• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Using tripods - how often and how

Lone star Shooter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2018
How often and how do shooters use a tripod in PRS or NRL matches? In the .22LR matches that I have been shooting many of the shooters have tripods, but they are mostly using them for their spotting optics. Usually there is one stage where the tripod is used to directly support the rifle in a shooting position or it is used to help support the rear of the stock with one of the legs.

I have been thinking to get a tripod to add to my equipment. Considering if it is worth the $$$ or if the $$$ are better spent elsewhere. I can always borrow a tripod during a match, but I don’t have one to practice with.

The official monthly NRL 22 matches will not use a tripod. The MD can add local stages that might use one. NRL 22X/PRS22 matches you can guarantee that you will have the option.

For centerfire NRL/PRS they are helpful. It's always a tossup whether to use one or not, time and deployment standards will be a factor. They will make you more hits used correctly, but might cost you some shots if the time is tight. Less hits or more misses is always the question!

Yes, you can usually borrow one. A $150 hog saddle tripod will get the job done, and yes it's heavier than a $1K carbon fiber high-zoot one....

Tripod is my 100% most used piece of gear, because it’s holding up my binos and I spend a ton of time on glass memorizing targets, visualizing course of fire and watching wind. Hugely important for that purpose IMO.

As far as shooting off it or using it as rear support, that’s fairly rare. Maybe a couple stages in the last 5 matches. Handy when you need it for that, but not necessary.

Tripod is my 100% most used piece of gear, because it’s holding up my binos and I spend a ton of time on glass memorizing targets, visualizing course of fire and watching wind. Hugely important for that purpose IMO.

As far as shooting off it or using it as rear support, that’s fairly rare. Maybe a couple stages in the last 5 matches. Handy when you need it for that, but not necessary.
I agree with this completely. My tripod is my "Hub" at a match. I spend a huge chunk of my time there getting ready for a stage, glassing, holding all my crap etc. If I was going to a match and the COF said there would be zero shooting off a tripod or using it as a rear support, it would still be one of my most important pieces of gear I'd have with me.

I will also add that a good tripod has come in handy for me in a number of other non shooting ways. Hiking, hunting/scouting, cleaning, measuring, photography, etc.

+ 1 on this.

I bet 80% to 90% of my time at a match is spent behind my tripod. I’m either watching the targets, wind, or a combination there of.

They are expensive, but worth every penny.

For guys using tripods primarily for binos, what sort of head setup are you using? I'd like an RRS with anvil setup, but I dont think its in the budget for just hanging my binos off of.

For guys using tripods primarily for binos, what sort of head setup are you using? I'd like an RRS with anvil setup, but I dont think its in the budget for just hanging my binos off of.

I’m using the Innorel N52 ball head.

eventually, I’ll stop pissing money away and buy the RRS...

I'm using an Anvil 30 with an Abel Table on Leofoto legs. Its a good more affordable setup and I've been happy with it for a pretty long time. I will upgrade the legs eventually, but for now this works well. There are other options out there in the middle price range that would be just fine for glassing and occasional shooting. Leofoto, two vets, innorel, feisol, etc. There are sacrifices made with each, but budgets are what they are.

TA-3 leveling base, 6” Arca style cross bar with a RRS micro ballhead for my range finder at one end and an Outdoorsmans bino mount for the binos at the other end.

Anyone use precision rifle solutions tripods? Looking at one for thermal hog hunting so it doesn’t have to be insanely good

Reactions: YammyMonkey
I have only used a tripod 2-3 times as a shooting accessory in probably 15-20 comps. One of the times it was provided as part of the stage and the others were using the leg as a rear support. Tripods are most useful for holding optics and spotting/finding targets, and for that and an occasional use of the leg I don't see the need for a super expensive tripod. If you just want to use it for optics and use of the leg for rear support, you could get away with a cheaper tripod, but for shooting off of, the RRS's seem to be tough to beat.

For field shooting like hunting, I’ve ditched the bipod and committed to the tripod. It’s dual purpose and worth every penny.

if you get lucky enough to shoot a field match you’ll probably be shooting off your tripod a lot. It one of the few pieces of gear that you can use to buy hits.

My RRSs are the best pieces of gear I’ve bought in the last decade. PS It holds its resale value; so it’s a low risk proposition.

I have only used a tripod 2-3 times as a shooting accessory in probably 15-20 comps. One of the times it was provided as part of the stage and the others were using the leg as a rear support. Tripods are most useful for holding optics and spotting/finding targets, and for that and an occasional use of the leg I don't see the need for a super expensive tripod. If you just want to use it for optics and use of the leg for rear support, you could get away with a cheaper tripod, but for shooting off of, the RRS's seem to be tough to beat.

This was kinda the line of thinking that I have been following. Just ordered an Innorel RT90C from Amazon for $297. Seems like this will fit my needs for now.

Reactions: wpeach1912
I'm using an Anvil 30 with an Abel Table on Leofoto legs. Its a good more affordable setup and I've been happy with it for a pretty long time. I will upgrade the legs eventually, but for now this works well. There are other options out there in the middle price range that would be just fine for glassing and occasional shooting. Leofoto, two vets, innorel, feisol, etc. There are sacrifices made with each, but budgets are what they are.

Pretty much the same setup I'm using. I really like the Anvil-30. I use it for spotting with optics 95 percent of the time, but used the crap out of it at a high angle match this summer.

FB_IMG_1604399669922.jpg

This was kinda the line of thinking that I have been following. Just ordered an Innorel RT90C from Amazon for $297. Seems like this will fit my needs for now.

FedEx delivered my Innorel RT90C today. Pretty happy with it. Next to get to the range and really try it out.

For PRS and NRL matches, like most have said, you pretty much only use it to spot/glass or occasionally as rear support. There are a few notable exceptions like the Gunwerks NRL last year where you had to use your tripod A LOT and deploy it on the clock (which was rad and how it should be, imo). If you shoot field/team matches, you'll find yourself shooting off your tripod a lot and a good, steady tripod (and the ability to properly deploy it on the clock) is basically buying points.

I won't lie, I got my tripod specifically for my binos, and I don't haul them through the woods or anything, so I went with a Shadowtech tripod with a cheap pergear ball head off of Amazon. Surprisingly, it does hold my rifle up pretty decently - probably nowhere near as solid as an RRS Anvil though. When I do long range shooting, I use the 15x binos to spot and have a spotter. I've never shot off of it though, even at matches. I usually borrow someone else's feisol, leofoto, or RRS (Thank you, other competitors who are more veterans than I am, you rock).

tripod.jpg