• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Using the MST-100

Re: Using the MST-100

I'm glad I saved this post! I zeroed my MST for the first time yesterday and this post probably saved me a dozen rounds. It only took me 10 rounds to get zeroed and I was GTG.

FYI: The original post says to move the crosshairs from POI to POA, but it was actually the reverse.

Thanks again!

IMAG0511.jpg

GAP M40A1 (Reid built) MST-100 M118LR 100yds 5rounds into the center target

You just have to love the simplicity of the system. Once she is dialed in and you find the ammo that works best for the rifle and scope combination there is nothing nicer than just dialing the yardage on and sending rounds down range. There is a reason this scope was so good for us Marines for decades, it followed the KISS rule and was damn near indestructible. While my Hensoldt is some of the best glass out there, I still really enjoy running my Unertl 10X. Also that is a nice group you ended up with. Have fun with it and let us know how it works when you stretch it out to some distance.

Thanks. Those groups were made shooting prone from a PRS cradle.

My range has metal from 200 to 600 and the scope was right on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. Those groups were made shooting prone from a PRS cradle.

My range has metal from 200 to 600 and the scope was right on. </div></div>

Where in Socal are you? I just moved from San Francisco to San Diego and need to find a range. (honestly I haven't looked yet because we have been getting settled). I would love a place I can stretch my legs. All I had up north without a road trip was 200 yds. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. Those groups were made shooting prone from a PRS cradle.

Where in Socal are you? I just moved from San Francisco to San Diego and need to find a range. (honestly I haven't looked yet because we have been getting settled). I would love a place I can stretch my legs. All I had up north without a road trip was 200 yds. Thanks!</div></div>

I'm in Orange County but I've been going to Angeles since I was a kid.

http://www.angelesranges.com/

It's a nice range. Pretty close to anywhere in LA County. It gets pretty busy on weekends though. I usually only go on weekdays or if I go on a weekend I'm only there from Open to Noon.

Thanks for the info! I have heard a lot about that range over the years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. Those groups were made shooting prone from a PRS cradle.

Where in Socal are you? I just moved from San Francisco to San Diego and need to find a range. (honestly I haven't looked yet because we have been getting settled). I would love a place I can stretch my legs. All I had up north without a road trip was 200 yds. Thanks!</div></div>

I'm in Orange County but I've been going to Angeles since I was a kid.

http://www.angelesranges.com/

It's a nice range. Pretty close to anywhere in LA County. It gets pretty busy on weekends though. I usually only go on weekdays or if I go on a weekend I'm only there from Open to Noon. </div></div>

I have noticed in this thread nobody mentioned the MST100 is designed to be set in at 200yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocLes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have noticed in this thread nobody mentioned the MST100 is designed to be set in at 200yds. </div></div>

I don't know about the MST100... the UNERTL?

300yds cut and dried.

Tour: '76-'86
Taught: Stone Bay '85-'86:
PA020074.jpg

When you talk of focusing at 100 yards, I am assuming that you mean focusing using the ocular/eyepiece on the MST-100. Is that correct?
BCJolly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry C Jolly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you talk of focusing at 100 yards, I am assuming that you mean focusing using the ocular/eyepiece on the MST-100. Is that correct?
BCJolly </div></div>

No such option. You actually have to move the front lens and lock it down to focus the parallax and as stated previously it's a one size fits all option.

"Set your focus at 100. Move back to 300 to adjust parallax. Unscrew lock ring till you have an 1/8" or so gap. Take your fingernails and pull the lock ring towards the muzzle to reset to baseline. Get behind the rifle. Have someone slowly turn the fine tune clockwise if they were looking at the objective. Communicate with each other until parallax is fixed. If parallax appeared good but you have turned too much past that point and it started to get worse again, take your fingernails, reset and start again. Repeat until you are there. Once there keep your eye through the scope as your helper tightens the lock ring on the fine tune. Said helper should be holding the fine tune rock steady, possibly backing off ever so much to where the tightening of the lock ring will only nudge the fine tune into its original position of adjustment.

As this is happening you are checking to make sure that no problems in parralax shift has occured during tightening.

Go back to the 100. Refocus. Go back to the 300 and check to see if parallax is still good. Adjust again if necessary. Go to 100, check focus and if good, then it's ready to zero."

The above says to focus at 100 then set parallax at 300. Refocus at 100 and recheck parallax at 300. Somewhere I'm missing something. Please offer an explanation--I'm trying to understand what's going on. Thanks!
BCJolly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry C Jolly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you talk of focusing at 100 yards, I am assuming that you mean focusing using the ocular/eyepiece on the MST-100. Is that correct?
BCJolly </div></div>

Yes, he is talking about focusing the reticle via the ocular adjustment. It is the FIRST step in adjusting the scope before you do anything else.

Personally, I feel the reticle should be focused while viewing against a blank background, just as the manual recommends. Then, after the parallax/image focus is adjusted for 300 yards, the reticle focus is rechecked. The reason for this is 1) before the image is in focus, your eye can be forced to focus on the blurred image, thus affecting how you focus the reticle (why you initially use a blank background), and 2) once the background image is in focus via parallax adjustment, it can be verified that the reticle is still in focus so both the reticle and image are in focus together.

Remember that reticle focus and parallax/image focus work together (or against eachother, depending how you look at it), so when one is adjusted it is prudent to check the other. This is why you should go back and forth between the two until you are sure they are both in synch to <span style="text-decoration: underline">your</span> eye.

And, as John mentioned, changing the parallax sometimes also moves the point of impact slightly, so this is why it's best to do all the focus and parallax adjustments BEFORE doing any adjustment for elevation/windage (other than initially centering the reticle). Once set, though, the system is tits.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: BullGator1

Great explanation. That is what I thought he was saying but I wanted to be sure. It's all cleared up now. Much obliged.
BCJolly