• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes USO Dual Foca Plane

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    So who else got the email regarding the USO Dual Focal Plane scope ?

DFP_Specs.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> U.S. Optics the leading manufacturer in custom rifle scopes has listened to your suggestions and we are now offering the much awaited DFP (Dual Focal Plane) line of SN-4 scopes. With this new technology you are able to have a RFP (Rear Focal Plane) reticle that acts like a red dot sight with daytime visible lit reticle. The FFP (First Focal Plane) stays proportionate to the target at any magnification, this is useful for ranging and leading moving targets.
    In the 1-4X model, the 1X setting is truly 1X and allows for the merging of the sight picture and your free eye. This allows the operator to use the sight like a red dot in CQB mode, then turn the magnification to 4X for further engagements. We are also offering the DFP option on the 1.5-6X SN-4 as well.
    Our new push button lit reticle module offers extremely long battery life with the automatic shut off feature. Why spend the money to buy to optics when you can have it all in one package!</div></div>

Re: USO Dual Foca Plane

I got it and was very interested at the concept. I'd like to get my hands on one...

Wow, that's cool. I've never seen a scope like that. Wonder if they'll make one with a higher magnification.

Locking?

Mini EREK?

MIL or MOA?

Total Elevation?

Reticle? Half MIL tics? Stadia line weight?

Who's definition of 'daylight bright'?

How big is the dot?

Tube size?

Availability?

Good luck

I'm really looking foward to checking one out. I believe they are going to eventually add it to the higher magnification scopes. Very cool concept and I really like seeing the new innovations coming from US Optics.

is this a special club that gets these emails ?? LOL

Are these available to purchase already or are they a future item ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is this a special club that gets these emails ?? LOL

Are these available to purchase already or are they a future item ?</div></div>

I think you can order one up from CS Tactical.

Hello All,

Yes these scopes are available.

To answer some of your questions:

The reticle lighting is brighter because the second focal plane reticle is the one that is illuminated.

The reticle is in MILS

The dot in the center of the second focal plane reticle is 1 TMOA

Tube size is 30mm

Feel free to ask me any other questions.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's what Leupold hasn't been able to do in their CQBSS production scope, so far at least. </div></div>

If only USO would do this in a 1 to 8 power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's what Leupold hasn't been able to do in their CQBSS production scope, so far at least. </div></div>

If only USO would do this in a 1 to 8 power. </div></div>

USO has spoken about a 1-8 right here on this site.
    I bet if enough interest is shown they will reciprocate.

Of course, I do not speak for them.

I am very excited about the 1-4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgtkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ed.

</div></div>

What does this mean - the dot is 1 MOA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgtkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ed.

</div></div>

What does this mean - the dot is 1 MOA? </div></div>
    Yeah.....one of the many terms that get created when people modify standards.
    TMOA=True Minute Of Angle
    SMOA=Shooters Minute Of Angle (1" at 100 yards)

I wish both terms would die.
    It's either MOA, or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgtkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ed.

</div></div>

What does this mean - the dot is 1 MOA? </div></div>

T = TRUE MOA; S = "Shooter's" MOA, or IPHY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This probably means 1 TMOA at 4x and 4 TMOA at 1x. </div></div>
    Good point there. Is it 1 TMOA at 1x or 4x?....since it is in the rear(2nd) plane.

Wait - you mean the RDS feature is 1 MOA? Seriously?

Out of curiosity - why not 4 - 6 MOA - a usable size for in tight?

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This probably means 1 TMOA at 4x and 4 TMOA at 1x. </div></div>

If it is second plane it should be like a Short dot - the dot stays the same size regardless of mag value.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This probably means 1 TMOA at 4x and 4 TMOA at 1x. </div></div>

If it is second plane it should be like a Short dot - the dot stays the same size regardless of mag value.

Good luck </div></div>
    It stays the same "apparent" size to the shooter, but if it's in the 2nd plane it varies in size relative to target as power varies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am very interested, although I don't know if the merits of the design will be truly realized on a 4x maximum magnification. </div></div>

I think it needs to be at least 1-6 to take full advantage of the SFP/FFP sighting system. Also, a 1-6 is probably more than enough for most 223/556 shooters. How many are really shooting at more than 600 yards? If 1-6 cheaps it cheaper, smaller, better eye-rgonomics ... that would be the killer scope.

Can't wait to see the reticle pics.

Where is the thread on the USO 1-8?

Maybe I need to go back and read the specs, but my impression is that the dot is in the second focal plane so it will remain the same size (1moa @100yds) vs increasing as you turn the magnification up.

That is my beef with the current short dot (I have one). The dot is great at one power for up close stuff but increases as you crank up the magnification. The dot is counter productive at longer ranges b/c it obscures the target due to the larger size.

On this new scope, I believe the reticle is in the first focal plane so it is usable for leads, milling etc at all powers and the dot is in the second focal plane so it remains small as you increase magnification. If they've got this right, I suspect this scope will be very popular with 3-gun shooters.

