• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMC M1903 A1 / 1941 Sniper Rifle BUILD FINISHED!!

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
As promised, I'm going to try to document as much of this project as possible. Although the hard work is going to be done by Paul, my gunsmith, I'll try to post as much general information as possible as we go along and then post links to Paul's final project write up once everything is done.

The scope of the project is to build a replica of this historic rifle that can be used and shot without fear of damaging an irreplaceable original but that replicates as close as possible and within a reasonable budget, the experience of firing the original rifle.

This is not intended to be a 100% clone, nor is this is designed to fool collectors (a "fake").

However we will be using vintage and authentic parts wherever practical and financially viable to do so.

Firstly the donor rifle:

feb-stock-pt2-015.jpg

This is an inter-war years M1903 that has been arsenal refinished.

Springfields do not seem particularly common in the UK. We chose this rifle partly on it's proximity to known USMC serial numbers (it is numbered in the low 1500000,s), it's overall condition (particularly the bore which is very good) adn it's proven accuracy. When tested it achieved 1 MOA groups at 100yds using IMI 150Gr ammo.

The only issues of note when inspected were:

1) a sloppy trigger - there had been no polishing or visible trigger work done since the rifle was refinished. So should be an easy fix

2) A worn worm gear in the rear sight which meant we had to hold the rear sight in position with our thumbs when shooting (not ideal!!). A replacement is on the way.

Re: USMC M1903 A1 / 1941 Sniper Rifle Project begins

I found a Unertl x8 USMC marked scope from a source in the US.

The tube of the scope may have been refinished but I'm not entirely sure - it is a fairly watery blued finish - more light silver/grey than blue/black. However there does not appear to be any over-finish on any of the scope markings (see below) so maybe this is the original finish?

<span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-style: italic">(UPDATED 8/20/11: My smith saw the scope for the first time today. He said that as far as he can tell the finish looks totally original. We will not attempt to mess with the small bit of pitting on the top right of the tube that you can make out in the pic below just behind the rear mount/adjusters. Partof the value of this scope is it's 100% originality)</span></span>
The scope has the original eyepiece and objective screw in covers which have some very light pitting. The threads however are fine.

Lenses are uncoated and unmarked.

The external adjusters show some signs of wear to the original black anodized finish but clicks are positive and retaining spring (right term?) is strong. This doesn't worry me as I think it adds to the "vintage appeal". The mounts are in good condition and the thumbwheel screws tighten and release without any problems.

Optics and reticle are clear.

Scope full view:

Unertletc001.jpg

External adjusters/mounts:

Unertletc002.jpg

USMC marked (serial number in correct range):

Unertletc005.jpg

Objective (refinished? Markings seem clear...?)

Unertletc006.jpg

The USMC modfied handguard:

Was really concerned about how we'd tackle this part of the project.

I didn't think an original would be that easy to find.

As I could only find picture references of the original handguards, I didn't really want to start practicing woodworking and try to make one from scratch or to try to modify the original. My last woodwork lessons were a very long time ago. Skills aside, I don't have the tools available to do a proper job and buying them would have been an unecessary expense.

The only other alternative would have been to try to get one made from scratch....didn't really think this was realistic financially or technically possible as no measurements seem to be readily available to work from.

Luckily one of the guys over on milsurps.com put me in touch with Jack Miller in the US who had a USMC handguard and also a minty 12/1" heavy checkered buttplate - <span style="font-weight: bold">one shot, two kills!!</span>. That's what they call "a right result" round here.

Here they are:

Unertletc007.jpg

Unertletc013.jpg

Unertletc010.jpg

Now just waiting on the scope blocks........

Rifle is with Paul, is stripped for cleaning and servicing.

Will post more soon.

Just in case you didn't know, the scope blocks are "E" and "O" sizes.

Nice looking rifle, you're fortunate that you've got the c-stock right off the bat, as well as all the correct milled metal bands.

Brad - thanks for the input on the scope blocks.

The ones I have on the way are unmarked repros with the correct 6x48 screws.

Will post pics when they land on my doormat.

On the C Stock - despite 1903's being pretty rare here, I managed to find three potential donors that all had the C Stock!

Jim - yep, will post a report once it is done and I get it out to the range.

Re: USMC M1903 A1 / 1941 Sniper Rifle Project begi

I'm almost afraid to ask how much you paid for the Unertl!
Good luck on your project, I look forward to seeing the finished rifle.

CamW - and I'm almost ashamed to say that it cost me more than it would have to buy a new, fully tricked up SuB or Hensoldt big mag scope!

