• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMC Fielding 30,000 Rifle Suppressors to Combat Units

Longshot231

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2018
    From the article:

"In the long run, Marine officials also hope the suppressors will help reduce hearing damage suffered by Marines in combat units.

'In the big picture, the [Department of Veterans Affairs] pays out a lot in hearing loss claims,' Brisker said. 'We'd like Marines to be able to continue to hear for many years even after they leave the service. These suppressors have that benefit as well."

Well if it's good enough for Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, should it be good enough for the taxpayers that pay for that equipment. Is a Marine's hearing worth more than mine? Before anyone answers that question, I did 23 years of military service with Tinnitus as one of my disabilities.

Lots of Marines & I assume soldiers have legit hearing loss claims upon popping smoke. It would be far cheaper in the long run for anyone in an MOS that shoots a lot to be issued a suppressor from the beginning. The same could be said of LE as well. IMO this would save Uncle Sugar lots of cash in the long run, not to mention comms being much better between teammates if everyone has a suppressor.

Reactions: Rob01
    That’s a lot of suppressors. A serious ramp up in production (and fixed asset cost) for someone unless they subcontract.

I filed a claim for tinnitus about 10 years ago; well after I retired. I was told they awarding disability for hearing loss and tinnitus for veterans clear back to WWII.

I tried to get my Dad to file a claim while he was alive but he wouldn't do it. He was afraid they'd reduce his pension.

So for anyone that doesn't know this. I'll give you the Cliff Notes.

If your hearing loss or tinnitus (or any disability) is not a result of direct combat or combat related, then your pension will be reduced. Don't let that bother you because the VA disability is not taxed. So even though they will reduce your pension by the amount of your VA benefit, the disability payment isn't taxed. So you're saving money.

If you are retired from the reserves and haven't turned 60 and collecting the pension, you can still file a disability claim and get some money before collecting the pension.

If your disability is a result of direct combat or is combat related then you are entitled to Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC). So let's say you're getting $1000 / month in retirement pay and getting $130 / month for hearing loss, they take that much out of your retirement pay. So at the end of the month, you get $870 retirement pay and $130 in disability. They will award you $130 CRSC pay, which is not taxed.

I've used round numbers for simplicity so the final tally at the end of each month would be:

Retirement pay: $870
    VA Disability: $130 tax free
    CRSC Pay: $130 tax free
    Total: $1130

That's the simple explanation and there is obviously a ton of paperwork. I'm glad that I went to the trouble to get it.

One final point to make. I didn't see any combat. However, my MOS required me to be around really noisy equipment and they were classified as "instruments of war" for CRSC purposes. That qualified me for compensation.

Let's say you have crushed bones in your foot from when a HUMVEE ran over it while you were directing traffic on post in front of the PX. That's not combat related. So, I don't think that you would be entitled to CRSC but apply anyway.

Now let's say you were on an FTX and the HUMVEE ran over your foot. Then you should be entitled to CRSC.

I hope that helps anyone, who is like me and could use the extra funds that the CRSC provides.

The video quality sucks but the audio is understandable.