• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Using helmet mounted PVS 14 with EOtech/aimpoint?

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    Was talking to a good buddy of mine who has a PVS 14 about this and he was saying it's doable but kind of hard. He told me imagine wearing a football helmet while trying to get a decent cheek weld. Just wondering all your thoughts on this? He uses a laser paired with his PVS 14. I guess my question is that using a Micro T-1 or EXPS3 coinciding with a PVS 14 it pretty much has to be mounted to the weapon? Shouldering the rifle with a helmet setup PVS 14 with the intent of shooting through the Aimpoint/EOtech without mounting the PVS 14 to the gun itself is a no go?

Last edited:
    Was talking to a good buddy of mine who has a PVS 14 about this and he was saying it's doable but kind of hard. He told me imagine wearing a football helmet while trying to get a decent cheek weld. Just wondering all your thoughts on this? He uses a laser paired with his PVS 14. I guess my question is that using a Micro T-1 or EXPS3 coinciding with a PVS 14 it pretty much has to be mounted to the weapon? Shouldering the rifle with a helmet setup PVS 14 with the intent of shooting through the Aimpoint/EOtech without mounting the PVS 14 to the gun itself is a no go?

Your friend is right, it Sorta works but it is hard. This method works tond better with dual tube systems. You dont need to get an exact cheek weld just kind of a heads up over the stock with the holographic site in front and the dot will be plainly visible. As with anything practice makes perfect.

Using helmet mounted PVS 14 with EOtech/aimpoint?

Damn. See I'm selling my aimpoint with the intent of getting a Nv compatible sight like an EOtech EXPS3. Which I'm still going to sell as I still want to try an EOtech. But I was doing so with the thought of using a helmet mounted PVS 14 in the future to navigate and shoot with. Though I don't guess throwing a laser in the mix will hurt either.

Shooting the pvs14 on the weapon is a no go right? Recoil would damage the tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most 14's are recoil rated to 5.56mm. if you're real protective of your gear i wouldnt weapon mount it. if you are the type to use it and come what may then slap it on there. in my opinion theres not much gain by looking tandem through a red dot optic as opposed to using a laser. once you get used to shooting heads up with a laser you will be good at it and much faster. you don't loose sight of the target going to transition on the weapon. just point and click. just get a laser is my opinion.

That's what i'm reading more and more about. Looking at lasers now. Would you go with an OTAL/ITAL or DBAL-I2? I can't see myself using a day laser that much. The OTAL/ITAL IR versions are just as good ad the DBAL-I2?

I use ir-laser with helmet mounted 14 all the time and find it is a good method.

Specifically, I'm using laser-max ir laser mounted on right side of rifle and Team Wendy bump helmet. I have dual mount but usually flip the right side 14 to the side when shooting and shoot with the left side 14. I put an L-3 on the left and pinnacle on the right, so I'm shooting with the L-3. I shoulder the rifle but my nose is pointed right over the top of the EOTech so I am shooting from more of a "high ready" position. My feet are side by side, knees bent. In my practice thread, you'll see this ir-laser method is getting better results than thermal+eotech or thermal+internal reticle from standing un-supported at under 150yds.

Last edited:
    Interesting. I'm looking at the DBAL-D2 as well which is pricey but it prevents me from having to sell my surefire m300a and buy the IR version of it. Though it's still pricey it'd probably be easier to get a dedicated white/IR light and the DBAL-I2.

The thing with monocular NVG mounted on a helmet such as the PVS-14, it is ideally used with an IR laser.
    The PVS-14 is best used on your non-shooting eye. I'm right handed, so my PVS-14 is on my left eye.
    At night, I use an IR laser. If I go into a lit house or anywhere where the light is too intense for NVGs, I use my right eye for my optic, which has not been effected by light.

I had DBAL-D2 in my budget also, but when the time came, I went with laser-max for $155 on Amazon. Then I could afford two of them for two rifles and still have some $$ left over! And I can see the ir-laser dot at 800yds, not sure I'd shoot much with it that far away, but I can see it clearly with no illumination.

Get yourself a laser! You will find that its hard as HELL to shoot anything especially a coyote , especially when its moving threw aimpoint or eotech with a PVS-14 helmet mount. I have done it , but its no easy task.

I've run mine with a helmet mount/no laser, both eyes open and used the clear eye on the Aimpoint. It sucked, but it could be done. Not worth the hassle if you can get a laser. I wouldn't do it that way if it wasn't just last ditch.

I have not figured out how to use an aimpoint pro with a helmet mounted pvs14 on the non-dominant eye - a weapon mounted laser is much easier. the old aimpoint trick with the front cover being down and the left and right eye working together to put the dot on target has not translated well for me in the pvs14 world. In my test, the dominant eye had the visible red dot and darkness, the non-dominant eye had the pvs14. Using both eyes, i place the red dot on target and then activate the laser but the laser was at 10 o'clock and a foot away at 10yards! I then activate the white light so i can see with my dominant eye and the red dot was actually where the laser was pointing - 10 o'clock and a foot away. Not sure what is going on.

I prefer shooting with the pvs weapon mounted with a 3x magnifier behind the eotech, over shooting with a laser or a helmet especially for multiple moving targets. Shooting from the helmet just sucks. Shooting with a laser is ok and I will use it for one single target or when up close. Get a quick mount like the D-lock for your pvs and it only takes seconds to transfer to the rifle. This is just my personal preference for hunting hogs and coyotes that do not shoot back.

I just worry about damaging the PVS14 is the problem. I wouldn't risk it.

You can see more than 150 with mine and you could probably use the laser at more than that but it isn't very easy.

I've messed around with this setup and it was just easier to rock an IR instead of trying to look through the optic

I was going to say its like chopping your dick off and mounting your eyeball on the end, and then jamming the dick stump back in your eyesocket. Of course, then you are blind, dickless, and bleeding out in several places. Which I think describes the pain of trying to use a PVS-14 this way pretty good.

I guess you guys are less graphic than I am.