• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO 5-25 TPAL arrived. Hubba Hubba.

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Fedex arrived this AM w. my T-Pal!

Got it mounted, torqued and bore-sited on the TRG-22 earlier tonite. Used same Farrell 20 MOA down base that was under my Mk 4.

It'll get to the range w.in the next 48 hours, dial it in and I'll post photos/results then.

Details:
EREK
Mil/Mil
US#1 windage 1/10
30mm tube
Mil GAP ret.
Illum (red)
58mm objective
Anti-Cant, shades/cover, bells, whistles.

Definitely worth the wait and thanks, Doc, for the recommendations, getting the order in at the home office (and letting me test-drive yours at York!)

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. I will not be driving a Jeep over it. Don't ask.

Re: USO 5-25 TPAL arrived. Hubba Hubba.

I've had my USO for a couple of weeks now. They are awesome scopes. I have been impressed with mine.

Post pics when you get them.

Congrats! Would also like to see some pics mounted on the TRG.

Can hardly wait for the first hand range report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats! Would also like to see some pics mounted on the TRG. </div></div>

+1

I'd like to see those.

Where are the pitchers!

Here are the pitchers.

USO/TRG pictures below. Range report to follow.

pitchers.jpg

(I don't care who you are, that's funny right there...)

Pictures of the new USO

pitchers2.jpg

Note that to get the muzzle cover over the brake, I had to use a cover from my old Blackhawk Scope Cover and buckle it onto the RedTac/USO.

pitchers3.jpg

pitchers4.jpg

pitchers5.jpg

pitchers6.jpg

pitchers7.jpg

This is a home-machined extended magazine release for TRG. Solves the need to stick finger far forward to hit the mag release.

sakomag6.jpg

Cheers, Sirhr

(Sorry Savage110, I couldn't resist)

No range this PM either. %$@$%@ing End of Shift prisoner transport and now thunder storms coming in. I'll cold bore in the rain... but no point sighting in. Try for tomorrow. I do NOT like having my duty rifle down... . Cheers Sirhr

Sirhr,

How do you like your SAKO? How's the accuracy? What rounds do you use? Have you shot it to 1000 yards?

I have the opportunity to buy one exactly like yours.

Thanks! And nice looking rig!

How much up do you have from your 100(or whatever) zero with the 30mm tube? Im getting ready to put a new optic on my trg and this very peice of glass is right up there at the top of my choice. Btw nice looking rifle.

I use a Farrell 20 MOA down base, which gives me a ton of up.

First time I shot the rifle extensively, it was w.out a 20 MOA down base and I was running out above 600 yards. Had to use holdovers out to 800 (which is the furthest I have shot it.) Bought the Farrell base immediately after that school and it solved the problem.

Add in the new USO with an EREK (erector repositioning) setup, and I can theoretically get enough 'up' dialed in to use the rifle as a mortar...

But I haven't sighted the new scope in yet... so can't give you an exact answer.

If you are going to put it on a 338 Lapua 42 and you are planning on ultra-long-range shooting, you might want a 35mm tube. But for a .308 w. a down base, I don't think you would need it.

Cheers, sirhr

Yes its going on a 42 in .338 I have an Nightforce in the factory three ring mount at the moment but i intend on going to a near base with seekins rings and the 35mm tube. Thanks for the info I'm interested to see just how much up you do have when all is said and done.

Thanks
Ben

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are the pitchers.

USO/TRG pictures below. Range report to follow.

pitchers.jpg

(I don't care who you are, that's funny right there...)

Pictures of the new USO

pitchers2.jpg

Note that to get the muzzle cover over the brake, I had to use a cover from my old Blackhawk Scope Cover and buckle it onto the RedTac/USO.

pitchers3.jpg

pitchers4.jpg

pitchers5.jpg

pitchers6.jpg

pitchers7.jpg

This is a home-machined extended magazine release for TRG. Solves the need to stick finger far forward to hit the mag release.

sakomag6.jpg

Cheers, Sirhr

(Sorry Savage110, I couldn't resist) </div></div>

Where do I get one of those scope covers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Where do I get one of those scope covers? </div></div>

I know this guy
wink.gif

Sirh,

Nice looking set up, a definite improvement
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Hi Doc:

Hope your 3-day gig went well and ends up w. a return engagement! Most of those guys have great budgets!

I definitely like the setup... good recommendations across the board -- very happy with the final scope. The term 'Brick Outhouse' comes to mind...

No doubt the TRG will continue to shoot holes in holes... I just have to get some range time and get the new glass all dialed in.

Cheers,

RPR

Ok:

Finally got to the range.

No surprises. Only had time for sight in (3 rounds). Then let the rifle cool in the bag for a while and fired a cold bore/5 shot group. Rifle did exactly what it usually does... cold bore 1/4" left. The rest were right on.

Shot prone off bean bag and bipod. Lying on grass off the edge of the range. Light variable winds at 0 value (at my 6). Sun at my 4. Target is a M16A1 25 meter Zero target placed at 100 yds. These simulate a torso target at 250 meters. Love these things for their 1/4 inch grid.

First (boresight) shot low and to the right. Second slightly high and to the left. Third dead on. Counting 1/10 mil clicks as I sighted in and comparing it to the grid, the USO tracked exactly where it was supposed to. After that, I slipped my rings and set to zero/zero.

I will be checking torques on everything and then going out after work Tuesday for a more extensive shooting session... including tracking drill. But here are the initial results:

wholething.jpg

The whole rifle out at the grassy end of the range.

firstgroup.jpg

This is the target. The paper blew apart pretty bad at the end of 5 shots, so it's hard to see the group. So I peeled the paper back for a better look:

sightin.jpg

This shows the group a little better as it's in fresh cardboard. This is the same backer I used for sighting in... so two extra holes I have marked were from sighting in. (That guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy -- Ramithorn)

One more picture after I cut out the target and taped it in my databook. The torn edges of the target smooth out a bit better to show the group.

databook.jpg

This is an out-of-the-box TRG in .308 with brake.

I'll get an 'official' set of groups on Tuesday to fit in the forum group shot policy and show a better sample. This was all I had time for today.

Oh, yeah... and love the USO scope. More to follow on its performance, but I don't expect any surprises from the USO.

Cheers,

Sirhr.