• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMC XM-3 Rifle

168BTHPM

Werepig
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    Nevada
    This is cool, even includes the PVS-22, but not the can.

Civilian Marksmanship Program - Promoting firearms safety training!

885691262De1f62D4f922D95882Dd07469891577DSC5F0007.JPG

Murphy's Laws of Combat:

"If it's stupid, but it works; it ain't stupid."

That dope correlates more to mils. Not sure why he's got mils on the stock and MOA on the scope. Maybe he swapped scopes at some point.

It most likely had a Schmidt on it while in service. The only guns we had the NF's on back when that thing was in service were gas guns, that I know of.

^looks that way to me...That sounds just a little low, unless he was using some XM-308 spec9-2b CounterTango rounds. Don't ask its G-14 Classified.

In all seriousness though, I'd like to know how "extensive" DARPA's testing was about the 18.5" barrel. Good stuff.

In all seriousness though, I'd like to know how "extensive" DARPA's testing was about the 18.5" barrel. Good stuff.

I like to think it went something like this...:

Common sense fairy 1: Am I the only one here the thinks the M40A5 is a ridiculous interpretation on a field able sniper rifle?

Common sense fairy 2: you're right. Whoever thought a bench rest rifle setup was good idea to give guys that need mobility and inherent stealth is an idiot. Let's give these guys something they can easy carry, conceal, and still feasibly reach their target range without encumbering them with a 5' long weapon system. Hell, they should even be able to fire it from field positions if they need to because they may not always have a tripod which them.

It belonged to who I thought it did. He's going to get in touch with the seller. When I asked if he thought it was his, he said without a doubt. He used it in 2006 and it did have a Schmidt on it at the time.

Last edited:
    It most likely had a Schmidt on it while in service. The only guns we had the NF's on back when that thing was in service were gas guns, that I know of.

The XM-3 was issued with a NF scope, not a Schmidt, although we switched a few of them around. The XM-3 is a pretty handy little rifle. Mine shot great to 800...

Mine came with the NF. Every time I open the vault to pull a bolt action to shoot...some how I always pick the XM....I love mine and will never sell it! C

Marine Corp
    Colonial Shooting Academy

It belonged to who I thought it did. He's going to get in touch with the seller. When I asked if he thought it was his, he said without a doubt. He used it in 2006 and it did have a Schmidt on it at the time.
    I would have loved if they had put up one of my old rifles on CMP. Not that I would have ever been able to afford it, but still would have been cool as shit.

Stay frosty brother.

I know that rifle has "military cool" written all over it but +15k is just nuttso...too bad it couldn't have been offered to the original shooter at a reasonable price first.

Maybe they will toss in a "free" roll of duct tape to the lucky winner.
    Its a nice documented piece but I would rather play with the PVS22 and check out the tube.

Do you think you can get him to register on this site and give us some more info?? That would be cool!!!

I know that rifle has "military cool" written all over it but +15k is just nuttso...too bad it couldn't have been offered to the original shooter at a reasonable price first.

CMP gets big money on the unique items. An M40 from the USMC has the all time high at like $37K.

I think this will go higher with the amount of parts and the named user.

To the party that knows the Marine it was issued to I'm sure the final buyer would express a great appreciation to that Marine to provide further provenance.

Last edited:
    A custom rifle with a $10k night vision scope and a Nightforce scope isn't a terrible deal at $15k. Although everything looks pretty well used. I'd prefer new stuff made to my specs.

Some of the guys in my unit took off the S&B scope from their M40A3s to put on their XM3s because they didn't like the reticle in the Nighforce. They weren't used to it. The XM3 i fondled with that had a Nighforce still on it had an MLR reticle IIRC

It was a DARPA program... AKA money Sink.

They funnel tons of money to contractors to come up with cool shit, 90% knowning its just a wealth transfer to some companies.

Program cost average prolly came out to like 20K per rifle + accsessories. Some GS-14 and a plethora of overpaid contractors had something to do atleast.

I believe the part # on those is ca762ssal. It's a discontinued product but you might be able to find one by googling that.

It was a DARPA program... AKA money Sink.

They funnel tons of money to contractors to come up with cool shit, 90% knowning its just a wealth transfer to some companies.

Program cost average prolly came out to like 20K per rifle + accsessories. Some GS-14 and a plethora of overpaid contractors had something to do atleast.