Per the e-mail it looks like it will be available in their 1.5-6x also:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"We are also offering the DFP option on the 1.5-6X SN-4 as well".</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I need to go back and read the specs, but my impression is that the dot is in the second focal plane so it will remain the same size (1moa @100yds) vs increasing as you turn the magnification up.

That is my beef with the current short dot (I have one). The dot is great at one power for up close stuff but increases as you crank up the magnification. The dot is counter productive at longer ranges b/c it obscures the target due to the larger size.

On this new scope, I believe the reticle is in the first focal plane so it is usable for leads, milling etc at all powers and the dot is in the second focal plane so it remains small as you increase magnification. If they've got this right, I suspect this scope will be very popular with 3-gun shooters.

</div></div>
    The specs arew correct, it is you who are mistaken here.

FFP reticle: reticle components remain the same size as the target when power is adjusted.
    Rear(SFP)reticle: reticle components vary, relative to the target as power is adjusted.

This notion that a rear focal plane reticle can cover the same amount of a target at all powers is wrong.
    This is why people wanted FFP reticle scopes in the first place....because Rear (SFP) reticle scopes are only correct at one particular power setting.

I'd definitely be interested in a 1-8x. Premier is already doing one with dual focal planes. Some of us is holding off on the S&B and Leupold offerings, waiting to see what develops.

I also would like to see a 1-8 USO with a 6moa dot on rear focal plane and a bdc reticle for 223 for the precision shots out to 600yds on the front focal plane.

Got the e-mail, it was nice to be on the list.

I'd order a USO 1-8 as my next scope if they end up offering it. Excited to see more on this 1-4 too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I need to go back and read the specs, but my impression is that the dot is in the second focal plane so it will remain the same size (1moa @100yds) vs increasing as you turn the magnification up.

</div></div>
    The specs arew correct, it is you who are mistaken here.

FFP reticle: reticle components remain the same size as the target when power is adjusted.
    Rear(SFP)reticle: reticle components vary, relative to the target as power is adjusted.

This notion that a rear focal plane reticle can cover the same amount of a target at all powers is wrong.
    This is why people wanted FFP reticle scopes in the first place....because Rear (SFP) reticle scopes are only correct at one particular power setting. </div></div>

No, I think I got it right. Dot in the rear (second) focal plane so it doesn't get bigger/smaller when magnification is changed. Reticle in the front (first) focal plane so it does get bigger/smaller when magnification is changed so it is consistent for leads and milling of targets.

Nobody likes the dot in the first (front) focal plane b/c when magnification is cranked up, the dot gets large and obscures small targets at distance.

We are on the same page.

Most excellent concept if it is done well and I believe it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's what Leupold hasn't been able to do in their CQBSS production scope, so far at least. </div></div>

If only USO would do this in a 1 to 8 power. </div></div>

wink.gif

John III

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait - you mean the RDS feature is 1 MOA? Seriously?

Good luck </div></div>

On 1X it is 4 MOA, 4X it is 1 MOA.
    John III

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait - you mean the RDS feature is 1 MOA? Seriously?

Good luck </div></div>

On 1X it is 4 MOA, 4X it is 1 MOA.
    John III </div></div>

Gottcha - this sounds great...

When will this be up on your site?

Good luck

Mo;
    Just trying to help.....in one of the few areas I think I have a "fairly" good grasp. Still prone to messing it up as always.
    smile.gif

Didn't mean to sound like a prick; to you or DT1.

While I am not the brightest, I have had my head wrapped up in the DFP concept for a while now. I have a great deal of interest in it's use in sights. Pretty bullish on USO as well, but you knew that.

I need to get my hands on one of these.

No worries bro'
    smile.gif
    we're definitely on the same page with scope construction and USO quality!

1-8 please!

Break out the US#4 Mini-EREK.

Why not axe the monster power ring for a conservative cattail? Similar to the Swaro Z6 and Minox Z5.

Just saying
    smile.gif

I think John et al at USO are listening and working on new ideas. I would be happy with a DFP upgrade to my existing 1.5-6x SN-4 as I shoot 223 and not 308. A 1-8x would be expensive to develop, so DFP in existing designs is the way to go initially. Cat tails, a mini EREK, and a covered low-profile windage knob are good suggestions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A 1-8x would be expensive to develop,</div></div>

Yes but, based on John's teasing it's in process.

I want to see which reticle was picked to go with the dot. Hopefully it's finer than than the 6x JNG. Correct me if i'm wrong here but the 1.8-10 JNG is a finer subtension over the 6x. I'd rather see the 10x JNG in the 1.5-6 DFP, minus the ring of course.

I think you can pick whatever reticle you want in the FFP, they are two different reticles. I think the dot goes in the ocular assembly, so a retrofit of existing SN-4s might be possible. Just a guess on my part.