But....on the plus side, it is a very rare and desirable scope in great condition.

So I'm pretty sure (if I ever came to sell the rifle), there'd be another lunatic out there somewhere to buy it for the same
wink.gif

This SWS is my all time favorite. I would be one of those lunatics mentioned above to buy one if I could.

Look forward to seeing her up and running. Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

--KJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2) A worn worm gear in the rear sight which meant we had to hold the rear sight in position with our thumbs when shooting (not ideal!!). A replacement is on the way. </div></div>

Pretty common - shoulda said something because I have some spare 03 parts lying about, some 03a3 -

I have a butt plate for that C stock - I can tell the rifle was redone by the stock - otherwise it would have had a Scant stock but the sniper rendition used the C stock so you are good to go there!

Is it a CMP stock or original?

Keep us posted!!
smile.gif

The stock has no markings on it but was fitted to the rifle when it was imported to the UK (early 2011). It looks (and smells) pretty old but couldn't say if it was CMP or not.

Any way I could tell? Markings or such?

If it was a CMP stock, it would have a CMP cartouche / stamp on it.

I'm jealous of this project...might be my all time favorite rifle/scope combo (or at least a close second to the M40A1).

I have a Springfield 1904A3 repro that is fun to shoot, but the 1903 A1 USMC sniper rifle is just plain SEXY.

former0302 - thanks for that.

No cartouches or markings of any sort that I could see on the stock. I'll check again at the weekend in case I missed something.

Boyd's might have been making replacement C type stocks for a while too. Just checked their website and they only have hand guards listed now, but I seem to remember considering getting a C stock from them a couple of years ago.

The CMP stamp is pretty obvious, I think they placed them just under the magazine cut off switch.

Definitley no stamps under the cut-off. It was the first place I looked.

The stock looks like it has been around a while - some slight dings but plenty of crud and oil gunk inside.

probably a takeoff from something else. The "c" was used in inter-war years, especially on match rifles, and was used on the first run of 1903a4 as well. USMC continued to use them on the m1941 as well.

The reason for the scant was that it could be cut from the same blank as the straight grip, whereas the "C" required an oversize blank. This was important for logistics in war-time production, especially with the HUGE volume of 1903's that were being produced for allied use on all fronts, especially the pacific where the sandy/salty conditions proved less than ideal for some of the other weapons, like garands, and thus more 1903's were in demand than originally expected. Having the same blank meant that 1903a4 production could draw from the available pool of stock blanks, rather than be potentially halted by lack of suitable blanks... and of course, it kept costs down as well.

I did an a4 clone on a scant stock, but I broke it down and am going to re-do it with a "c" because I like those more.

Repro scope blocks from Steve Earle products arrived this morning.

Nice, deep blued finish and appear well made (lets see what the smith says...).

The measurements Steve provides on his website are very close to the original dimensions mentioned in Brophy's book - they are withing single digit thousandths of an inch on height to the originals.

For purists, there are two things to mention

1) The blocks are not engraved O or E
2) These repros do not have the slightly rounded profile on the ends that (from picture reference) the originals had.

Both these are easily remedied with care and the correct tools.

Pics:

Scopeblocks002.jpg

Scopeblocks003.jpg

Scopeblocks004.jpg

Look forward to seeing finished rifle.. Great Project....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Garry Fellers out of Texas has legit O and E bases. </div></div>

Now you tell me!!
laugh.gif

Here's the link to Gary Fellers:

http://www.garyfellers.com/Home/tabid/1935/Default.aspx

NOW......separate question.

Does anybody have any experience of shooting these Unertl scopes in the "USMC way" (i.e. without the recoil spring fitted)?

My smith is a little concerned (a) about the possible effect of recoil on a 70 year old scope that is not damped in some way and (b) return to battery if done by hand after each shot.

I have spoken to Mike at Parsons Scope Services and ordered a recoil spring so there is one there if I need it but I would prefer to keep the rifle as faithful to the original whilst not risking damage to what is an expensive and very hard to replace optic.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts/experience....

Not using a recoil spring puts less stress on the scope.

The scope is free to move as far as needed under recoil and then is pulled back into battery until it contacts the stop- I haven`t had any problems with accuracy issues shooting a M70 target this way using a Lyman Super Targetspot or my `03 USMC clone with a 1 1/4" Unertl.

When using the recoil spring the scope recoils one way and then is rapidly stopped and moved the opposite way under some amount of force (spring tension)and sharply contacts the stop.

Not using the recoil spring won`t hurt your scope or give you any accuracy problems.

DV - thanks for that, hadn't thought of it that way but makes sense.