You do realize that the internet you used to post that is a result of a (D)ARPA program? They do eat up a lot of money, but it isn't cheap learning new things, and still probably cheaper than simply fielding things without researching them *cough* M110 *cough*. DARPA actually runs pretty lean compared to others, but I understand the sentiment that their efforts are wasted - they need help focusing projects on things that soldiers can actually use and want to use. Some of the futuristic projects are goofy, but you have to fail somewhere along the line of making big advances.

Correct...not a USMC sanctioned rifle...not if was a real M40, M40A1, or A3 now you'd have a collectors item for sure. Chandler junk.

No way this rifle is worth $15k. I dont give a fuck whos rifle it is. Has this rifle even seen active service? Or did they just tape it up and scratch the paint to give it a "rugged" look? Buyer is getting hosed, IMO. Oh well.

JUNK...failed project piece.

This is based on what fact? The DARPA guns as this is one of them. Were sent to Iraq and where issued to units rotating in and out of Marine areas of responsibility. Most rifles spent 48 months of use in the combat zone and proved the point very well that this system works and works well.

These DARPA rifles are a unique aspect to the war in Iraq and the Marines that used them. The fact that Chandler's company had Hart barrel them and they did the bedding oh by the way the A1-3 McMillan stock was invented for this project is not junk. So I do not get this reply. I assume its based in some kind of fact??

John

Last edited:
    The guy who's name is on the case is still around, why don't you ask him if the rifle was worth messing with? Any recent issued military sniper rifle of any sort with it's nearly complete kit and actual documentation is worth serious bank on the collector's market.

I'm sure it will go for well more than the cost of the components. Babe Ruth used cheap ink pens to sign 50 cent baseballs and they bring tens of thousands of dollars today. Nobody is buying them for their next game.

The guy who's name is on the case is still around, why don't you ask him if the rifle was worth messing with? Any recent issued military sniper rifle of any sort with it's nearly complete kit and actual documentation is worth serious bank on the collector's market.

I'm sure it will go for well more than the cost of the components. Babe Ruth used cheap ink pens to sign 50 cent baseballs and they bring tens of thousands of dollars today. Nobody is buying them for their next game.

My gut tells me, that the guy this rifle belonged to, isnt the "babe ruth" of sniping. And probably never will be. If I had $15k to waste, id buy it and use it. It certainly wouldnt be put away. Just another rifle used by another shooter.

It was the Marine Corp's rifle and it was from a real DARPA project and it is one of 53 rifles issued to Marines for evaluation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that is the point. It will be legally sold, government property that was used in combat by the USMC and it will have all of the proper documentation.

The value is not that "babe ruth" used it, the value is that it is a real. I'm sure you can find a gun plumber to cobble a copy up for you for a couple of thousand dollars and you can shoot it till the barrel rots out. When you go to sell it, it won't be a combat tested gun that was formerly property of the USMC.

It will not be a "US property" marked rifle some guy bought from a little old lady at a gun show or some such crap and he is trying to peddle it for documented prices. You see those stories posted here from time to time.

it was the marine corp's rifle and it was from a real darpa project and it is one of 53 rifles issued to marines for evaluation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that is the point. It will be legally sold, government property that was used in combat by the usmc and it will have all of the proper documentation.

The value is not that "babe ruth" used it, the value is that it is a real. I'm sure you can find a gun plumber to cobble a copy up for you for a couple of thousand dollars and you can shoot it till the barrel rots out. When you go to sell it, it won't be a combat tested gun that was formerly property of the usmc.

It will not be a "us property" marked rifle some guy bought from a little old lady at a gun show or some such crap and he is trying to peddle it for documented prices. You see those stories posted here from time to time.

My gut tells me, that the guy this rifle belonged to, isnt the "babe ruth" of sniping. And probably never will be.

I'll be sure to let him know what you think. You probably shouldn't run your mouth about something like that because my gut tells me that you've never been in a position in your life to be issued something like that much less had a shot fired in anger at you.

Its a nice , DOCUMENTED package with very few floating around in any condition.
    It would be nice to pop off a few rounds but its a collectable far more than a shooter but I bet it still works well.

Its a nice piece for someone that has lots of play money. I would rather have a new thermal sight.......

SH members should come together, pitch in a little dough and buy Rstrick's buddy his duty rifle as a token of gratitude for his service. He's the one that put her through the gauntlet and the one who she should grow old with.