipping or getting old. This guy has not got his profile filled out. I cant believe you miss it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the key here is consistency </div></div>

Totally agree. Keep all my brass in lots of 50 within .2 gr of the same weights with full case prep to include turning necks with weights of cases inside lid with number of times they have been loaded.

I have about 12 reloads on my Hornady brass now. It's real consistant too, I believe it was their Tap ammo where I got it from. I don't care for Fed brass too much, psi comes early. I would stick with Win or Rem as it is reasonabely priced. I don't think you need to worry about weight sorting brass unless your shooting long range, maybe 600 plus.

That's my hope and plans with the 308 if I can reel the groups in just a little more. Wanting to try a 600 to 1000 yds match south of here.

I have good enough accuracy with Win brass by simply trimming to a consistent length and optimizing the load. When I want the utmost in accuracy I use Lapua brass with match primers. That's it, nothing more involved than that.