How much movement do you see from the scope....a couple of inches or so?

let me know how shooting the old scope works out. Though, I dont think I have the nuts to actually shoot mine! THey just cost WAY too much moola! Oh, and if you didnt spend much more than an S&B, you did really well on the Unertl!

GOod luck!

JOhn

John - I'm hoping the Unertl will be as robust as the similar aged Zeiss adn No32 Scopes I regularly shoot on my Mauser 98k and Enfield No4.

The scope checked out fine - the only issue I could find was a little play in the adjustable objective.

I'm sure it'll be no problem to shoot with it.

My smith's only worry is as the post above re: returning to battery by hand and no recoil spring.

But....if this was a problem I'm sure the guys who used these for their original purpose would've changed things pretty quickly......and they didn't. SO we should be GTG.

Not using the recoil spring is actually better I think. Like posted earlier there is no stress on the scope. I have a hard recoiling 300 Win Mag with a Lyman Super target spot that had a spring. You have to get your eye so close to the scope that you worry that you will get bit by the scope. All you hae to do is pull it back after every shot. I will admit that I have forgotten at times but the sight picture will remind you.

Put a little oil on the tube and you will be fine. I have been shooting mine for decades with no problems.
03usmcrtrr75.jpg

03usmcbases.jpg

03USMC10x.jpg

emilio - I've been bit by the Zeiss on my Mauser a number of times - it's a right of paasage. Fingers crossed, it hasn't happened with the Enfield (probably because it doesn't recoil as much as the 8x57).

I hear what you are saying about the Unertl, the size of that eyepiece...it looks more likely to stick one in your eye than bounce off your eyebrow!

dieselten - beautiful rifle....thanks for sharing.

Can you guys say how much the tube moves under recoil?

depends on total recoil and how much oil is on it. Mine probably move .75 to 1.5" if not using a recoil spring and depending on the variables.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DV - thanks for that, hadn't thought of it that way but makes sense.

How much movement do you see from the scope....a couple of inches or so? </div></div>

Not much over an inch- and also, as posted by other members, there`s much less chance of getting the eye piece of such a short eye relief scope back in your eye during recoil when not using the recoil spring ass`y.

Been a while since I last updated the thread but finally got round to checking progress with the smith.

The first "dry fit" of the handguard showed that there is a little work needed to get it to fit correctly.

The wood is just a little too "fat" to allow the handguard to fit under the rear sight ramp and to get the barrel band and bayonet lug to seat correctly. Also there is a colour mismatch between the handgaurd and the original stock. Not big problems, just a little woodworking to do:

IMG_6682.jpg

IMG_6679.jpg

IMG_6680.jpg

Paul has fitted the scope blocks to the action and the barrel. There were no dramas doing this although Paul replaced the originall supplied 6x48 US screws with identical sized UK screws with a BA thread as he just couldn't find the correct sized tap in the UK - a bit of a shame but as they won't be seen, not a major problem.

He polished the receiver and barrel as per original fitting method to provide a metal-to-metal fit on the blocks. He will not refinish the polished area as this was not done on the original rifles.

We've checked as many photos as we could and read the books but could see no evidence or mention that the screws on the original blocks were staked. We'll loctite these in place to avoid the blocks working loose.

The screws will be blued to match the blocks

IMG_6709.jpg

IMG_6708.jpg

A mock up with the scope in place to check alignment:

IMG_6712.jpg

This has really whet my appetite to see the finished article........

More soon!

Beautiful, thanks I have to keep an eye on this thread. Semper Fi

Sorry Bro.. If you want to know about USMC sniping info send me a PM. I'll help if I can. Been doing this shit since 98.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry Bro.. If you want to know about USMC sniping info send me a PM. I'll help if I can. Been doing this shit since 98.
</div></div>

Not really sure why or what you are apologising for...or what "shit" you have been doing since '98.

If you've gone through this process and put one or some of these together yourself, feel free to post your experiences and show the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcMT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry Bro.. If you want to know about USMC sniping info send me a PM. I'll help if I can. Been doing this shit since 98.
</div></div>

Not really sure why or what you are apologising for...or what "shit" you have been doing since '98.

If you've gone through this process and put one or some of these together yourself, feel free to post your experiences and show the results. </div></div>

Yes please post if you have some useful information to share.....

Nice project! I wanted to put one of these together. I put in for a CMP 1903, but that is a lottery and a total crap shoot.

This is one expensive build, but it is my vote for the best sniper "system" in WWII. The 1903 is very accurate and the Unertl has got substantial magnification compared to its German competitors.

