• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes USO Dual Foca Plane

Re: USO Dual Foca Plane

I got the e-mail and I like what I see. Sounds like a very simple solution to the drawbacks inherent in both FFP and SFP.

Guys,

Here are the pictures of the reticles that are available. These scopes are available for immediate purchase. Our new machine has been pumping parts out at the cyclic rate so our lead times are down to about 6 weeks.

398479983.jpg

This is the 4x Second focal plane horseshoe reticle.

398479984.jpg

The 4x Second focal segmented circle reticle.

398479985.jpg

And the first focal MIL scale reticle.

We should have pictures looking through the scope up later today.

Jason

Jason - Any thoughts about or inherent problems with retrofitting existing SN-4s with the illuminated SFP reticle?

Hey Guys,
Here are some pictures of the DFP at 1X and 4X so you can get an idea what it looks like through the scope.

1X at 100 yards
398480798.jpg

4X at 100 yards
398480803.jpg

1X at 10 yards
398480796.jpg

4X at 10 yards
398480802.jpg

Hope that gives a better visual for you guys!
John III

Hi Everyone,

Here are some pictures of the Dual Focal Plane reticle system looking through the scope. We're discussing the ability to convert existing scopes into the DFP design and we hope to have that information for you all very soon.

DFP1x10yds-vi.jpg

Dual Focal Plane Reticle 1x @ 10yds

DFP1x100yds-vi.jpg

Dual Focal Plane Reticle 1x @ 100yds

DFP4x10yds-vi.jpg

Dual Focal Plane Reticle 4x @ 10yds

DFP4x100yds-vi.jpg

Dual Focal Plane Reticle 4x @ 100yds

This is very cool! Wish I could have gotten it in my 1.8-10x44 I got a few months ago.

USO crew- Any chance for some pix of the illuminated reticle? A few other questions:
1. What part of the reticle illuminates? Is it just the dot?
How bright is the illumination?
2. What is the battery life?
3. Will u offer it with other FFP reticles or just the one shown?
Thanks-
Nick

I got the Email, but not the money to buy one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick W.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO crew- Any chance for some pix of the illuminated reticle? A few other questions:
Thanks-
Nick </div></div>

+1 I Would love to see pics of the reticle illuminated...

I sent Jeff an email regarding my 1.5-6, hopefully its not too late to get this on the build!

This adds a whole new dimension to one of the best selections of features put out by any scope manufacturer!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nick W.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO crew- Any chance for some pix of the illuminated reticle? A few other questions:
Thanks-
Nick </div></div>

Hi Nick,
Here are some answers for ya.
1. On the reticles that you see above, just the RFP reticle is illuminated. This is the segmented circle and the horseshoe style.
2. Battery life is questionable, there is an auto shut off at 1 hour. But if you were to set it at the very highest setting and it wouldn't auto off, it would last for approx. 100 hours.
3. Yes, we will make several different reticles for the FFP, this was just the 1st. Next will be basically the same thing but in MOA. After that we will be looking for feedback from customers on what they would like to see.

I will try to get some pictures up with the lit reticle.
Thansk,
John III

One question based on eye relief and USO's I've owned in the past. How forgiving is 3.5" eye relief on this new model?

If I throw the rifle up and it happens to be 3.3" will I have to take time to find the sight picture at 3.5"?

How do you switch between FFP and SFP? Is this something that can be done on the fly or is it more involved?

C2 DFP conversion for USO 1.5-6x

Is there anyone with a 1.5-6x SN-4 and C2 reticle who is interested in a DFP conversion? I might be interested in a 1 MOA dot in the SFP at 6x. The central cross hairs are 1 mil (or ~3.4 MOA) long in the FFP, so a 1 MOA SFP dot at 6x would be same size as the cross hairs at ~1.7x. At 6x, the diameter of the SFP would be about 1/3 the length of the FFP central cross hairs. I think a DFP conversion of this scope is possible only if the existing FFP reticle is not changed (due to the cost and difficulty of doing so). It should be mentioned that illumination of the FFP C2 reticle would be eliminated and only the SFP dot would light up.

Here's a table with the relative subtensions of the FFP cross hairs (FFP CH) and the SFP dot at various magnifications:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mag---FFP CH--------SFP 1 MOA Dot</span>
6x------1 mil--------0.3 mil (1 MOA by design)
5x------1 mil--------0.35 mil (1.17 MOA)
4x------1 mil--------0.44 mil (1.5 MOA)
3x------1 mil--------0.59 mil (2 MOA)
2x------1 mil--------0.88 mil (3 MOA)
1.5-----1 mil--------1.17mil (4 MOA)

Re: C2 DFP conversion for USO 1.5-6x

If I understand correctly, only the circle sections of the SFP are illuminated and not the center 1MOA dot?
If the dot is not illuminated, at 1x, what is the point?

Hope I'm missing something as I am ready to buy a 1x4 or 1x6 and up until I saw this thread, I was leaning towards another S&B.

While the dot is smaller than the horseshoe or segmented circle, resulting in them likely "appearing" brighter than the dot; both the ring and the dot should be lit the same.

ssgkyle said: "The reticle lighting is brighter because the second focal plane reticle is the one that is illuminated." earlier in this thread. both the ring and the dot are in the second focal plane.

I didn't see anyone from USO suggesting the dot would not be lit.

I'm eager to see some illuminated reticle pictures. In reading ealrier posts, I was under the impression that the 1MOA dot was in the FFP.