The only issue is the size of the Unertl.

I think the runner up is the Swede M41B. A great caliber with a pretty good scope all on a well-made Mauser with a quality barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice project! I wanted to put one of these together. I put in for a CMP 1903, but that is a lottery and a total crap shoot.

This is one expensive build, but it is my vote for the best sniper "system" in WWII. The 1903 is very accurate and the Unertl has got substantial magnification compared to its German competitors.

The only issue is the size of the Unertl.

I think the runner up is the Swede M41B. A great caliber with a pretty good scope all on a well-made Mauser with a quality barrel. </div></div>

They were used in the early years in Vietnam also, still, IMHO, one of the better rifles there - second to the Winchester 06...

Mate, your scope is truly nice, I envy you !!!

Ya now you have gone and done it, thinking about trashing my 03A4 project and switching over to that old Bubba Sprotized 03 Springfield I have been setting on. it would be a good candidate for a USMC Sniper, and I need one too....

ArcticLight, armydog....come on guys, don't blame me!!

Next thing I know I'll be getting the hate mails from your other half 'cos you've spent all their shoe budget on the project!
laugh.gif

bellerophon - thanks mate. Was lucky to be in the right place at the right time on that one!

No hate mail from me, I may be asking lots of questions and need to stay on your good side...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No hate mail from me, I may be asking lots of questions and need to stay on your good side... </div></div>

armydog - no worries, it's not you guys I'm worried about...it's the wives and girlfriends when they discover where you all have spent the money
laugh.gif

Happy to help any way I can though.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya now you have gone and done it, thinking about trashing my 03A4 project and switching over to that old Bubba Sprotized 03 Springfield I have been setting on. it would be a good candidate for a USMC Sniper, and I need one too....</div></div>

[vultures circling]
oooohhh... let me know what a4 project parts you decide to part with!

[/end vultures]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya now you have gone and done it, thinking about trashing my 03A4 project and switching over to that old Bubba Sprotized 03 Springfield I have been setting on. it would be a good candidate for a USMC Sniper, and I need one too....</div></div>

[vultures circling]
oooohhh... let me know what a4 project parts you decide to part with!

[/end vultures] </div></div>

God help me, i just picked up a Remington 03A3 drill rife that won't take a lot to reactivate. so looks like now i'm looking for
a barrel and will keep the scope and mounts, Oh and the Smith Corona 03A3 that I had intended for the build, and the Springfield 03, and Remington 03..........

Another update from Paul this afternoon, jobs on the 1903 this week have included:

Finishing the scope mounts - loctiting the screws, greasing the underside of the blocks to prevent rust getting into the exposed metal on the barrel and receiver. Bluing the block screws.

Relieving the handguard for a proper fit under the sight ramp and ensuring the barrel band and bayonet lug fit.

Removing the parkerized finish and polishing the bolt for smoother action and in preparation for hot blue.

Paul sent a couple of pics over of the polished bolt. He uses a 1hp industrial buffer for this - the bolt runways will also be polished but left bright:

IMG_6755.jpg

IMG_6756.jpg

We're struggling on electric etching the serial number on the bolt. We're having a bit of difficulty finding an etching pencil at a decent price and both Paul and I don't want to stamp this on the bolt. If we can't find the correct tool for the job at a reasonable price, then we will leave this for now.

Very nicely done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another update from Paul this afternoon, jobs on the 1903 this week have included:

Finishing the scope mounts - loctiting the screws, greasing the underside of the blocks to prevent rust getting into the exposed metal on the barrel and receiver. Bluing the block screws.

Relieving the handguard for a proper fit under the sight ramp and ensuring the barrel band and bayonet lug fit.

Removing the parkerized finish and polishing the bolt for smoother action and in preparation for hot blue.

Paul sent a couple of pics over of the polished bolt. He uses a 1hp industrial buffer for this - the bolt runways will also be polished but left bright:

IMG_6755.jpg

IMG_6756.jpg

We're struggling on electric etching the serial number on the bolt. We're having a bit of difficulty finding an etching pencil at a decent price and both Paul and I don't want to stamp this on the bolt. If we can't find the correct tool for the job at a reasonable price, then we will leave this for now.

</div></div> Before you blue the bolt you should double check this. All of the USMC sniper rifles where either 1903 National Match rifles or built to Match rifle specs. If memory serves me correctly the bolts where left polished. When I did my rifle I had the bolt polished and left it that way.

Maybe if someone else has more information they can help out.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

You are such a lucky fellow! What a cool rifle. The M1903 is my dream rifle - maybe someday.