Per JBW, in this thread:
"<span style="font-weight: bold">1. On the reticles that you see above, just the RFP reticle is illuminated. This is the segmented circle and the horseshoe style.</span>"

The important part is "just the RFP part is illuminated".
I am sure both the ring and dot are lit; both are in the RFP.
RFP and SFP are interchangeable in this discussion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Per JBW, in this thread:
"<span style="font-weight: bold">1. On the reticles that you see above, just the RFP reticle is illuminated. This is the segmented circle and the horseshoe style.</span>"

The important part is "just the RFP part is illuminated".
I am sure both the ring and dot are lit; both are in the RFP.
RFP and SFP are interchangeable in this discussion.
</div></div>

Understood. Looking forward to seeing some illuminated pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anyone with a 1.5-6x SN-4 and C2 reticle who is interested in a DFP conversion? I might be interested in a 1 MOA dot in the SFP at 6x. The central cross hairs are 1 mil (or ~3.4 MOA) long in the FFP, so a 1 MOA SFP dot at 6x would be same size as the cross hairs at ~1.7x. At 6x, the diameter of the SFP would be about 1/3 the length of the FFP central cross hairs. I think a DFP conversion of this scope is possible only if the existing FFP reticle is not changed (due to the cost and difficulty of doing so). It should be mentioned that illumination of the FFP C2 reticle would be eliminated and only the SFP dot would light up.

Here's a table with the relative subtensions of the FFP cross hairs (FFP CH) and the SFP dot at various magnifications:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mag---FFP CH--------SFP 1 MOA Dot</span>
6x------1 mil--------0.3 mil (1 MOA by design)
5x------1 mil--------0.35 mil (1.17 MOA)
4x------1 mil--------0.44 mil (1.5 MOA)
3x------1 mil--------0.59 mil (2 MOA)
2x------1 mil--------0.88 mil (3 MOA)
1.5-----1 mil--------1.17mil (4 MOA) </div></div>

Right here! I got one from the group buy, but if I could get a DFP retrofit it would make this the perfect scope! Very interested in this idea.

please post illumination of the 1.5-6x i would really like to see this>
i am in the market right now. just trying to make up my mind

This is great news ... hoping this will push the development of a Dual Focal SN3 style ...

For you younger run and gun guys this looks pretty tight ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgtkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes the dot in the center is illuminated. </div></div>

Jason: Do the new DFP units utilize a new illumination system? If not, I can understand the reticle being daylight visible due to the SFP being closer to the LED emitter, but is it close to Aimpoint or S&B brightness or dark on a bright background and visible on a dark background?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Singlestack Wonder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgtkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes the dot in the center is illuminated. </div></div>

Jason: Do the new DFP units utilize a new illumination system? If not, I can understand the reticle being daylight visible due to the SFP being closer to the LED emitter, but is it close to Aimpoint or S&B brightness or dark on a bright background and visible on a dark background? </div></div>

On another forum, someone else from U.S. Optics stated that the RFP circle/dot illumination is not daylight visible? Perhaps that is why we have not seen any illuminated reticle pics yet?

I hope this issue is cleared up soon as I am ready to release funds on another scope. If the illuminated reticle on the scope shown above is not daylight visible, I'll be adding another S&B to the stable.

w/o being daylight visible would kill this scope for me. i was planning on buying the 1.5-6 for 3 gun. we only shoot during the day.

Another great innovative offering from USO !! And, American made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would also like to see pictures of the lit dot reticle in daylight. </div></div>

Guys, we will get one of these made up next week and I will post pictures. The two that we already made went to our outside sales guys, I will seee if they can get a picture of it illuminated, but if not it won't be until next week when the bodies come back from anodizing.
John III

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would also like to see pictures of the lit dot reticle in daylight. </div></div>

Guys, we will get one of these made up next week and I will post pictures. The two that we already made went to our outside sales guys, I will seee if they can get a picture of it illuminated, but if not it won't be until next week when the bodies come back from anodizing.
John III </div></div>

JBW#3: Please clarify for us if the RFP illumination is daylight visible or not. The announcement in the 1st post here states that it is. A few of us are keeping our fingers crossed and our money ready if it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Singlestack Wonder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dogman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would also like to see pictures of the lit dot reticle in daylight. </div></div>

John III </div></div>

JBW#3: Please clarify for us if the RFP illumination is daylight visible or not. The announcement in the 1st post here states that it is. A few of us are keeping our fingers crossed and our money ready if it is. </div></div>

I've emailed and PM'ed several USO reps and can't get an answer regarding the RFP illumination and it's daytime brightness. I asked for a comparison to a meopta or aimpoint's brightness and got no response. I really want to get one of these scopes, but the lack of a straight forward answer on the daytime illumination is a little frustrating.

he said he will have answers next week.

wait for it.

we are all hoping for the same thing.

a 1.5-6x daytime visible would be a very hot optic for 3 gun.

Here are some pictures that my sales rep sent me from the road.

Some of you are asking if it is daylight visible, yes, the LED lights up the RFP reticle really well. If you are looking at a completely white wall in complete sunlight it washes out a little, but that will happen with all scopes, and when it does it will look like a normal reticle anyway.
398597908.jpg

398597907.jpg

398597906.jpg

I really like the dual focal plane concept! When in doubt, you always have a quick reference with your segmented circle, yet still maintain the GAP.